I was thinking about:

Chanter with maxed res, per, and int, dumped dex and 10 in might and end? With rautai and merchant as background.

But I still suck.

Maxed res, per and int stays, I simply need those for story and dialogue. Would cipher with maxed res, per and int be a better choice?

You don't need to have all three attributes maxed out to get through the story.  Also, if all you care about is the story, there's a story time mode that's supposed to be super simple.  Don't know how simple from first hand experience, mind you, just that it's about as simple as it gets.

Also, not all attribute checks require a max value to pass the check.  Plenty of them require some value between 12 to 16.  Max value checks seemed rare to me, IIRC.

Also, why do you say that you suck?  What problems are you having?  

If you're very concerned about having all the dialogue nailed down, do keep in mind having around 15 in critical stats will let you boost them up to 18 with a single item or buff. It'd be fine but I wouldnt be able to justify the RES very easily unless you plan to get up close. If you're planning to play on normal or hard I can't don't even think you have to ponder too much about your stat-spread at all, as you level up it'll matter less and less. Anywho to answer your question, for a Cipher I'd probably go for moderate stats across the board and use the keep for RES I suppose.

What difficulty are you aiming to play at?

Okay, that's all good. My last playthrough going on now, in preparation for Deadfire is a ranged Cipher on POTD with the stat spread:

MIG:15 / CON:10 / DEX:10 / PER:15 / INT:18 / RES:10

This is far from min-maxed and its not supposed to be so in any case either for my own playthrough, but feel free to dump CON or MIG for instance depending on your stance towards a supporting role. If you would like to get RES for some dialogue checks or keep it up in general - you can easily do so whilst PER and INT is actually benefitting me very much. I don't do the most damage in my party by far and Im not supposed to.

If you're still concerned about RES at this point, please have a look at this post

It shouldnt be a problem to hit most of the dialogue checks at that point.

• Like 1

I'll say what I always say when people worry about missing attribute locked dialogue options: you're not missing much at all. Most of them elicit a single line of extra dialogue from the NPC your talking to followed by the default response, a few get you minor rewards (and I mean minor) and only perhaps two or three have significant content behind them. Of those, there is usually more than one attribute that can get you the extra content so maxing out all three isn't needed or desirable.

My advice: go with a good attribute spread for your character and you'll probably have at least one of the mental attributes high enough to get what you want.

I'll say what I always say when people worry about missing attribute locked dialogue options: you're not missing much at all. Most of them elicit a single line of extra dialogue from the NPC your talking to followed by the default response, a few get you minor rewards (and I mean minor) and only perhaps two or three have significant content behind them. Of those, there is usually more than one attribute that can get you the extra content so maxing out all three isn't needed or desirable.

My advice: go with a good attribute spread for your character and you'll probably have at least one of the mental attributes high enough to get what you want.

Agreed! It's also worth noting RES is widely known as the attribute to open up all these options in dialogue, while this is to some extent true - it's far from a guaranteed win-option. Many times RES will have effect but not necessarily a good effect on whatever situational outcome. I think we'll see even more of this in PoE2 with all it's reactive writing. 

The whole point is to always have your thematic strengths and weaknesses in scripted interactions, combat and dialogue. While you can to some degree evenly spread this and hit most of the checks, whenever you do and don't hit the checks is what makes it fun (imho anyway). 

• Like 1