Backer Beta Update 2 Patch Notes

Aarik D

"(FIXED) Corpse Eater cannot be used on Call to Slumber Kith targets."

Yeah this is interesting :) One wizard + 4 corpse eater hohoho!

Hmm, they changed the status effect of Call to Slumber from Unconscious to Asleep, and rewrote Corpse Eater to replace Unconscious enemies with "deceased" enemy "corpse"... so it probably just means they clarified the wording. Haven't tested it yet though....

Edited by SaruNi

Haha - those smartypants. ;)

I don't get the new patch on Steam (WIN 10) yet. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: nevermind, suddenly it started downloading...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Subbing thread.

Are summoned weapon fast cast?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Concelhaut's Staff, Minor Blights, Spirit Lance, Spiritual Weapon, Firebrand:

Cast time: 5.0 sec

Recovery: 0.0 sec

The Long Pain:

Cast time: 0.5 sec

Recovery: 3.0 sec

Durations:

Firebrand: 60 sec

Concelhaut's Staff, Spirit Lance: 45 sec

Spiritual Weapon: 30 sec

Minor Blights: 24 sec (??? 4 times 6 sec - 6 second for each element)

The Long Pain: 20 sec

Didn't test them out yet. Since the tooltips still contain -2 info I can't say if they changed the properties of the weapons. Will report later.

• Like 2

So, of the 20 seconds that The Long Pain lasts, 3 are wasted on recovery already—more if you're wearing armor. I can't say that's particularly great.

5 seconds casting time for summoned weapons is still way too long. Why they aren't all 0.5/0.0 remains a mystery.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Spirtual Weapon:

now gives you +50% corrosive lash (Berath) and is fine at lvl 6. At lvl fine the tooltip still says 50% corrosive lash - now it's exceptional. You can't see the qiality in the tooltips, you have to attack something and then check the combat log. At lvl 6 the great sword has +4 ACC and +15% damage (fine) and at lvl 9 it has +8 ACC and +30% damage (exceptional). Whan I calculate the corrosive damage I end up at ~65% and not at 50% though. Target was the CRE_Dummy with 0 DR. 

Very weird. I don't know what they mean by "corrosive damage gets calculated correctly" - but it seems this is still not right somehow. Or the math for damage rolls and lashes is totally obscure. Or both.

Firebrand:

Still only scales with level and does burn/pierce. No improvement and therefore strictly inferior to Spiritual Weapon except for the double duration. I personally think that a 50% (or +60%) lash is way more powerful than double duration. I still didn't encounter a fight that lasted more than 30 seconds. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

(FIXED) Rod's Blast Weapon modal does not grant any bonus.

Did they also fix Citadels spirit lance? The extra hits of blast and the lance used to work together with every bonus.

Does the monk buff where crits cause another attack still stack with itself infinitely so some AoE attacks can cause a huge chain of crits?

I also wish that summoned weapons have a much shorter casting time. You already have the disadvantage that you spend 1 of 2 spells of a spell level just to have a weapon while other chars can attack right away and still have all of their resources.

No changes to specialized wizards? The penalties are so big and the advantage is so small. Great, a conjurer can spend one of his spells to summon a useless random familiar. Only the evoker feels useful now. lets compare:

DnD: specialized wizards lose 1 out of 8 spell schools but they gain 1 spell slot per spell level.

PoE2: specialized wizards lose 2 out of 5 spell schools and have a recovery penalty for the other 2 spell schools, they gain 1 power level for their specialized school and a talent that may be useful or not.

• Like 2

I was expecting more significant changes, like casters in general or at least the fixing of game-breaking bugs, like Spiritual Weapon hitting for ridiculous damages. There's also no mention of Skaen Priest's missing Sneak Attack, are they supposed to not get Sneak Attack anymore? That'd be lame.

Spiritual Weapon was hitting for ridiculous damage because corrosive damage (spiritual weapons have a corrode lash) in general was bugged. They've fixed that so Spiritual Weapon should be fine now:

"(FIXED) Corrosive damage is calculating incorrectly."

Skaen's Spiritual Weapon also one-shots mobs. I did 250 damage with a crit once, but in general it does 100+ damage. Unless it does Corrode damage as well and I just haven't noticed.

Edited by Christliar

Concelhaut's Staff now drains 20% endurance at lvl 9. It also has an inherent +5 ACC bonus that stacks with the scaling quality. SO at vl 9 you will get +5 + 8 (exceptional) = +13 ACC.

