What if you could have a Fighter who hates everything and everyone? What if this Fighter specifically set out to be able to take on every last thing he meets on the road? And what if the end result is that he always has something on hand to take out any enemy he faces?

Special thanks to Boeroer for his advice in building and fine-tuning this Fighter build!

DretfZ5.jpg

===================================
The Universal Misanthrope
Difficulty: PotD v. 3.07
--------------------------------------------------------------
Class: Fighter
Race: Boreal Dwarf
Background: The Living Lands - Colonist
Stats (char creation):
MIG: 21
CON: 19
DEX: 17
PER: 10
INT: 8
RES: 3
Skills: Stealth 1, Athl. 8, Lore 4, Mech. 0, Surv. 13
Talents (a=auto, r=recommended, !=important)

Rapid Recovery

Weapon Focus: Soldier (!)

Weapon Mastery: Soldier ®

Two-Handed Style (!)

Bonus Knock Down

Arms Bearer ®

Runner's Wounding Shot

Savage Attack

Abilities
Hunter's Instincts (a) (!)
Constant Recovery (a)

Disciplined Barrage (!)

Confident Aim (!)

Weapon Specialization: Soldier ®

Armored Grace ®

Knock Down (!)

Fearless ®

Charge (!)

Sundering Blow

---------------------------------------------------------------
Items (*=additional echantments by me; !=important, r=recommended):

Weapon set 1: Tidefall (!Wounding, *!Slaying: Beast, *Legendary)
Weapon set 2: The Hours of St. Rumbalt (Annihilation, Overbearing, *!Slaying: Kith, *Superb)

Weapon set 3: St. Ydwen's Redeemer (Soulbound, !Destroys Spirits)

Boots: Shod-in-Faith

Head: Tempered Helm

Armor: Blackwarden's Breast

Neck: Ycg Br Tomb Fragment OR Lost Periapt of the Winding Path

Belt: Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer

Rings: Bartender's Ring, the Ring of Wonder

Hands: Celebrant's Gloves OR Forgemaster's Gloves

Quick slots: potions
-----------------------------------------------------------------

What we have here is a fairly standard offensive 2H Fighter build. The trick to this guy? He's built and geared up to possess ALL of the hater talents and/or their closest equivalents in terms of gear enchantments; thus, this is a guy who's more than capable of taking on anything he comes across in his adventure. These 'hater talents' can be accumulated as follows;

Wilders and Primordials: This is why the Universal Misanthrope (or UM) has to be a Boreal Dwarf; Hunter's Instincts. That's +15 ACC to two monster types right off the bat, saving you a lot of investment on acquiring hater talents by any other means.

Beasts: The Blackwarden's Breast comes with Aura of the Hunt, which gives +15 ACC against Beasts. Add the Slaying: Beast enchantment on Tidefall, and even Dragons will quail at the sight of the UM.

Kith: For fighting against Kith enemies in particular, the UM has a specific sword reserved for such occasions; The Hours of St. Rumbalt, given the Slaying: Kith enchantment. I chose The Hours as the anti-Kith weapon due to its Overbearing enchantment; Kith are some of the best candidates to knock Prone, since they can be dangerous enough to warrant the status effect and are not likely to have the ridiculous Fortitude needed to withstand it.

Vessels: The obvious choice here is St Ydwen's Redeemer, due to the Destroys Spirits enchantment. The Bartender's Ring also lets the UM do extra damage to Vessels, even if the Redeemer doesn't proc with an attack. Unfortunately, I've yet to find anything that gives extra ACC against Vessels, but the Redeemer more than makes up for it.

Spirits: The Bartender's Ring lets the UM do extra damage to Spirits, and the Ycg Br Tomb Fragment gives extra ACC if you're lucky enough to get its Stronghold quest. Since most Spirits are vulnerable to fire damage, this is the time when you pull out the Firebrand from the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer to burn them; the option to throw out a Torrent of Flame when surrounded by those pesky Spirits don't hurt either.

Some of the other gear that the UM packs doesn't contribute 'hater talents' per se, but helps the UM do his job even better;

Shod-in-Faith: Speaks for itself, really.

Tempered Helm: Boosts the UM's defenses against Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed, and - more importantly given his abysmal Will save - Confused, Charmed, and Dominated. Prior to acquiring the Tempered Helm, the UM is best served running with a Goldpact Knight who has Bond of Duty, who can neutralize the UM's weakness to mindwhammies temporarily.

Celebrant's Gloves: Thanks to his low RES, the UM also has abysmal Concentration; a problem that is easily solved with the Holy Meditation Spelldefense that Celebrant's Gloves offer. If the UM is packing the Lost Periapt, you can choose to give this up for extra Firebrand charges from Forgemaster's Gloves instead.

Lost Periapt of the Winding Path: If you're not lucky enough to get the Ycg Br Tomb Fragment (which honestly is not that big a deal), this is a reasonable alternative with a RES bonus, Concentration bonus, and an extra Consecrated Ground that the UM can cast if and when he finds the (rare) breather moment to do so.

The Ring of Wonder: Second Chance is always useful to get the UM back on his feet, and a chance to get to safety, whenever he gets knocked out.

