Pillars of Eternity II coming to consoles!

I haven't said they used Fig money on it (although it's possible and other devs do things like that, see inXile and how they used T:ToN's money on WL2, but I think Obsidian is way more trustworthy than scam artist Fargo), just that I would rather have them use their money on something else.

Also, you keep treating me like an idiot for saying that these games don't go well on consoles, but it's common knowledge. You know what happens when a game is successful? It makes the news, see every piece on IGN, Game Informer, PC Gamer (etc.) about how well D:OS and PoE sold on PC. Have you seen anything like that about the console versions? I'll answer for you: no.

About a year ago, maybe more Swen said to the Codex that D:OS sold about 1.5 million copies on all platforms, then just looking at Steamspy the game was at 1.1 million, just there, and it's not counting GOG. Which means that both ps4 and xone sold about 300k copies together, about 1/4 of the PC version alone. And it's the most successful KS rpg we're talking about, PoE was less successful and its console versions were released later on and probably sold even less.

It's a viable market? Probably so. It's worth to chase it? It depends, I guess, but compared to the PC market it's really small (and i provided some data to back my claims).

And you say "if everyone thinks like I do then it's always gonna be a small market", well hopefully so. Because if it becomes the bigger market you can dream of having an rpg made with PC in made, and instead will get controls and UI studied for a gamepad. No thanks.

And while I like your vision about having games on all platforms makes everyone happy and all, history tells us that it comes at a cost. Just look at BioWare and the constant decline in both quality and complexity, since they became more and more console-focused. 

Call me selfish, but I don't want a new BioWare, the old one is already enough for me. 

Their involvement on the console versions is minimal as is the money they are putting on to those versions. They aren't making the game, their publisher with the help of a brazilian 3rd party is making it. In this scenario Obsidian doesn't have to spend a dime on the game. Sure, they might have to answer questions from the brazilian developers. Why you bring up Inxile is beyond me. They had their internal teams working on the console ports, totally different situation.

You like to hang onto those sales numbers. It doesn't matter if the game sells 20k copies or 300k copies, Obsidian's risk is non-existant financially. Sure if the game sells 500k copies, they will get more money while doing pretty much nothing to get the game ported on consoles.

Every game doesn't have to be highly succesful to warrant a port to consoles, it's enough that it makes a profit and fans enjoy it. So, I really don't know why you bring in success into the conversation.

BioWare is owned by a publicly traded company, that has a board of directors and investors. Obsidian is an independent company. Can't really compare the two. One of the companies can actually decide where they want to focus on a project like Deadfire and the other will have to make the game to as broad audience as possible.

• Like 4

Hate the living, love the dead.

How anyone that's played the beta can say that they are dumbing the game down for consoles is beyond me. Nothing about the game makes me think "this would be great on console!"

Yeah. If I hadn't heard first hand that PoE1 was good on consoles, I wouldn't have believed it. Literally every design decision seems like it would make it horrible to experience on a TV a couple of meters away.

• Like 1

While I plan on playing the PC version, I could see myself double dipping for the Switch version (in fact I would double dip for a Switch version of PoE1, which would make me more inclined to double dip for PoE2...).

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

@Flouride, man, I know how things work. But saying one thing and doing another is lying. Plain and simple.

If you knew how things work you wouldn't mistake "pay a publisher to deal with your game's distribution/marketing" for "have a publisher fund your game".

• Like 2

This is a ****ing betrayal of your player base, Obsidian.

Next time you go to crowdfunding make sure to say it before that you're making a ****ing console game, instead of a more hardcore RPG made for PC. Also, you can do without my money in advance. 

As a hardcore PC fanatic, I'd just like to say: get a grip.  There absolutely no evidence that PoE2 has been dumbed down for consoles.

• Like 3

Next time you go to crowdfunding make sure to say it before that you're making a ****ing console game, instead of a more hardcore RPG made for PC. Also, you can do without my money in advance. 

As a hardcore PC fanatic, I'd just like to say: get a grip.  There absolutely no evidence that PoE2 has been dumbed down for consoles.

uggh, please don't do the thing that people on resetera do where you just quote a singple post from the first page to make a point.  He calmed down if you look at the other post on this thread.

