So, about our watcher's title...

... During the run of POE1. We became a thayn, which is more or less comparable to a baron as I understand it. I realize this was not mandatory, so disregard this if you just said no to Caed Nua, however:

These are late medieval / early renaissance times. When Caed Nua is destroyed in POE2, what happens to our lands and title? Did the Earl just go "whelp, you're impoverished and defenseless, I'm assimilating your lands into mine, so there!" ... Or do we still technically have a fiefdom home in the Dyrwood?

If no, are we still considered a noble (in name), regardless of character background?

Edited by Yenkaz

Well, you're right. But since you are the one who rebuilt Caed Nua, regular folks in the Dyrwood will probably blame the gigantic adra statue destroying everything in its path on you. Maybe there would even be a trial if you are guilty or not, but I guess it might go as well as the last trial you were attending. ;)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I recall you were given Caed Nua as a roadwarden, no? Being a warden over a castle/fief doesn't make you nobility nor would it be hereditary. So losing Caed Nua would remove your wardenship over that area. 

But if in the world of Eora roadwarden would be something more akin to baron it would be debatable if you still own the fiefdom. The only reason you were given the title was because you had Caed Nua. And (I'm assuming) since you bugger off right after Cuad Nua is wrecked and go on a pleasure cruise I think your lands would be forfeit since you actually abandoned your lands. As a subject of Dyrwood you still have a duty. I suppose you then still have a claim but I see no reason why any of the peers of Dyrwood would back up that claim since there wouldn't be a benefit to it. Ofcourse if you had a noble background in character creation you'd most likely still be roadwarden(noble blood is pretty important).

Also doubt you'll be considered a noble. With a noble background it's usually meant the PC was raised as a noble. So he'd be a child of nobility and thus be taught in the ways of a noble. A barbarian who received Cuad Nua wouldn't be considered a noble since he'd just be a barbarian who was given a title. He doesn't have the lineage of a real nobleman.

Edited by Hybridsalmon
  • Like 2

No. The Thayn of Caed Nua is always called the 'Roadwarden' because of its control of the crucial crossroads. It is supposed to be a ceremonial honorific, not a description of your job. I am pretty sure you would hold it for life even with Caed Nua nothing but a gaping hole in the ground.

So far as I could tell the Watcher is a noble and a vassal to the Erl, which is why he takes your rent money.

Edit: Presuming you did the quest that ended with the Erl bestowing your title on you of course.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 3

If you won the Battle of Yenwood, I believe the Ambassador notes that Caed Nua is yours will be your descendants', so you're not merely a viceroy, but the actual lord of Caed Nua.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure if your land is destroyed you can still have your title if you are landless. There were plenty of disposed kings or emperors in history that went into exile wearing their empty titles, I'm pretty sure. But the Watcher still has a better case then them, he probably still owns the actual land.

Edited by Oblomovkin
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Steward, who oversaw the keep in your absence, is no longer there. We don’t know a whole lot about the story in Deadfire, but it sounds as though rebuilding Caed Nua (or finding someone to help you do so) will be pretty close to dead last on our list of priorities.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

The Steward, who oversaw the keep in your absence, is no longer there. We don’t know a whole lot about the story in Deadfire, but it sounds as though rebuilding Caed Nua (or finding someone to help you do so) will be pretty close to dead last on our list of priorities.

I thought a chunk of her was on the Defiant

• Like 1

She is

...on the Defiant

...as in “not at Caed Nua”

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

She is

...on the Defiant

...as in “not at Caed Nua”

Okay but what if I rename the Defiant "Caed Nua"

Checkmate.

• Like 5