The UM starts out quite squishy thanks to his low defensive stats, and will have to be handled carefully in the early part of the game. But when he's got all his levels and gear, when he's feature-complete and ready to go? Turns out the guy is a real boss-killer; I've seen him kick some ass pretty much by himself, with the rest of the party pretty much only there to buff him up, and keep the mobs off his back while he goes after the big one.

Dragons? Knocks the Sky Dragon down to a mere mook, makes the Adra Dragon his bitch, goes toe to toe with the Alpine Dragon and wins cleanly. No Paralyze or Petrify cheese necessary, it's all him. That's not even mentioning Gafonercos; poor thing never had a chance.

Kraken? Wait for buffs, Disciplined Barrage, Charge in, Knock Down and Prone that ugly mug, hack away a few more times, done.

Concelhaut? Equip the Redeemer, repeat the same strategy. Turning lich doesn't seem so smart when one proc of Destroys Vessels settles your hash, does it?

Llengrath? Buff yourself all you like, doesn't matter when the UM keeps sweeping you off your feet with the anti-Kith enchanted Hours. Turisulfus is the only Dragon I haven't seen the UM take out by himself... only because he was the last one standing of his group, being slowly harassed to death by a bunch of mere kith chipping at him with auto-attacks.

Woedica's Judges? Redeemer, repeat the same strategy twice. Both statues got shattered before Thaos could jump into them.

I've had a lot of fun with the UM. Now here it is; take him and have fun with him. :grin:

Edited by Ascaloth
  • Like 7

Special thanks to Boeroer for his advice in building and fine-tuning this Fighter build!

You're welcome.

What did I do? ;)

The best piece advice you gave me was to drop Unbroken, instead of Charge. That was insightful; not only did this retain the UM's ability to get where he needs to be in a hurry, I've had several occasions of comedy where I aimed the UM's Charge at the rear of a group of xaurips, and he straight up splattered several on his way to his destination. :brows:

What if you could have a Fighter who hates everything and everyone? What if this Fighter specifically set out to be able to take on every last thing he meets on the road? And what if the end result is that he always has something on hand to take out any enemy he faces?

DretfZ5.jpg

The Universal Misanthrope

Difficulty: PotD v. 3.07

Class: Fighter

Race: Boreal Dwarf

Background: The Living Lands - Colonist

Stats (char creation):

MIG: 21

CON: 19

DEX: 17

PER: 10

INT: 8

RES: 3

Skills: Stealth 1, Athl. 8, Lore 4, Mech. 0, Surv. 13

Talents (a=auto, r=recommended, !=important)

Rapid Recovery

Weapon Focus: Soldier (!)

Weapon Mastery: Soldier ®

Two-Handed Style (!)

Bonus Knock Down

Arms Bearer ®

Runner's Wounding Shot

Savage Attack

Abilities

Hunter's Instincts (a) (!)

Constant Recovery (a)

Disciplined Barrage (!)

Confident Aim (!)

Weapon Specialization: Soldier ®

Armored Grace ®

Knock Down (!)

Fearless ®

Charge (!)

Sundering Blow

---------------------------------------------------------------

Items (*=additional echantments by me; !=important, r=recommended):

Weapon set 1: Tidefall (!Wounding, *!Slaying: Beast, *Legendary)

Weapon set 2: The Hours of St. Rumbalt (Annihilation, Overbearing, *!Slaying: Kith, *Superb)

Weapon set 3: St. Ydwen's Redeemer (Soulbound, !Destroys Spirits)

Boots: Shod-in-Faith

Head: Tempered Helm

Armor: Blackwarden's Breast

Neck: Ycg Br Tomb Fragment OR Lost Periapt of the Winding Path

Belt: Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer

Rings: Bartender's Ring, the Ring of Wonder

Hands: Celebrant's Gloves OR Forgemaster's Gloves

Quick slots: potions

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What we have here is a fairly standard offensive 2H Fighter build. The trick to this guy? He's built and geared up to possess ALL of the hater talents and/or their closest equivalents in terms of gear enchantments; thus, this is a guy who's more than capable of taking on anything he comes across in his adventure. These 'hater talents' can be accumulated as follows;

Wilders and Primordials: This is why the Universal Misanthrope (or UM) has to be a Boreal Dwarf; Hunter's Instincts. That's +15 ACC to two monster types right off the bat, saving you a lot of investment on acquiring hater talents by any other means.

Beasts: The Blackwarden's Breast comes with Aura of the Hunt, which gives +15 ACC against Beasts. Add the Slaying: Beast enchantment on Tidefall, and even Dragons will quail at the sight of the UM.

Kith: For fighting against Kith enemies in particular, the UM has a specific sword reserved for such occasions; The Hours of St. Rumbalt, given the Slaying: Kith enchantment. I chose The Hours as the anti-Kith weapon due to its Overbearing enchantment; Kith are some of the best candidates to knock Prone, since they can be dangerous enough to warrant the status effect and are not likely to have the ridiculous Fortitude needed to withstand it.

