Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Update 2 Patch Notes

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Marked prey now gives 10 accurate bonus to ranger and pets, Sworn enemy now gives 20% damage bonus to paladin. Both has its unique bonus and they stacks each other now.

Doppelschwert

Doppelschwert

Sword Enthusiast of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1032 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Has something changed in the AI department?

In particular, does the UI now properly scale with screen resolution?

The AI customization screen still doesn't scale with resolutions, which makes it unusable for lower resolutions.

Also, what does the spell resistance on the Mage Slayer actually mean now? If it doesn't scale, 5% resistance is pretty pathetic as bonus.

Edited by Doppelschwert, 03 February 2018 - 04:27 AM.

Salinger

Salinger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 21 posts

Armor Recovery Penalty changed across all three armor types

• Heavy Armor changed  from 67% to -38%
  • Medium Armor changed  from -82% to -45%
  • Light Armor changed from -50% to -30%
Something wrong here?
  • IndiraLightfoot likes this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In the new detailed report of changes in this beta patch, it says: "Carnage's damage attribute is now Strength."

What was it before?

And can someone explain this?

"Armor Recovery Penalty changed across all three armor types

• Light Armor changed from -50% to -30%"

IIRC, these aren't even the correct old recovery penalty percentages?

@Salinger: I was equally perplexed by this. See my post from another thread above.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 03 February 2018 - 07:20 AM.

• Salinger likes this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

-25 % armored grace malus of recovery =

16 % of action speed. (+35 % recovery)

13 % of action speed (+20 % recovery)

Anyone understand the formula ?

It seems to be more 50 % of [35 %]

So the description is not clear. It is more 50 % of actual value of armor ?

Edited by theBalthazar, 03 February 2018 - 07:20 AM.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the cursor change in the inventory screen when you pick up an item. It is beyond annoying and runs counter how mouse-driven cursors work in any other RPG or even OS. Why was it done?

Edited by AndreaColombo, 03 February 2018 - 10:24 AM.

• Tanred, dunehunter, IndiraLightfoot and 7 others like this

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5576 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm surprised nobody's brought up the cursor change in the inventory screen when you pick up an item. It is beyond annoying and runs counter how mouse-driven cursors work in any other RPG or even OS. Why was it done?

This is so true! I was on the verge of reporting it as a bug immediately, but restrained myself. I now regret it. Please remove this feature, and that arrow hovering in the upper left bug me so much.

• AndreaColombo, dukeisaac and Laisyndre like this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Maybe they thought it was confusing when you want to move an item from one character's inventory to another---the item replaced the cursor, and you had to click on the second character's icon with the item to switch to their inventory.

A much better solution would be to keep the cursor in its usual position and have the item hover at a slight distance from the cursor.

The current version is just disorienting.

• AndreaColombo and L4wlight like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

^ Agreed. Switching inventories was indeed a little confusing, but the current solution is frustrating.

The item icon is still where your cursor would be, so the most natural thing for you to do is point with the item icon and click—except it doesn't work. You have to point with the silly arrow that isn't where your cursor would be. Very counter-intuitive.

• dunehunter and L4wlight like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Armor Recovery Penalty changed across all three armor types

• Light Armor changed from -50% to -30%
Something wrong here?

Definitely, but Aarik also added the following under the spoiler:
Spoiler

So what they meant is that Armored Grace value was nerfed from 0.20 to 0.10.
Or to be more exact, it goes like this:

Base values:
- Heavy Armor : x0.645 Recovery Speed (same as +55% Recovery Time)
- Medium Armor: x0.740 Recovery Speed (same as +35% Recovery Time)
- Light Armor : x0.833 Recovery Speed (same as +20% Recovery Time)

Beta 2: Armored Grace was adding +0.2 Recovery Speed back:
- Heavy Armor  (with AG): x0.845 Recovery Speed (or +18% Recovery Time) ((55-18) / 55 = 0.67 -> AG removed 67% of Armor Recovery Penalty)
- Medium Armor (with AG): x0.940 Recovery Speed (or  +6% Recovery Time) ((35- 6) / 35 = 0.82 -> AG removed 82% of Armor Recovery Penalty)
- Light Armor  (with AG): x1.000 Recovery Speed (or   0% Recovery Time) ((20- 0) / 20 = 1.00 -> AG removed 100% of Armor Recovery Penalty)

Beta 3: Armored Grace is adding +0.1 Recovery Speed back:
- Heavy Armor  (with AG): x0.745 Recovery Speed (or +34% Recovery Time) ((55-34) / 55 = 0.38 -> AG removed 38% of Armor Recovery Penalty)
- Medium Armor (with AG): x0.840 Recovery Speed (or +19% Recovery Time) ((35-19) / 35~= 0.45 -> AG removed 45% of Armor Recovery Penalty)
- Light Armor  (with AG): x0.933 Recovery Speed (or  +7% Recovery Time)
((20- 7) / 20 = 0.65 -> AG removed 65% of Armor Recovery Penalty)

Edited by MaxQuest, 04 February 2018 - 02:02 AM.

