34 members have voted

1. 1. Plural of eoten should be...

• Eoten
    • Eotens
    • BIRBS

Traditionally plural in English is created by adding an s. One warrior, two warriors. There are some exceptions however, such as sheep. I also feel eoten should be an exception. To me it sounds better to say one eoten, two eoten, rather than two eotens.

My opinion, of course, is objective truth. I'm merely giving y'all a rare opportunity to openly agree with such a fantastic being as yours truly.

Edited by omgFIREBALLS

For something being 'for free', 'straight after leaving port maje' there sure is a lot of specific investment and required stopovers.

Pants on. A basic level of decorum is expected of you. I will disregard your entire argument on this basis.

I could have sworn eoten was some lame semi-homophone of ettin like fampyr is of vampire. Anyway, it still sounds bad. The revolution begins here.

For something being 'for free', 'straight after leaving port maje' there sure is a lot of specific investment and required stopovers.

If you have nicknamed yours after a two-headed monster, I don't think you should be tossing the word "undiagnosed" around ;)

• Like 1

What? It's like Twin Elms basically. Surrounded by Elmshore. And there's Celestial Sapling as well... 

I just realize how salacious PoE was. Josh, you old lecher! ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/eotens#English

[smarty-pants on]

It's not a word made up by fantasy literature, so there's a rule already.

[pants off!]

Did some digging and it turns out that "ettin" is in: https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/ettin#English

Edited by Messier-31

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Eoten may be inspired by Scandinavian words for "Giant", like "jotun". In that case, it's one jotun, two jotnar. So, the plural form may very well be Eotnar.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/eoten#Old_English

It's old english and not made up. Since it's old english the plural eotens is correct (as shown in my first link). The suggested connection to jotun by IndiraLightfoot seems to make perfect sense though.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Honestly, does it really matter what the plural is?

The most important thing that I learned from that Bestiary twitter post is that Eotens throw the absolute best dungeon parties.  :p

0vdTVLF.gif

• Like 16

What's been seen can't be unseen. ;)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***