Beta update?

dukeisaac

I have no idea what anything in that link means but I suspect you sir are the real wizard here

In short, none of that has to mean anything, but one can watch the patterns and make educated guesses when something might be coming down the line.

Every time there is a change to a steam title, the fact that there was a change goes on something of a public record.  By watching the timing of those changes you can get a feel for when to start expecting updates.  With regards to the Backer Beta, updates on the Public branch (what we see) have followed shortly after there were updates to the (internal only) Stable and press branches.

Again, you can't read too much into the logs.  Maybe the internal team finds a bug as they're gearing up for Beta 4.  Maybe the updates only concern the GM version.  Maybe this is just all prep for a PAX East press build.  There's honestly no way to know for sure.

But in any event, its just another tool to glimpse the pace of development.

• Like 3

If Obsidian can’t ship a beta patch covering a small slice of the game on schedule, less than a week before the full game was slated to ship, how were they ever going to ship the full game on April 3 in the first place?

I feel like if you worked in any major tech enterprise you would know how silly this sentiment is. Just the act of releasing something is a time-suck and a distraction. I work on a team that makes twice-weekly binary pushes (and it's a web app, so no complicated steam/GOG rollouts), and we have dedicated release rotations and testing engineers and infrastructure to make that happen, and even then sometimes we back out on a release if we can't aren't able to get our act together. And I work at a large company; Obsidian is puny by comparison.

• Like 1

If Obsidian can’t ship a beta patch covering a small slice of the game on schedule, less than a week before the full game was slated to ship, how were they ever going to ship the full game on April 3 in the first place?

I feel like if you worked in any major tech enterprise you would know how silly this sentiment is. Just the act of releasing something is a time-suck and a distraction. I work on a team that makes twice-weekly binary pushes (and it's a web app, so no complicated steam/GOG rollouts), and we have dedicated release rotations and testing engineers and infrastructure to make that happen, and even then sometimes we back out on a release if we can't aren't able to get our act together. And I work at a large company; Obsidian is puny by comparison.

Most gamers don't really understand how code development works. Lasweetlife probably thinks his inflammatory post will goad Obsidian into getting the beta out faster to "prove him wrong". Like that's how it really works.

• Like 3

When we get a beta update, it will probably be one of those things where stuff we discover/feedback we produce will possibly make it into a day 1 patch, but not the release version. Which is fine by me, I fully expect and would be disappointed if we didn't have a day 1 patch.

I have no idea what anything in that link means but I suspect you sir are the real wizard here

In short, none of that has to mean anything, but one can watch the patterns and make educated guesses when something might be coming down the line.

Every time there is a change to a steam title, the fact that there was a change goes on something of a public record.  By watching the timing of those changes you can get a feel for when to start expecting updates.  With regards to the Backer Beta, updates on the Public branch (what we see) have followed shortly after there were updates to the (internal only) Stable and press branches.

Again, you can't read too much into the logs.  Maybe the internal team finds a bug as they're gearing up for Beta 4.  Maybe the updates only concern the GM version.  Maybe this is just all prep for a PAX East press build.  There's honestly no way to know for sure.

But in any event, its just another tool to glimpse the pace of development.

What I'm hearing is: if there isn't a beta by the end of the day, I should get so angry my underwear twists itself into tight little knots

Is today not a holiday in the US? It is here in the UK.

I don't think so. Is today "Good Friday"? I looked and all I can find is today is National Doctor's Day. It's Easter on Sunday, of course, but today seems like a normal day for most US places. I don't even think Good Friday is a "no work" type of holiday.

Not in most US states, including California.

I for one do indeed include California in the US. :)

Yes, but it's not one of the states in which it's a holiday---specifically, "Connecticut, Texas, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina and North Dakota." (What a random seeming list... I'd expected Texas and Louisiana because of Catholicism. But why North Dakota and North Carolina, but not South Dakota and South Carolina?)

We're still here working away! And the Backer Update is coming! SUPER SOON! 

Its here!  It's here!

Well, it's on steam at least.  Haven't checked GOG.   :p

Where on Steam? I'm using Steam and I don't see any indication....

Edit: Ah, now it's working.

Edited by SaruNi