Favorite Video Game Trailers

Katphood

trailer included a different composer than most o' the game and much trailer content never made it into the release. no gameplay neither.  even so, we were well and fully hooked with the trailer. 

HA! Good Fun!

That does sound more like the original concept music by Brian Williams than Mark Morgan's work - is that the case? There used to be downloads of his work for the game on the Interplay website circa the late 90s and early 2000s (that I have copies of), but this trailer's music was not included. Too bad, too, since I came in thinking that I couldn't really remember any trailers, and instantly remembered the entirety of that trailer when I saw you posted it, even though it's been forever since I saw it.

This one from Icewind Dale isn't quite as memorable. :(

I know that at some point Lustmord was in talks to scoring the game, but that eventually fell through. I wonder if he got to do any music for it at all.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I know that at some point Lustmord was also in talks to scoring the game, but that eventually fell through. I wonder if he got to do any music for it at all, however.

Lustmord used to have an interview section on his site with this in it (you can still see it through a WebCite citation or the Internet Archive)

Have you ever sampled something from a Lustmord CD to put it in a movie?

No. Though individual sounds that I created for use in Lustmord have appeared in movies though, and didn't get used in Lustmord as a result.

I was working on a Lustmord album when approached by Interplay to compose music for their gamer "Planescape: Torment". Quite a few elements from that album ended up being used on Planescape (they liked it and wanted to use it). Later, after a new producer decided to change musical direction and didn't use the work that I'd done, some of that music ended up being reworked back into Lustmord again and about 10 minutes of it is in "Metavoid".

Was it the first time you were working on a video game?

Yes, and it was a terrible experience.

Why?

It was very enjoyable to start with, but then the original producer quit and things changed. The company responsible is very corporate, lots of attorneys in suits etc

Originally they loved what I was doing, then, after four months of work, and six weeks before the game was released, they decided on a completely different musical direction and said they were "now thinking more along the lines of John Williams " (!)

I suggested that in that case they hire John Williams and pay him his usual $1M fee

So I was out, and my work, about 46 pieces of music in all, went unused.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I liked that trailer so much I bought the song on Amazon. It's still on one of my jogging playlists.

Thought the game was horribly mediocre, though.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

If we're talking classics from 1996. A touch long winded, but at the time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPQHdVG1lc

Which also reminds us of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawWLwzV6yQ

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

is the intro, but was the trailer of sorts.  The crowd reaction to it is great though (people saying Power Overwhelming with the Archon was something I did as well :lol:)

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I know that at some point Lustmord was also in talks to scoring the game, but that eventually fell through. I wonder if he got to do any music for it at all, however.

Lustmord used to have an interview section on his site with this in it (you can still see it through a WebCite citation or the Internet Archive)

Have you ever sampled something from a Lustmord CD to put it in a movie?

No. Though individual sounds that I created for use in Lustmord have appeared in movies though, and didn't get used in Lustmord as a result.

I was working on a Lustmord album when approached by Interplay to compose music for their gamer "Planescape: Torment". Quite a few elements from that album ended up being used on Planescape (they liked it and wanted to use it). Later, after a new producer decided to change musical direction and didn't use the work that I'd done, some of that music ended up being reworked back into Lustmord again and about 10 minutes of it is in "Metavoid".

Was it the first time you were working on a video game?

Yes, and it was a terrible experience.

Why?

It was very enjoyable to start with, but then the original producer quit and things changed. The company responsible is very corporate, lots of attorneys in suits etc

Originally they loved what I was doing, then, after four months of work, and six weeks before the game was released, they decided on a completely different musical direction and said they were "now thinking more along the lines of John Williams " (!)

I suggested that in that case they hire John Williams and pay him his usual $1M fee

So I was out, and my work, about 46 pieces of music in all, went unused.

That sucks, and yeah, it's rather baffling to hear they wanted John Williams of all styles for this type of game. It would have definitely been interesting to hear how his score for it would have turned out.

Also listening to Metavoid right now and I do reckon that trailer music is his work. There are some very similar textures and ideas in both (especially to "The Eliminating Angel" and "The Outer Shadow"): https://lustmord.bandcamp.com/album/metavoid

Also derp: for some reason I keep forgetting Brian Williams = Lustmord.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The announcement trailer for Horizon: Zero Dawn at E3 2015:

It introduced the interesting premise and world, and provided glimpses into the gameplay and graphics - which turned out to be accurate of the actual game released two years later.

Edited by ktchong

• 9 months later...

Good ol' Westwood...

Great, now I want an XCOM type Dune game.

Or a Dune reskin of XCOM 2. Leading a group of Fremen, Smuggler and Atreides survivors in an insurgency against Houses Harkonnen, Corrino, the Sardaukar, Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax...

Are you happy now?

Proud of what you have done?

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hmmm, am I the only one who loved Dead Island?! I liked how you could explore indoors and areas that were all of sudden so completely void of life.

Great, now I want an XCOM type Dune game.

Or a Dune reskin of XCOM 2. Leading a group of Fremen, Smuggler and Atreides survivors in an insurgency against Houses Harkonnen, Corrino, the Sardaukar, Bene Gesserit, Bene Tleilax...

Are you happy now?

Proud of what you have done?

Every once in a while I decide to upgrade my PC, only to realize that in the grim darkness of future, there are no 'PC exclusives'. :( Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Still remains a favorite til this day!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• 2 weeks later...