The casting times of scrolls are considerably faster than casting many spells

IndiraLightfoot

Question

I do this tongue in cheek, but I simply must put this down as being severely bugged:

Enchantments :

• It's written "Known Recipes", so, finding Enchantments Recipes seems to be a thing in Deadfire now. That's great, I always wanted to be able to find Unique Enchantments in the First Game.
  • Unfortunately, there's nothing at the moment in the Backer Beta except the regular "Quality Increase" for Weapons, Shields and Armors.
  • Vektor doesn't sells any, and the Racist Lady didn't want to open her store for me. B*tch...  :lol:

1518096645-wenchant.png1518096649-senchant.png1518096692-aenchant.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

High Level Spells :

• As for High Level Spells, there's some pretty cool Stuff. Look at the Damage on "Great Abjuration".  :wowey:

Level VIII :

1518096587-lvl8-1.png

1518096609-lvl8-2.png

1518096595-lvl8-3.png

Level IX :

1518096594-lvl9-1.png

1518096612-lvl9-2.png

1518096648-lvl9-3.png

1518096641-lvl9-4.png

:thumbsup:

Isn't it funny how the spells from scrolls are much faster casts than the actual spells they are derived from.  :facepalm:

Two alternatives here:

1) Either make scroll casting considerably slower, and of course slower than casting this kind of spells.

2) Or make the spell casting at least a bit faster than these scrolls.

I hope and pray that Obsidian will pick alternative 2. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

9 answers to this question

It’s a feature; at least casting from scrolls is still fun :p

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Always casting time complains. If casting times are shorter how will you interrupt/be interrupted by enemies? I still, find sometimes that those 6 second cast to be just enough to perform and interrupt unless I get very lucky with recovery timing. Consuming scrolls might be a a nice way of having more reliable casting tied to item consumption. I rarely use scrolls in RPGs...

Heh, nor do I. Consumables overall tend to lie in my invos unconsumed.

The reason why these long casting times don't work is that even with these slower beta patch 3 melee attacks, you are lucky if you get to throw two or three slow spells from one character during an encounter, and then you have to make sure that the spells penetrate too.

In most CRPGs I can think of, I never had any big concern about spells not having enough time and impact during combat. I just played my mage, priest or druid and had a jolly good time, and here, it feels like my casters have one armed tied behind their backs all the time. And these are somatic-dependent magic users, mind you! (This sentence is just me kidding, but the rest holds pretty much true for Deadfire right now.) :)

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Always casting time complains. If casting times are shorter how will you interrupt/be interrupted by enemies?

I'll answer with another question: If casting times are crap why would you want to cast a spell anyways?

Short casting times = casting is used because it's fun and viable, but interrupts are more difficult because they have to be timed well (good for the player who is smart, bad for AI).

Long casting times = casting gets omitted by most players because it's not worth it, interrupts are easy in theory, but because nobody is casting anyways there are practically no interrupts occuring (on enemies' side).

I leave it to your judgement what seems to be the better solution...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

True, actually  I even not cast devotion of the faithful, too long... THEN I should do it... I prefer shining beacon because 3s CT.

Buff are a bet, overtime. It is not instant like a fireball (even if fireball need a boost of Cast time or damages : p )

Benefits are overtime so 5 seconds is far too much. To me :

AoE nuke/instant damage : 5s (Why not stay with that IF damages are slightly increased...) Instant advantage, instant damage AoE.

AoE Strong Buff / Invocation : 4s (Yes 8s is totally a nonsense... Then Invocation must do damage overtime, to be useful...)

Nuke/instant damage one target : 3s

One target buff : 2s-0.5s (5s actually WTF...^^)

Cipher / Chanter case : 2s max. They pay an another ressource : Time. It is a constraint.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

Scroll should have same cast time as spells, they shall suffer the same long cast time!!! Just kidding :) But honestly, both should be consistent because scroll already let non-casters have access to spells, the current system makes them even better than original casters, which is non sense.

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 3

Maybe my difference in opinion lies in that I used to cast cast no more than 1 per battle in PoE (unless it was a major battle), which at average makes my spellcasters more useful per battle.

Did they buff spells with the last patch? I didn’t pay too much attention to spellcasting as I was focusing on other things, but AOE spells actually hit stuff. What I can agree on is that here could be more variety in casting length - I would like to see spells like fireball buffed, but weaker spells could benefit from being a quick cast.

Oh yeah, and while I don’t mind mages that much, ciphers bothered me a bit, maybe due to my main character in PoE being a cipher. It is really difficult to convince myself to cast cipher spell, or even time it will with casting times.

Edited by Wormerine

Scroll should have same cast time as spells, they shall suffer the same long cast time!!! Just kidding :) But honestly, both should be consistent because scroll already let non-casters have access to spells, the current system makes them even better than original casters, which is non sense.

Yeah, I forgot about this. You're making a very important point. It's like the final nail in the coffin for spell slingers.

• Like 2