Ok, so, I'm not playing at the moment, 'cos I got no time, but I'm speculating about a ranged wood elf pally. I don't mean to shot with arquebus and then shift weapon, I just wanna be ranged. Still thinking whether to go implements or bows or something... like firearms...still undecided.

Goldpact seem to be the best, but I'm still thinking about it. Because Most abilities that affect FoD affect NEARBY allies, which if you are distant won't benefit at all. Anyone got ideas about this kind of MC? Let me know!

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I played one in my previous party.

The pros I noticed :

- Coordinated Attack + Marking Ranged weapons (Pliambo or Hazel) is incredibly convenient to instantly buff the Accuracy of any party member from range. This is probably the best benefit of a ranged paladin IMHO.

- FoD + Shielding Flames buff all party member, except yourself. Which is not too bad when you're ranged.

- Being ranged means you are often more free to run anywhere you want. Which is convenient to use Lay on Hands. I often get stuck in melee, unable to reach the character I wan to reach. Being ranged tends to reduce the occurence of this situation.

- Sworn ennemy gives you Cipher-level DPS against 1 target. It works better with ranged characters, it makes Paladin deadly sniper

Other considerations

- With high INT you don't have to be in the heart of melee to benefit from Sacred Immolation and similar buff. I would recommand high INT and high MIG for this kind of build. Being ranged does not mean being far from the frontline. You may as well use your range to hit ennemy's backrow while standing right behind the shoulders of your allies. Positionning is quite important for such a character. As you say, you need to be close from your allies to buff them (mitigated by high INT). So movement speed matters for optimal postionning. A pair of boots of speed is enough, but would have been useful for a ranged character anyway.

- The usual quickswitch + guns + FoD still work. You can have 2-3 guns and a bow / implement for the rest of battle.

- Dangerous implement is a fun way to benefit from your high Endurance / Health pools (NOT TESTED)

- Zealous Endurance worthes a try for a full hit-and-run party (but I never tried myself) (NOT TESTED)

My overall experience with this character was overall quite good. You can give it a try.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 2

You might check out the Counselor Ploi build on the builds list, if you haven't already.

I think you would find that it could meet your requirements.

It's an elf alright, but it's melee.. can it work ranged?

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I played one in my previous party.

The pros I noticed :

- Coordinated Attack + Marking Ranged weapons (Pliambo or Hazel) is incredibly convenient to instantly buff the Accuracy of any party member from range. This is probably the best benefit of a ranged paladin IMHO.

- FoD + Shielding Flames buff all party member, except yourself. Which is not too bad when you're ranged.

- Being ranged means you are often more free to run anywhere you want. Which is convenient to use Lay on Hands. I often get stuck in melee, unable to reach the character I wan to reach. Being ranged tends to reduce the occurence of this situation.

- Sworn ennemy gives you Cipher-level DPS against 1 target. It works better with ranged characters, it makes Paladin deadly sniper

Other considerations

- With high INT you don't have to be in the heart of melee to benefit from Sacred Immolation. I would recommand high INT and high MIG for this kind of build. 

- The usual quickswitch + guns + FoD still work. You can have 2-3 guns and a bow / implement for the rest of battle.

- Dangerous implement is a fun way to benefit from your high Endurance / Health pools 

- Zealous Endurance worthes a try for a full hit-and-run party (but I never tried myself)

My overall experience with this character was overall quite good. You can give it a try.

It is definitely good for all of these reasons.  So go for it.  Being free to use Lay on Hands wherever is really good.  Front line Paladins really shine in supporting melee classes like Monks, Barbs and Fighters with their abilities and obviously being a sturdy front liner which is what they do best.  They obviously support the entire group in other ways but like we said cause of ranged issues it can be tricky sometimes.  That being said a quick switch pally which I always play has no issues landing buffs on the backline cause I take Quick Switch and the Belt from the WM that reduces switch times.  They stack so everything is instant I fire the buff and go back into melee.  Disengagement is ignored by my Paladin cause things do not hit me hard.  Its also a GREAT trick for casting quick Lay on Hands or an Exhortation.  If you are in the middle of a recovery from an attack quick switch cast instantly and go back to your main weapon.  Ranged guys can use this too.

PS I do not know if it is a bug but AOE buffs like Sword and the Shepherd and Shielding Flames (not strange mercy) either do not benefit from INT AOE range or it is a very tiny base radius cause the radius of those buffs are not stated in the game. So ya those are better for a Paladin in the middle of the group anyway.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

You are all posting quick switch builds which are good but ot. I don't want to switch, I wanna stay with the same ranged weapon be it a bow or rifle...

Well, for my part I said Quickswitch THEN Bow/implement  :no:

Penetrating Shot + Marksman that will benefit your main weapon will also so help your gun quickswicthing. It's more a synergy than something going away from your requirements.

It's hard to ignore FoD anyway. So if you want to stick with a single gun, Pliambo per Casitas seems a good option.

Edited by Elric Galad

PS I do not know if it is a bug but AOE buffs like Sword and the Shepherd and Shielding Flames (not strange mercy) either do not benefit from INT AOE range or it is a very tiny base radius cause the radius of those buffs are not stated in the game. So ya those are better for a Paladin in the middle of the group anyway.

