Combat too complex?

JFutral

Lower recovery rates for player actions would be nice too...

It's not fun when optimized build to be fast acting in general is slow in game reality.

I don't even know how to play slow builds - that would be so boring.

I may be wrong, cause I play solo, so managing a team can take place during these recovery phases, but gosh... it's so not interactive when you are playing solo.

Ah! That’s interesting. I was wondering how people find time to watch their characters wait through recovery, with all the craziness that is happening. In solo runs it makes so much more sense. It reminds me of NWN1. I got stuck in a fight with spider where we couldn’t hit each other, so I went to make some tea while my character was swinging at the enemy occasionally hitting him. They were still swinging when I came back.
It looks the same in first BG and both ID. BG 2 is different in that matter because game shows more attack's animations than the characters are doing, just to make combat more flashy and dynamic. PoE is as transparent as BG, ID 1&2 and NWN are - every swing animation is an attempt to hit the target. It can be boring to watch with long recovery (you know it, Barik, even too well) but it's acurate and important from gameplay perspective.

In Enhanced Edition all IE games have more swinging animation than actual attacks per round, but it can be turned off in game options.

Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 2

giphy.gif

Lower recovery rates for player actions would be nice too...

It's not fun when optimized build to be fast acting in general is slow in game reality.

I don't even know how to play slow builds - that would be so boring.

I may be wrong, cause I play solo, so managing a team can take place during these recovery phases, but gosh... it's so not interactive when you are playing solo.

Ah! That’s interesting. I was wondering how people find time to watch their characters wait through recovery, with all the craziness that is happening. In solo runs it makes so much more sense. It reminds me of NWN1. I got stuck in a fight with spider where we couldn’t hit each other, so I went to make some tea while my character was swinging at the enemy occasionally hitting him. They were still swinging when I came back.
It looks the same in first BG and both ID. BG 2 is different in that matter because game shows more attack's animations than the characters are doing, just to make combat more flashy and dynamic. PoE is as transparent as BG, ID 1&2 and NWN are - every swing animation is an attempt to hit the target. It can be boring to watch with long recovery (you know it, Barik, even too well) but it's acurate and important from gameplay perspective.

In Enhanced Edition all IE games have more swinging animation than actual attacks per round, but it can be turned off in game options.

So let’s make more fake swing and block animation in Deadfire to make combat more dynamic? ;)

• Like 1

So let’s make more fake swing and block animation in Deadfire to make combat more dynamic? ;)

Please, NO!

• Like 1

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

The only good things about IE combat worth preserving in a modern game:

- real time with pause.

- battlecries and spell chanting.

- screen shaking and opponents blast into pieces when crit-killed.

Like I mentioned somewhere - it wasn't pure real time with pause. You could cast one spell, drink one potion, use one item or make certain number of attacks during 6 sec period in combat, 6 sec of individual round, where every character proceed through their rounds simultaneously. Dragon Age series is truly real time - you give order to character to perform specific task and that character is doing it right away - without waiting for next 6 seconds window to start (IE, NWN 1&2) or recovery time to pass before next action (PoE). Maybe I'm too pedantic about real time, just like Tim Cain about Fallout not beeing isometric :D Edited by Silvaren
  • Like 1

giphy.gif

Slow mode is making an unofficial comeback within combat only. The devs have said that they play on slowing down combat speed as soon as it starts so that it plays like slow mode without having the toggle. (I think I remember Josh Sawyer saying that feedback for the first game was that three modes were too many toggles so they removed slow mode, and the contradicted by making a walk toggle.)

The "I can't do anything" is because of the recovery system, which was made even slower in Beta 3. It requires too much timing and anticipation from the player to react to enemies attacks because everyone is acting on different sized rounds (recovery + action time) and the characters looks unresponsive while doing their idle recovery animation.

(...)

The "I don't know why" is just confusion caused by the other two elements. Looking at the log to see why the character died is not that hard but you won't be able to do much against it and recovery has an icon, but clearly players have no idea what it means and does...

When I first played PoE 1 I played in "Expert" mode and there was no recovery bar or icon displayed during recovery time. I new my character looked unresponsive because I cared to read about game mechanics and attack speed in manual section of in-game journal.

Sorry for double post. The one above can be deleted.

Edited by Silvaren

giphy.gif

Iirc, "slow mode" has been removed and replaced with a "combat speed slider" but I don't feel like looking for the link. :lol:

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/170559585501/how-would-you-feel-about-having-a-customizable

will they be kindly to add it on original poe? i find that combat still quite fast even on slow mode. or is there a mod or ini files that i can customize?