• AndreaColombo and Wormerine like this

PhesojSS

PhesojSS

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The first beta experience was so bad, I will not suffer through any more of these. I am so disgusted by the design changes for spells from POE 1,  that this game has very little interest for me going forward.  Such a shame, another Dragon Age 2 type of let down, should have waited to see this mess before backing it. Will not back any more Obsidian releases after this.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

So Armored Grace is now terrible. Because everybody loves a slow drag, right?

I don't understand. PoE had fast, normal, and slow modes. Deadfire kept fast mode unchanged, which means it's unusable in combat unless you want to play Benny Hill Show; then changed normal to slow so that people who enjoyed normal mode in PoE can't have what they want. What's the purpose? Why must everyone play the slug fest? Is sitting through lengthy recovery times everyone's idea of fun? I can't be the only one who feels like their character is weak if they spend half the time doing nothing in combat.

• Answermancer, draego and clouseau64 like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2350 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
^ It's interesting how Armored Grace still doesn't reflect what it does exactly in it's updated tooltip:

Spoiler

Edited by MaxQuest, 04 February 2018 - 02:39 AM.

• AndreaColombo and clouseau64 like this

theBalthazar

theBalthazar

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1170 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For a light armor with classic +20 % recovery Time.

20 (base) -7 (note with armored grace)  = gap of 13 % of attack speed bonus.

-------------

For a medium armor with classic +35 % recovery Time.

35 (base) -19 (note with armored grace)  = gap of 16 % of attack speed bonus.

-------------

For a heavy armor with classic +55 % recovery Time.

55 (base) -34 (note with armored grace)  = gap of 21 % of attack speed bonus.

------------

So....^^

In others terms,

A variable bonus according to armor ratio. More heavy is armor, more the bonus is effective ?

So for me, it is more 40 % of armor recovery is suppressed. (55 * 0.4 = 22) (120 % or 25 % is irrelevant ?)

Edited by theBalthazar, 04 February 2018 - 04:05 AM.

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Answermancer
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't understand. PoE had fast, normal, and slow modes. Deadfire kept fast mode unchanged, which means it's unusable in combat unless you want to play Benny Hill Show; then changed normal to slow so that people who enjoyed normal mode in PoE can't have what they want. What's the purpose? Why must everyone play the slug fest? Is sitting through lengthy recovery times everyone's idea of fun? I can't be the only one who feels like their character is weak if they spend half the time doing nothing in combat.

Agreed, I think they should rethink the whole recovery revamp they're doing in the sequel. The old system with Slow mode was just better, even if they tune the balance here it will still feel more limited and less user friendly than the first game.

I don't get it. The "no slow mode" thing feels like some kind of short-sighted upper management note or something "people felt the game was too fast and like they had to play on Slow, so to avoid confusing new players just slow everything down and get rid of slow mode."

• AndreaColombo and draego like this

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Agreed, I think they should rethink the whole recovery revamp they're doing in the sequel. The old system with Slow mode was just better, even if they tune the balance here it will still feel more limited and less user friendly than the first game.

I don't get it. The "no slow mode" thing feels like some kind of short-sighted upper management note or something "people felt the game was too fast and like they had to play on Slow, so to avoid confusing new players just slow everything down and get rid of slow mode."

In the old game I almost need to use slow mode in every combat, and you think that is the right way to go hmmmm. For me, I like the trend of slower combat, but they make it overworked right now imo. Recovery time in last beta is okay for weapons, current beta is too slow.

But I do think combat in PoE 1 is way too fast, and don’t hope them to change it back. And I don’t get why getting rid of slow mode is to avoid confusing new players. If I’m a new player who is new to team tactical games, I’d be confused if the game is too fast, not slow.

Edited by dunehunter, 05 February 2018 - 06:01 PM.

Answermancer

Answermancer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 284 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Answermancer
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

In the old game I almost need to use slow mode in every combat, and you think that is the right way to go hmmmm. For me, I like the trend of slower combat, but they make it overworked right now imo. Recovery time in last beta is okay for weapons, current beta is too slow.

But I do think combat in PoE 1 is way too fast, and don’t hope them to change it back.

No, don't get me wrong, I also play Pillars 1 in Slow mode pretty much 100% of the time. But that's my choice, I have that choice and others have the choice to play at 2 other speeds, I think that choice is important.

Also, I think that the Normal speed in Pillars 1 feels more "realistic" in that people aren't standing around for many seconds doing nothing, so applying Slow mode on top of that feels good, IMO. I'm choosing to slow down "realistic" time into a more manageable "slow motion" form, I think that's basically better than the Pillars 2 approach in every way, where people still attack at "realistic" speeds, but then stand around doing nothing for multiple seconds afterwards.

Edited by Answermancer, 05 February 2018 - 06:03 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14865 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In PoE I always play in Fast Mode while running around and in Normal Mode when in combat. So, Deadfire feels extra sluggish for me now. Also because attack speed bonuses don't have the same impact as before.

Edited by Boeroer, 05 February 2018 - 11:51 PM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Night Stalker

Night Stalker

Cynic of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Nm - was about a future enhancement, not the current state.

Edited by Night Stalker, 05 February 2018 - 11:23 PM.

davidwill

davidwill

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Is it still possible to enter the beta test?

if yes how

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users