Nevertheless, I agree your message.

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 1

uggh, please don't do the thing that people on resetera do where you just quote a singple post from the first page to make a point.  He calmed down if you look at the other post on this thread.

Nevertheless, I agree your message.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to read 5 pages about an issue I consider to be bull****, but thanks for the info i guess

• 1 month later...

I know I am way late to the party on this discussion of PC-Console Port, however from my understanding of timelines, wasn't POE2 in development long before the console version of POE was even released? By several years in fact. I may be mistaken, but given that evidence alone, how could the Devs know how well or poorly the console version would sell if at all, thus decide to dumb down the controls and systems for POE2 so far in advance? Seems highly unlikely.

It more seems to me, and from my opinion only, from reading all of the information Obsidian provides during their development cycles via backer updates and responses, that all of the changes were play balanced and system changing based on the PC version from the first game and not in some direct response regarding consoles. One may not like the changes to POE2 for various reasons, but it seems more than a bit unfair, given all the evidence, to blame those changes on porting the game after the fact to consoles. 

The first one had poor sales on consoles but I'm hoping this one will do better. You'd think it will given that it has a more popular theme and seems to be much better marketed but we will see :)

Here's to positivity!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The first one had poor sales on consoles but I'm hoping this one will do better. You'd think it will given that it has a more popular theme and seems to be much better marketed but we will see :)

Here's to positivity!

I am of the same opinion that I hope it does well. These types of games have been few and far in between even on PC up to a few years ago, let alone the dearth on console, so I hope for many positive results to foster more of these being made. 

• Like 1

The reason I do not have fancy badges under my name is because I played Pillars on the PS4.  I think its a wonderful idea to let as many people as possible have access to a game to build a base of fans. I will probably play Deadfire on the PC for the modding potential and the earlier release date. So putting Pillars on console has created one more PC master race individual. :grin:

• Like 5

consoles and PC are no different.. the abomination would be the controller and big TV. that's the big issue with developers gimping the core gameplay that is tailored for desktop experience vs. controller and big screen TV. maybe i would put it as the "platform" issue. if deadfire is going to be available for switch, perhaps the reduction of 1 party character kind of help there. and maybe 4 party characters will be better.

I recall pc gamers on various forums touting that Divinity Original Sin would be a mistake on console and yet it foes indeed play far better on an Xbox 360 controller thanks to a U.I redesign that actually makes more sense. It's all on the efforts of the dev and of course, if people can handle the idea of playing a game on controller.

I think Deadfire's redesign for console will make the game worth playing with a controller but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I've played POE on PS4, it had a modified interface which was not half-bad. Still, it was not as comfortable to play with a gamepad as with a keyboard&mouse - elaborate micromanaging was a pain. Same problem was with Divinity: Original Sin - just goes to show that some games, specifically designed for PC, are not very good port candidates.

Though the only thing in console version that was dumbed down was enemies AI, I think. Iirc, devs said somewhere they made enemies more aggressive there (less prone to use abilities?). Also, there were no hardcore trophies like Triple Crown Solo (and thank god for that, it would have been a gigantic pain to platinum otherwise).

I think to make POE2 more successful on consoles those devs who will port it will need to work much harder on remaking the interface. I'm talking "Diablo 3" harder - the only real-time RPG PC game I can recall that was ported really well.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see the PC updates and road map for POE 2 show DLC through October, and so far many updates to the game being pushed out, so I am thinking any console version would incorporate all these so it seems like Holiday 2018 may be wishful thinking on the console version coming out. My original order on Amazon for both Xbox and PS4 copies shows not available now and sign up for email updates.  

Really hoping this makes its console release eventually, as I am totally enjoying POE 1 on Console and really want to play this on Console.

(Edited to update that the game is still available to pre-order at other places like Best Buy and Gamestop, so maybe Amazon is the issue as many other games are not available for pre-order either on Amazon. Seems they may have angers some publishers with their pre-order discounts or something, so hopefully POE 2 is still slated for a Holiday 2018 release on consoles).

Edited by Tbone3336