I saw an ad for Deadfire on my Facebook feed that called it the "sequel to one of the highest rated PC games of all time."

That surprised me a little... So I did some digging. According to Metacritic, PoE is the 134th highest rated PC title of all time.

Now we all know ad campaigns play fast and loose with the facts, and I have nothing but the highest respect for the achievements of the original game (or else why would I be here) but I'm wondering-- is 134th really enough to justify such a claim? Do you think the (presumably Versus Evil marketing team) is maybe a bit out of line on this one?

Are you 100% certain this is what the ad said? Do you have a link or something? I can maybe see them saying one of the highest rated RPG games or something. Were there any pictures/text saying which ratings they were refering to?

Are you 100% certain this is what the ad said? Do you have a link or something? I can maybe see them saying one of the highest rated RPG games or something. Were there any pictures/text saying which ratings they were refering to?

I was starting to doubt whether maybe it had actually said it was one of the "highest rated RPGs" of all time, which would be a bit more reasonable imo, but nope. I went back and found the ad again and it does indeed say highest rated  "game"

post-42698-0-83142100-1517356835_thumb.png

Only 134 PC games have ever been made so...

Yeah, my thoughts were along these lines, as in, how many PC games have been made, or feature in Metacritic's database/charts anyways? I'd say #134 is a pretty damn good placing if you consider how vast that category could potentially be (also I believe the game would place even higher if you were to factor in the number of reviews alongside the average rating - after all several games are rated higher than Pillars in the list whilst having only a tenth of the reviews it has (see Civ II, at no. 11 but with only 7 reviews to its name)). So I don't think it's *that* big a stretch, in all fairness.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

It should have said one of the highest rated ‘crowd funded’ games of all time, a claim which Feargus has echoed before and is totally true.

I even would have been cool with "one of the highest rated RPGs of all time." I mean I haven't exactly checked but it must be pretty up there

And let me just restate that I have the utmost respect for how acclaimed PoE1 was and is, 134th is a flawed standard and even if it wasn't is still a great achievement. My only uncertainty was to the degree that the claim might seem misleading to the average reader

Edited by fortuntek

why use metacritic as benchmark?  is a reasonable assumption, but perhaps versus evil relies on mr. bob jenkins rating o' games as their baseline.  bob, an austin native and local pest control expert located near the v. evil headquarters, curiously also claims to be "the state's number one man for relocation o' bats and armadillo."  doesn't appear to be any objective basis for  bob's armadillo claims neither.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You must have confused Austin with San Antonio:

https://jenkinspest.com

The guy is a bat-relocating marvel! His jingle is "Show me the way to Armadillo!" which he wrote by himself with the help of his grandpa, Tony Frisbee.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

There is some merit to that claim, but I can see the problems with it as well. Not to defend that statement blindly, but if you take any topic where there has been a giant total amount of cases, number 134 is really an impressive feat. If you take the 134th best soccer player ever without getting into specifics, he is/was probably a legend in his club and on his national team. If you take the amount of games made to pc, that rating is in the top 1 percentile for sure. 

That said, I think adding "one of the highest rated RPGs of all time" instead would have been the right call. 

Edited by TheisEjsing

Saying 'One of the best/highest/etc' is such a vague comment it doesn't actually mean anything.

And who gives a **** what metacritic says? My favourite game might be your pile of fecal matter. And vice versa.

nowt

Why do we care exactly?

Well it's still over 2 months until Pillars 2 releases and we have to do something until then, right?
Precisely :p

Frankly I was just curious what others thought, although "who cares" is a rather common response to my (well intentioned) questions... */world's smallest violin*

I'm not overly concerned haha

Edited by fortuntek
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity, which is the highest rated? (not professional critics, but users)

Ps. Forget it, it is The Witcher 3 (BG 2 comes second). Both of them RPGs (sort of in the case of the Witcher), ummmm...

Edited by No idea
  • Like 2