Strong AoE-hitting MC. Which class/race can be?

Sacred Immolation is the weapon you're looking for. Being able to use it from the backrow is the main reason I recommanded you 18 INT.

But well, you might try ranger. I just hope you'll be happy this time ^^

Ya with a big INT you can use it from the back. Backliner Paladins need to be smarter then us melee guys :p

If I’m in melee with a Paladin 15 is enough hell I’ve done 13 lately in INT on a frontline guy (none Darcozzi) and it’s enough.

Have gun will travel.

Sacred Immolation is the weapon you're looking for. Being able to use it from the backrow is the main reason I recommanded you 18 INT.

But well, you might try ranger. I just hope you'll be happy this time ^^

Don't judge me wrong... I am very happy of your character design. I'm just a "perfectionist" who likes to have as much as I can :p

I believe ranger to be a little less interesting than a paladin.. but.. well.. in future I may try. For now, if I may go with paladin and get AoE I'll be very happy..

If there'd be a MC that does many things AND goes AoE it'd be wonderful, but alas, I'm no fan of casters and Chanter...has always seemed dull to me..dunno why.

Little ps:

Are ciphers considered proper casters? I like them, because of their mental twist to the usual casting.. so for me it'd be viable..

Edited by Slack83er
  • Like 3

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Ciphers are great with a cool mix of powers; in the early game, their charm, paralyze and dominate abilities make difficult encounters much easier, and once you reach level seven you'll use Silent Scream a lot; it a great AOE effect. I always like to have a ranger cipher who disarms traps in every run, and sometimes use a dual wield melee cipher MC.  They also have some of the best DoT powers, which are particularly useful against powerful foes with high DR, like dragons. While ciphers have no limit on their powers, unlike Vancian casters, they cannot open up combat with them, but have to build up focus first. For this reason, I also like having a druid in my party, typically the boar-shifting build that Boeroer suggested in another post, with high MIG, CON, and INT. It's great to open up combat with a strategically placed Overwhelming wave, which is a great damaging and crowd-controlling AOE spell, followed by a returning storm or relentless storm, both of which are great AOE spells with great CC (stuns) as well. Then the druid can shift and deal massive damage to individual targets. I always like to have a Paladin and Chanter too, who are likewise great when they reach levels 13 and 9 respectively. Lastly, I like have a priest. They also have some great AOE spells. Shining beacon is great, and Cleansing Flame is great against foes who are already afflicted with various DoT effects, like the Cipher's disintegration, the Chanter's Dragon Thrashed, and Boar-shifted druids wounding attacks.

Well.. I reckon that cipher is a good char, but he lacks a specific asset: He can't open a fight. While a ranger can open a fight with an arrow, a paladin can open with a FoD and so on... the cipher must accrue focus before being able to use any strong ability... That makes the main difference between 'em. Too bad that the bow only works with 3 classes... but at this point, I'll keep the pally. With 18 Int he'll have a quite large AoE with SI... 

This is the only plan I can see..

• Like 1

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

While a cipher cannot open with a major spell (e.g. Borrowed Instinct) they can still open with a (decent) spell, e.g. at just Level 2 you have enough starting focus to open with Whisper of Treason. Later you can open with Psychovampiric Shield until you have enough focus for Borrowed Instinct. Alternatively you can alpha strike with a gun to generate large focus which can allow you to then cast a big spell

Oh my bad.. I didn't think of the starting focus... that opens back again for ciphers :) anyone got a build?

Depends on various factors such as solo or party, if you’re trying no reload play or not, difficulty level, min max factor and whether willing to respec.

For a high difficulty solo I would use a defensive build. Something like:

Coastal Aumaua (Moon Godlike and Wild Orlan also good)

MIG 20

CON 10

DEX 7

PER 12

INT 19

RES 10

You can min max a bit more to taste. If respeccing more RES and CON early at expense of MIG and PER. At higher levels more PER and reduce CON and RES a bit.

Weapon and small shield build. Biting whip then lots of defence...sword & shield style, veteran’s recovery, superior deflection. Later you can take stuff like draining whip, psychic and brutal backlash, sneak attack etc (Ciphers have an abundance of great talents to pick from).

Alternative more aggressive build for party play or if you don’t mind reloading would be a two handed cipher (Firebrand / Tidefall etc)

MIG 10

CON 8

DEX 18

PER 18

INT 19

RES 5

That's great, but I'd go ranged to get the bow later.. and min max is something I don't like, since I play easy.. I rarely drop something below 8

Oh my bad.. I didn't think of the starting focus... that opens back again for ciphers :) anyone got a build?

Noone?  ;(

MaxQuest gave some cipher builds with recommendations for the powers optimal to each one in a thread last year.

Thank you! I didn't know such thread existed! Right now I'm on the pally, but will move to cipher next playthrough!

MaxQuest gave some cipher builds with recommendations for the powers optimal to each one in a thread last year.

Thank you! I didn't know such thread existed! Right now I'm on the pally, but will move to cipher next playthrough!

You're welcome! It's an interesting thread, and especially useful if you're interested in cipher builds.