Shielding Flames worked ok for me, seemed buffed by INT if I remember well. Contrary to Inspiring Triumph, the AoE was not huge, but it was okay with my 18+ INT paladin.

• Like 1

I don't want to ignore FoD at all! I like it a lot in fact! But want to exploit its strength with a single weapon, not using an arquebus and switching...

I don't want to ignore FoD at all! I like it a lot in fact! But want to exploit its strength with a single weapon, not using an arquebus and switching...

Honnestly, this is how I eventually played my ranged pally.

Even with the quickswitch potential, I was often lazy and I sticked to Pliambo per Casitas most of the time.

High INT + FoD + Shielding Flames + Inspiring Triump + Sacred Immolation and various support spell was nice enough.

High int I guess, and you chose shieldbearer right? Is per important too? I like to be able to choose in dialogues.. which weapon to use before you get to pliambo?

Also.. the rifle is very slow.. did you give Dex?

Edited by Slack83er

INT for Support, MIG for damages.

PER is less important than MIG for damages and Pally does not have too many CC effects, so...

A bit of DEX does not hurt, it helps support and damages.

The good thing with ranged characters is that you can MIN/MAx more easily. I don't like to dump, so he was probably 8 CON and 6-8 RES. 

Both the two benefit from wf soldier... interesting...

I don't like dumping either.. a 12 in Dex should be enough... but per is a thing I really like..

Edited by Slack83er

Shielding Flames worked ok for me, seemed buffed by INT if I remember well. Contrary to Inspiring Triumph, the AoE was not huge, but it was okay with my 18+ INT paladin.

That is likely what is is then. Base AOE is likely small.

Have gun will travel.

You are all posting quick switch builds which are good but ot. I don't want to switch, I wanna stay with the same ranged weapon be it a bow or rifle...

I agreed with Elric and stared blabbering about how good quick switch on a Paladin is. My bad lol

Have gun will travel.

I agreed with Elric and stared blabbering about how good quick switch on a Paladin is. My bad lol

Don't worry, no problem. I'm just not to much into micro, so once the fight starts I like to concentrate on inflicting damage..:)

• Like 1

I don't like dumping either.. a 12 in Dex should be enough... but per is a thing I really like..

If you aren’t a dump stat guy (I’m the same as you) I like the 3 fives and a three rule. Fives in your major stats and 3 in the minor.

15 might

10 Con

13 Dex

15 Per

15 Int

10 Res

I think would be great for a ranged Paladin, the PER with sworn enemy it’s more then enough on the marked target.

Edited by Torm51
  • Like 1

Have gun will travel.

If you aren’t a dump stat guy (I’m the same as you) I like the 3 fives and a three rule. Fives in your major stats and 3 in the minor.

15 might

10 Con

13 Dex

15 Per

15 Int

10 Res

I think would be great for a ranged Paladin, the PER with sworn enemy it’s more then enough on the marked target.

Yeah well... I can tolerate an 8 in a stat but not less and not on many stats... so your set is ok, or you can bring res or con to 8 if you want...

• Like 1

15 might

10 Con

13 Dex

15 Per

15 Int

10 Res

Yeah well... I can tolerate an 8 in a stat but not less and not on many stats... so your set is ok, or you can bring res or con to 8 if you want...

Ya you can definitely play with that as you see fit. I just hate dumping resolve on a Paladin for LolRP reasons. Chicken **** Paladins are dumb lmao but that’s just me.

Have gun will travel.

Yeah maybe you're right.. res should stay at least 10... he he.. you like wood elf for the role?

Yeah maybe you're right.. res should stay at least 10... he he.. you like wood elf for the role?

Hell yes. I’m currently in a run with a Wood Elf Shieldbearer. When shooting (for your build always for mine quick switch) with 5 PER you will have the ACC of a char with 10 PER and with Sworn Enemy forget about it! +25 total per plus priest buffs.

PS

I tested this Zealous Focus’ ACC buff gets suppressed when you fire FoD. It acts as a Disciplined Barrage when you fire FoD when adding the inherent +20 ACC to the ability. So what gets added is your base ACC with PER and your weapon focus if you have any. For you that’s still +20 from FOD, + 5 from PER+5 From racial + 15 from Sworn Enemy and + 6 if you take a weapon focus play the +1 every class gets to every ability on level up!

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

High int I guess, and you chose shieldbearer right? Is per important too? I like to be able to choose in dialogues.. which weapon to use before you get to pliambo?

Basically, before getting Pliambo or Aedrin Wrecker (which is quite late too), I would simply pick the best Arbalest I can find.

Even without Aedrin's Wrecker's stun, high ACC from FoD + Prone on Crit from Arbalest is really nice.

Ok let's put it all together: wild elf, high mig and int, possibly high per, medium Dex, 10 res and 10/8 con. Shieldbearer or Gold pact, Armed with arbalest. Wf soldier, what about ranger cross class? What bg do we pick?

• Like 1

Ok let's put it all together: wild elf, high mig and int, possibly high per, medium Dex, 10 res and 10/8 con. Shieldbearer or Gold pact, Armed with arbalest. Wf soldier, what about ranger cross class? What bg do we pick?

Ya runners wounding shot is really good so i would take it for a purely ranged paladin.

Have gun will travel.