Pillars of Eternity II PREVIEW BLITZ

I wonder if outlets got to play backer beta or something more up to date. For most part it looks what we have, but some of the screenshot show new areas, other ship types, full skill trees etc.

My guess is that Obsidian thenselves could have provided the footage too. But it's possible.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I wonder if outlets got to play backer beta or something more up to date. For most part it looks what we have, but some of the screenshot show new areas, other ship types, full skill trees etc.

My guess is that Obsidian thenselves could have provided the footage too. But it's possible.

Some of them have written they have been playing it for the last week. That’s what I am wondering - did they have access to larger build, or just B.B. and screenshot were provided by OBs. Trying to estimate legitimacy of them gushing over the game, compared to my experience:-).

The GameInformer interview with Josh is by far the most illuminating of these.  Thorough, with some (AFAIK) new information in a few areas.

On Luminous Adra:

One of the things that can up early on is we talked about “what is the reason for people to come here?” The Deadfire was a known place a long time ago, within the past few hundred years within the Pillars universe, so it asked the question why aren’t people already climbing all over this place? I’m looking at colonialism, for example, the exploitation of rubber in the real world. Until rubber became vulcanized and there were lots of industrial applications for rubber, there wasn’t a huge drive to get that substance. Why would there be? In Deadfire, there is a substance called luminous adra. Adra is a material unique to Pillars of Eternity, it’s what the Pillars of Eternity are made of. They are the substance that grows naturally out of the world that seems to conduct soul energy. In the Deadfire, there is a unique type of adra called luminous adra that is so filled with soul energy, it literally glows. For a long time, people were like “that’s kind of crazy. I don’t know what we can do with this, but that’s kind of neat.”

The breakthrough in the Pillars world was that an animancer, people who study soul energy and the science of souls, discovered several very useful properties of luminous adra, including an elixir that temporarily restores vitality and feelings of youth, and a youthful appearance. That immediately became extremely popular among wealthy people in the Eastern Reach, which is actually to the west of the Deadfire Archipelago, the place where Pillars of Eternity took place. Once this became a precious commodity that could be refined and used for a variety of valuable purposes, those colonial powers decided to rush in and make all these crazy ways to use it. It’s physically prominent in the environment, luminous adra does grow throughout the Archiepelago. It’s also notable for a number of physical features that are very imposing. Magran’s Teeth, which is a chain of volcanoes named for the goddess Magran that is very dangerous. There’s also an enormous, supernatural storm called Ondra’s Mortar, that is a barrier to any farther exploration eastward. To all sailors, it represents the eastern edge of the known world. It presents a real-world problem, but it is very obvious by looking at it that it is not natural, so there is some supernatural cause to that, in addition to the various beasts and creatures that lurk in the sea.

On Tekehu:

So Tekehu is a native of the Deadfire Archipelago, one of the godlike, or people who are born with features that resemble or are associated with a certain god. Pallegina is also a god-like and is associated with Hylea, the goddess of birds. Tekehu is a marine god-like, associated with Ondra, the goddess of the sea. Because the Huana culture is also very nautically oriented and they live in the Deadfire, he’s sort of doubly revered. He was born into a caste of artisans, and from a very early age, people decided that his art would be water-shaping. Water-shaping is something that is unique to the Deadfire Archipelago. It is actually seemingly unique to the city of Neketaka. Tekehu is able to manipulate water in this beautiful, artistic, sometimes deadly way and he is a member of the Water Shapers Guild, and although he is not really a senior member or guild master, he’s got a chip on his shoulder. Because everyone has told him he is so gifted, he believes it. He is really talented, but it goes to his head. He’s very dismissive of people telling him how he should be using his arts, how he should use them to help people. He believes that is his gift to decide what to do with it. He’s very headstrong and amorous. He has a lot of romantic inclinations and as you walk around the city of Neketaka, you run into people who have come across him in various ways. He is well known throughout the city. He is a very colorful and passionate character but is very headstrong and full of himself. He is also very inexperienced in dealing with the outside world. That is his conflict with reality.

From a mechanical standpoint, Tekeku can either be a druid or a chanter or a combination of the two. Regardless of what class you pick for him, he has the ability to turn into a wereshark. This is an ability that is unique to him. It’s a very potent combat form. He can still cast spells in that form, but he is a very powerful melee combatant in that form as well.

I will admit, back when I was in college, I played a ton of D&D and we had to fight weresharks and I was blown away. The dungeon master showed me the stat block, back in the second edition D&D, and when I started working at Black Isle, I was like “someday, I’m going to put one of these f---ing things in a game”. Actually, when we first played, we had a tabletop session, I got a YouTube stream tabletop session and I put weresharks in it and threatened they were going to come to Pillars of Eternity, and now I finally got my chance.

(I was half right.)

Also, the Lava Dragon art at the end is pretty sweet.