Minor Blights have an inherent ACC bonus of +20 that stacks with scaling (+8 exceptional at lvl 9) and also gets +12 from one handed use - or +30% speed with an offhand weapon.

Tested with Minor Blights: Swift Flurry with this kind of ACC boost will still one-shot all enemies in range with one shot - because a crits from Flurry will cause another crit that will cause another crit and so on. Cascading and not funny. I guess the same is still true with Cleaving Stance.

• Like 2

Citzal's Spirit Lance:

scales like the others, does AoE damage. No ACC bonus or whatever. Honestly Minor Blights at lvl 3 is MUCH more powerful. It only has half the duration though.

Swift Flurry + Citzal's Spirit Lance works the same as Blights + Flurry: cascading crits. Meh...  

Edit: summoning Blights still causes a crash of the game in let's say 30% of cases.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Bit disappointing to see severe balance issues that have been brought up multiple times haven't been addressed (cascading crits, cast times, Firebrand and Citzal Spirit Lance—are stacking rules still a mess?)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

Spirtual Weapon:

now gives you +50% corrosive lash (Berath) and is fine at lvl 6. At lvl fine the tooltip still says 50% corrosive lash - now it's exceptional. You can't see the qiality in the tooltips, you have to attack something and then check the combat log. At lvl 6 the great sword has +4 ACC and +15% damage (fine) and at lvl 9 it has +8 ACC and +30% damage (exceptional). Whan I calculate the corrosive damage I end up at ~65% and not at 50% though. Target was the CRE_Dummy with 0 DR. 

Very weird. I don't know what they mean by "corrosive damage gets calculated correctly" - but it seems this is still not right somehow. Or the math for damage rolls and lashes is totally obscure. Or both.

Firebrand:

Still only scales with level and does burn/pierce. No improvement and therefore strictly inferior to Spiritual Weapon except for the double duration. I personally think that a 50% (or +60%) lash is way more powerful than double duration. I still didn't encounter a fight that lasted more than 30 seconds. 

I think it is bugged because the penetration bonus for physical damage is an additive, but for lash it is still a multiplier.

The change to cast/recovery times actually makes most of those spells less usable, except in very long fights. (The exception being those with 0 recovery, which were spared from getting the +1s recovery to "balance" -1s action speed.) They still take so long to cast that they're only good if you cast them before combat starts or while you're debuffing/buffing. For pre-casts which initiate combat, the extra second of recovery makes it more difficult to put up defenses (or smoke veil) before enemies counterattack. For spells cast while debuffing (for example, having your melee characters run around whacking enemies with the corresponding -25 defense modal) and buffing, 5 seconds gives you less time to debuff groups of enemies, while the 2 seconds of recovery leaves DPS basically unchanged. Since you don't leave stealth until the spell is cast, it makes casters more vulnerable for their first cast.

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 3

Besides, -1s casting / +1s recovery doesn't really make the overall time any shorter—it's unchanged, and even worse off for self-buffs as you'll be wasting 1s of their duration in recovery (which you wouldn't have before the change.) Not only is it not a move in the right direction; it's mostly not even a move.

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the beta is still an endless black screen for me when I launch the game. Running on a Mac, not sure what to do :/

Oh no :/ Can you elaborate a bit on your steps to load? Does it attempt the game on steam and just black screen, or are you able to get into a New Game?

I can get to the title screen, but when I launch a new game it never gets to the character creation, there's just a black screen unfortunatel

Alright thank you for the info, that helps! Can you first try giving it a good amount of time on the black screen? There we some bugs with the loading screen on first load.

I let it try to load overnight but still nothing, just a loading black screen. It's okay though! Will just be more anticipation/excitement when I can play in April! :)

Unfortunately, the beta is still an endless black screen for me when I launch the game. Running on a Mac, not sure what to do :/

Oh no :/ Can you elaborate a bit on your steps to load? Does it attempt the game on steam and just black screen, or are you able to get into a New Game?

I can get to the title screen, but when I launch a new game it never gets to the character creation, there's just a black screen unfortunatel

Alright thank you for the info, that helps! Can you first try giving it a good amount of time on the black screen? There we some bugs with the loading screen on first load.

I let it try to load overnight but still nothing, just a loading black screen. It's okay though! Will just be more anticipation/excitement when I can play in April! :)

Darn I was hoping was this would do it, I am sorry! If youd like to continue troubleshooting it with me please send me a direct message with your specs and I will see if we can get the ball rolling for you!

• Like 1

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...