Vessels: The obvious choice here is St Ydwen's Redeemer, due to the Destroys Spirits enchantment. The Bartender's Ring also lets the UM do extra damage to Vessels, even if the Redeemer doesn't proc with an attack. Unfortunately, I've yet to find anything that gives extra ACC against Vessels, but the Redeemer more than makes up for it.

Spirits: The Bartender's Ring lets the UM do extra damage to Spirits, and the Ycg Br Tomb Fragment gives extra ACC if you're lucky enough to get its Stronghold quest. Since most Spirits are vulnerable to fire damage, this is the time when you pull out the Firebrand from the Belt of the Royal Deadfire Cannoneer to burn them; the option to throw out a Torrent of Flame when surrounded by those pesky Spirits don't hurt either.

Some of the other gear that the UM packs doesn't contribute 'hater talents' per se, but helps the UM do his job even better;

Shod-in-Faith: Speaks for itself, really.

Tempered Helm: Boosts the UM's defenses against Hobbled, Stuck, Paralyzed, and - more importantly given his abysmal Will save - Confused, Charmed, and Dominated. Prior to acquiring the Tempered Helm, the UM is best served running with a Goldpact Knight who has Bond of Duty, who can neutralize the UM's weakness to mindwhammies temporarily.

Celebrant's Gloves: Thanks to his low RES, the UM also has abysmal Concentration; a problem that is easily solved with the Holy Meditation Spelldefense that Celebrant's Gloves offer. If the UM is packing the Lost Periapt, you can choose to give this up for extra Firebrand charges from Forgemaster's Gloves instead.

Lost Periapt of the Winding Path: If you're not lucky enough to get the Ycg Br Tomb Fragment (which honestly is not that big a deal), this is a reasonable alternative with a RES bonus, Concentration bonus, and an extra Consecrated Ground that the UM can cast if and when he finds the (rare) breather moment to do so.

The Ring of Wonder: Second Chance is always useful to get the UM back on his feet, and a chance to get to safety, whenever he gets knocked out.

The UM starts out quite squishy thanks to his low defensive stats, and will have to be handled carefully in the early part of the game. But when he's got all his levels and gear, when he's feature-complete and ready to go? Turns out the guy is a real boss-killer; I've seen him kick some ass pretty much by himself, with the rest of the party pretty much only there to buff him up, and keep the mobs off his back while he goes after the big one.

Dragons? Knocks the Sky Dragon down to a mere mook, makes the Adra Dragon his bitch, goes toe to toe with the Alpine Dragon and wins cleanly. No Paralyze or Petrify cheese necessary, it's all him. That's not even mentioning Gafonercos; poor thing never had a chance.

Kraken? Wait for buffs, Disciplined Barrage, Charge in, Knock Down and Prone that ugly mug, hack away a few more times, done.

Concelhaut? Equip the Redeemer, repeat the same strategy. Turning lich doesn't seem so smart when one proc of Destroys Vessels settles your hash, does it?

Llengrath? Buff yourself all you like, doesn't matter when the UM keeps sweeping you off your feet with the anti-Kith enchanted Hours. Turisulfus is the only Dragon I haven't seen the UM take out by himself... only because he was the last one standing of his group, being slowly harassed to death by a bunch of mere kith chipping at him with auto-attacks.

Woedica's Judges? Redeemer, repeat the same strategy twice. Both statues got shattered before Thaos could jump into them.

I've had a lot of fun with the UM. Now here it is; take him and have fun with him. :grin:

This is my second fav class after the Paladin, awesome job.  I just finished a similar Fighter Build with Eder, its damn effective.  Oddly Enough I did NOT take Armored Grace and ended up with more damage then my last Fighter who did have Armored Grace.  The only difference was I mastered Blessing for Durance instead of Armor of Faith as my Paladin took Zealous Endurance.  Was that extra 10% damage on almost every encounter worth 16k damage?  Thats how much the non Armored Grace Fighter beat him by.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

The best piece advice you gave me was to drop Unbroken, instead of Charge. That was insightful; not only did this retain the UM's ability to get where he needs to be in a hurry, I've had several occasions of comedy where I aimed the UM's Charge at the rear of a group of xaurips, and he straight up splattered several on his way to his destination. :brows:

Ah, now I remember. That was quite some time ago. :) Yes, Charge is not only powerful, but also a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This is my second fav class after the Paladin, awesome job.  I just finished a similar Fighter Build with Eder, its damn effective.  Oddly Enough I did NOT take Armored Grace and ended up with more damage then my last Fighter who did have Armored Grace.  The only difference was I mastered Blessing for Durance instead of Armor of Faith as my Paladin took Zealous Endurance.  Was that extra 10% damage on almost every encounter worth 16k damage?  Thats how much the non Armored Grace Fighter beat him by.

I don't quite know how that worked out, actually. Maybe the Blessing more than made up for the lack of Armored Grace? Not sure. Anyone here care to run the numbers?

If your hate everything and everyone, do you kill every npc/cat/dog/cow.... on sight too :biggrin: ?

After reflection, I do not know if we can go very far in the game by doing this....

Well, hating every NPC/cat/dog/cow makes you a Misanthrope. Going out of your way to kill the whole lot just makes you a ****. 8)