• Like 7

On Tekehu:

So Tekehu is a native of the Deadfire Archipelago, one of the godlike, or people who are born with features that resemble or are associated with a certain god. Pallegina is also a god-like and is associated with Hylea, the goddess of birds. Tekehu is a marine god-like, associated with Ondra, the goddess of the sea. Because the Huana culture is also very nautically oriented and they live in the Deadfire, he’s sort of doubly revered. He was born into a caste of artisans, and from a very early age, people decided that his art would be water-shaping. Water-shaping is something that is unique to the Deadfire Archipelago. It is actually seemingly unique to the city of Neketaka. Tekehu is able to manipulate water in this beautiful, artistic, sometimes deadly way and he is a member of the Water Shapers Guild, and although he is not really a senior member or guild master, he’s got a chip on his shoulder. Because everyone has told him he is so gifted, he believes it. He is really talented, but it goes to his head. He’s very dismissive of people telling him how he should be using his arts, how he should use them to help people. He believes that is his gift to decide what to do with it. He’s very headstrong and amorous. He has a lot of romantic inclinations and as you walk around the city of Neketaka, you run into people who have come across him in various ways. He is well known throughout the city. He is a very colorful and passionate character but is very headstrong and full of himself. He is also very inexperienced in dealing with the outside world. That is his conflict with reality.

From a mechanical standpoint, Tekeku can either be a druid or a chanter or a combination of the two. Regardless of what class you pick for him, he has the ability to turn into a wereshark. This is an ability that is unique to him. It’s a very potent combat form. He can still cast spells in that form, but he is a very powerful melee combatant in that form as well.

I will admit, back when I was in college, I played a ton of D&D and we had to fight weresharks and I was blown away. The dungeon master showed me the stat block, back in the second edition D&D, and when I started working at Black Isle, I was like “someday, I’m going to put one of these f---ing things in a game”. Actually, when we first played, we had a tabletop session, I got a YouTube stream tabletop session and I put weresharks in it and threatened they were going to come to Pillars of Eternity, and now I finally got my chance.

(I was half right.)

Also, the Lava Dragon art at the end is pretty sweet.

Everything about Tekehu is soooo precious. He's sooooooooo precious! Can't wait to meet him with my ranger-stranger. :3

• Like 1

I am confused. It is B.B. I hope B.B. is not the “near final build”. Did gameinformer get access to a different build? Did they all get access to a different build but are allowed to showcase BB only? Is near final build including cut skill trees, old UI, and half implimented features? Have journalistic previews lied to me this whole time???? (just kidding I know they do that).

Edited by Wormerine

I am confused. It is B.B. I hope B.B. is not the “near final build”. Did gameinformer get access to a different build? Did they all get access to a different build but are allowed to showcase BB only? Is near final build including cut skill trees, old UI, and half implimented features? Have journalistic previews lied to me this whole time???? (just kidding I know they do that).

It can also be that gameinformer thought what they had was a "near final build", even though it wasn't. It could just be a simple missunderstanding.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Dude. Wow. The temptation to watch that is incredible.

But I must be strong. April will be here soon.

It's just the beta.
  • Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-romanze-mit-haifisch-der-exklusive-begleiter-tekehu-enthuellt,3325728.html

With some Google Translate Fu:

Even if we do not choose the druid, Tekehu is a shapeshifter anyway, and he has nothing to do with boring bears or wolves! Instead, he gives enemies as a shark hybrid on the nose. On top of that he has his own repertoire of water, steam and ice magic in his luggage. They are characterized by the fact that unlike ordinary elemental spells they leave the allies in the target area completely intact - Tekehu can thus conjure up a lot more ruthlessly!

All these tricks he gets regardless of his chosen class. But as a cantor, he stands out even further, through his unique subclass: As a storm spokesman, he masters special weather skills. Sawyer stresses, "We want to make sure each companion has either unique items, subclasses or special abilities."

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/pillars-of-eternity-2-deadfire-romanze-mit-haifisch-der-exklusive-begleiter-tekehu-enthuellt,3325728.html

With some Google Translate Fu:

Even if we do not choose the druid, Tekehu is a shapeshifter anyway, and he has nothing to do with boring bears or wolves! Instead, he gives enemies as a shark hybrid on the nose. On top of that he has his own repertoire of water, steam and ice magic in his luggage. They are characterized by the fact that unlike ordinary elemental spells they leave the allies in the target area completely intact - Tekehu can thus conjure up a lot more ruthlessly!

All these tricks he gets regardless of his chosen class. But as a cantor, he stands out even further, through his unique subclass: As a storm spokesman, he masters special weather skills. Sawyer stresses, "We want to make sure each companion has either unique items, subclasses or special abilities."

So is the trade-off against adventurer's hall hirelings that the pre-made companions have less optimal stats?  Or is it just out and out better to take them?  (I generally prefer the premade characters anyway, but the adventurer's hall was fun too for some playthroughs).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I do believe that yes, for the most part the allure of custom companions is better stat distribution from a gameplay perspective (EDIT: and the ability to choose any class, subclass, or combination thereof.) Obsidian mentioned several times that story companions have stats that are meant to reflect their traits.

I think it’s cool that they come with special, unique items, spells, and abilities. Adds to the flavor and makes them competetitve with hirelings.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well "near final" is relative. It's certainly near final relative to what they had in like August last year. I guess two months out of a multi-year process is near final by any estimation.