Backer Beta Update 2 Patch Notes

Aarik D

I don't understand. PoE had fast, normal, and slow modes. Deadfire kept fast mode unchanged, which means it's unusable in combat unless you want to play Benny Hill Show; then changed normal to slow so that people who enjoyed normal mode in PoE can't have what they want. What's the purpose? Why must everyone play the slug fest? Is sitting through lengthy recovery times everyone's idea of fun? I can't be the only one who feels like their character is weak if they spend half the time doing nothing in combat.

Agreed, I think they should rethink the whole recovery revamp they're doing in the sequel. The old system with Slow mode was just better, even if they tune the balance here it will still feel more limited and less user friendly than the first game.

I don't get it. The "no slow mode" thing feels like some kind of short-sighted upper management note or something "people felt the game was too fast and like they had to play on Slow, so to avoid confusing new players just slow everything down and get rid of slow mode."

In the old game I almost need to use slow mode in every combat, and you think that is the right way to go hmmmm. For me, I like the trend of slower combat, but they make it overworked right now imo. Recovery time in last beta is okay for weapons, current beta is too slow.

But I do think combat in PoE 1 is way too fast, and don’t hope them to change it back. And I don’t get why getting rid of slow mode is to avoid confusing new players. If I’m a new player who is new to team tactical games, I’d be confused if the game is too fast, not slow.

Edited by dunehunter

Agreed, I think they should rethink the whole recovery revamp they're doing in the sequel. The old system with Slow mode was just better, even if they tune the balance here it will still feel more limited and less user friendly than the first game.

I don't get it. The "no slow mode" thing feels like some kind of short-sighted upper management note or something "people felt the game was too fast and like they had to play on Slow, so to avoid confusing new players just slow everything down and get rid of slow mode."

In the old game I almost need to use slow mode in every combat, and you think that is the right way to go hmmmm. For me, I like the trend of slower combat, but they make it overworked right now imo. Recovery time in last beta is okay for weapons, current beta is too slow.

But I do think combat in PoE 1 is way too fast, and don’t hope them to change it back.

No, don't get me wrong, I also play Pillars 1 in Slow mode pretty much 100% of the time. But that's my choice, I have that choice and others have the choice to play at 2 other speeds, I think that choice is important.

Also, I think that the Normal speed in Pillars 1 feels more "realistic" in that people aren't standing around for many seconds doing nothing, so applying Slow mode on top of that feels good, IMO. I'm choosing to slow down "realistic" time into a more manageable "slow motion" form, I think that's basically better than the Pillars 2 approach in every way, where people still attack at "realistic" speeds, but then stand around doing nothing for multiple seconds afterwards.

Edited by Answermancer

In PoE I always play in Fast Mode while running around and in Normal Mode when in combat. So, Deadfire feels extra sluggish for me now. Also because attack speed bonuses don't have the same impact as before.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Is it still possible to enter the beta test?

if yes how

I am assuming by lack of backer badge that you didnt back the game before release announcement and preorders. Backer Beta was part of crowdfunding campaign and available by backing only. Still, don’t worry. It really is a test play ground, just 2 or 3 hours of content to test core mechanics. Not much fun to be head yet. Soon we will get full game anyway :).

Is it still possible to enter the beta test?

if yes how

I guess if you really wanted to get in you could pay a backer to get it for you (20 USD I think) but as was previously said, you aren't really missing anything.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, the beta is still an endless black screen for me when I launch the game. Running on a Mac, not sure what to do :/

Oh no :/ Can you elaborate a bit on your steps to load? Does it attempt the game on steam and just black screen, or are you able to get into a New Game?

I can get to the title screen, but when I launch a new game it never gets to the character creation, there's just a black screen unfortunatel

Alright thank you for the info, that helps! Can you first try giving it a good amount of time on the black screen? There we some bugs with the loading screen on first load.

I let it try to load overnight but still nothing, just a loading black screen. It's okay though! Will just be more anticipation/excitement when I can play in April! :)

Darn I was hoping was this would do it, I am sorry! If youd like to continue troubleshooting it with me please send me a direct message with your specs and I will see if we can get the ball rolling for you!

Hi CDiaz,

I am having the same problem. I have just bought the backer beta upgrade and installed it. When I run it through Steam I can also get to the title screen and select a difficulty. Once that is done the screen goes black and the application becomes unresponsive. I have left it for 15 minutes without any change.

Here are my specs:

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP703?locale=en_AU&viewlocale=en_US

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP111.0145.B00