2018 Winter Olympics

Guard Dog

So far Norway is leading the pack with 8 total medals with the Netherlands trailing at 5  and Canada at 3. I was watched 11 hours yesterday. Whenever this comes on, winter or summer, i get nothing done. 

• Like 10

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Shame Canada is winning so many medals.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

US knocked off Finland in Women's Hockey yesterday. There is something appealing about pretty women in hockey gear.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Used to love winter olympics. Don't like the way/style it's broadcasted anymore, typically. But I'll watch a bit now and then. NBCSH seems to have it on 24/7 with some segments supposedly live.

Speed skating, ski jumping are my faves with figure skating and luge being sometimes interesting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I was watching the luge before work this morning. I used to think they were just passengers at the mercy of Sir Isaac Newton. But there really is a lot of technique to that sport. A good time depends so much on tiny details.

Thomas Sowell

US knocked off Finland in Women's Hockey yesterday. There is something appealing about pretty women in hockey gear.

Is that event still a waste of time until the US-Canada final ?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So apparently whoever did the introductions for countries in the US introduced the Netherlands by saying we win a lot of ice skating because its a major mode of transportation here? Do people really think that? :lol:

America, tis a silly place.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

You don't? :lol:

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Hahaha!

Many US sports announcers are another reason I don't watch sports as much. Never shut up for a second and most of what they say is inane babble.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yeah, U.S. sports are pretty annoying with the endless awful announcers who will never, ever shut up. Dead air is not the plague, you guys - if you used your voice more sparingly, and more thoughtfully, some of us would probably like you better.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I used to love the Olympics, but the incessant need to promote the competitors instead of the competition (ie, instead of showing you an actual competition as it unfolds/unfolded, here are 40 minutes of various athlete's hard-luck stories about how they overcame adversity to be here with 5 minutes of ballyhoo/hype, 5 minutes of edited highlights of the competition and 10 minutes of commercials to round out the hour) has really strangled sports programming as a whole, IMO.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I used to love the Olympics, but the incessant need to promote the competitors instead of the competition (ie, instead of showing you an actual competition as it unfolds/unfolded, here are 40 minutes of various athlete's hard-luck stories about how they overcame adversity to be here with 5 minutes of ballyhoo/hype, 5 minutes of edited highlights of the competition and 10 minutes of commercials to round out the hour) has really strangled sports programming as a whole, IMO.

That is so annoying!

Another thing that annoys me is cutting away to something else just because the US athlete's are done. If I've been watching the whole competition let me see how it ends. The Biathlon didn't end when Lowell Bailey was no longer in contention. Cutting away was cheap.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, that's why I don't watch the prime-time network broadcasts anymore.

Just saw the end of the biathlon on NBCSN (not SH, the cable guide has a typo I guess...). They still have annoying announcers but at least they don't do that commercial-ly editing/cutaway stuff much since they're not trying to squeeze it all into prime-time slots.

At least I have a mute button.

Yeah, U.S. sports are pretty annoying with the endless awful announcers who will never, ever shut up. Dead air is not the plague, you guys - if you used your voice more sparingly, and more thoughtfully, some of us would probably like you better.

Canadian ones aren't much better, huge homers as well. Most egregiously so in the figure skating events.

Holy crap I can't believe it was Katie Couric who uttered that gem. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/winter-olympics-2018/2018/02/12/winter-olympics-dutch-mock-katie-couric-comments-speedskating-netherlands/328425002/

Granted I don't hold her in particularly high regard, but this was exceptionally stupid.

It seems like ever two years we get to say "NBC screwed up the Olympics again"

Thomas Sowell

The lack of tackles ruins women's hockey for me. I feel like the players have to be overly careful going in to 1vs1 situations and the whole game just ends up being seemingly low on energy.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Did curling happen yet?!

It's been going on the whole time. Mixed doubles is over I think.

Thomas Sowell