Playing as an Eothan priest

One of my favourite chars is a a priest of Eothas. Do you think the game will acknowledge your choice of deity much this time around? It will stick out an awful lot if it doesn't, especially when we have two Eothas worshipping companions who are likely to talk our ears off about how much he matters to them and how confused they are. Grumble, grumble. 

I would be shocked if it did not.

would be equal shocked if deadfire recognized eothas priestliness significant more than did poe, which is kinda sad. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

PoE: Start a game. Roll a priest of Eothas. Go to Gilded Vale and spreak to Edér. Get the dialogue option "Who's Eothas?". Ermmm...

they fixed it ;) Dialogue is now 'How is Eothas perceived in Dyrwood' or something similar.

Hope for some nice reactivity in Deadfire as White March has small but good stuff. 

• Like 1

big funny for poe priests were wael.  in poe you could get a couple extra lines o' wael dialogue, but only a couple.  the irony being you needed at least a couple tiers o' honesty disposition to access 'em.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

big funny for poe priests were wael.  in poe you could get a couple extra lines o' wael dialogue, but only a couple.  the irony being you needed at least a couple tiers o' honesty disposition to access 'em.

HA! Good Fun!

Yes, the Wael priestess did not believe my Wael priest when I said I had given that book back to Wael, because I had used every opportunity to increase my dishonesty score. 

It is so counter-intuitive for an RPG that lying makes you worse at lying. Word really gets around that I pretended I didn't have a bad dream. 

• Like 5

HA! Good Fun!

Yes, the Wael priestess did not believe my Wael priest when I said I had given that book back to Wael, because I had used every opportunity to increase my dishonesty score. 

It is so counter-intuitive for an RPG that lying makes you worse at lying. Word really gets around that I pretended I didn't have a bad dream. 

Wow. I heard priest of Wael is huge mistake in this game  :o

• Like 1

What interests me is what happens

If you choose to empower Woedica with the souls at the end of Pillars 1.

Will you then continue to be a priest of Eothas, or get a new and possible otherwise unobtainable priest subclass.

don't expect major limits or options based on such poe choices.  at one point we suggested a catchall priest option with no specific deity in part to deal with the minor and major deity questions facing priests post poe.  didn't get much traction. at the same time, developers has made clear they don't wanna put limits 'pon player choices 'less there is compelling balance reasons to do so. developers is gonna leave up to you to explain class choice conflicts or inconsistencies...  which with a bit o' imagination, is never particular difficult. 

expect no more than limited recognition o' the vast majority o' poe choices and you is gonna be facing less disappointment. 

HA! Good Fun!

What interests me is what happens

If you choose to empower Woedica with the souls at the end of Pillars 1.

Will you then continue to be a priest of Eothas, or get a new and possible otherwise unobtainable priest subclass.

You are still priest of Eothas as you can choose one in the beta. It's more like a Skaen ending than Woedica and if you decide to betray him, there are really nasty things happening. But it's bugged so you cannot see ending slide but you can find one in files. I don't think they will build something big due to ending choices, probably it will be more like some kind of cosmetic reactivity.

Edited by White Phoenix

HA! Good Fun!

It doesn't make you worse at lying. 

The Deceptive reputation is how others see you. Do you honestly (heh) expect your character being taken on their word if you consistently role-play a deceitful douchebag?

Edited by Tagaziel
  • Like 1

HA! Good Fun!

It doesn't make you worse at lying. 

The Deceptive reputation is how others see you. Do you honestly (heh) expect your character being taken on their word if you consistently role-play a deceitful douchebag?

I get the concept, but how does the priest of Wael know I told some frivolous lies to my friends about what happened to me before I reached Gilded Vale? And also, as a priest of Wael, I am rewarded for lying and punished for telling the truth. 

I get the concept, but how does the priest of Wael know I told some frivolous lies to my friends about what happened to me before I reached Gilded Vale? And also, as a priest of Wael, I am rewarded for lying and punished for telling the truth.

Well, how does the Legion know that you killed Vulpes at Nipton if you kill every single person there with extreme prejudice? It's pretty much the problem with creating game systems. The game doesn't assign frivolous lies a lot of weight (interactions don't contribute to reputations equally, a white lie won't be the same as convincing someone you didn't find item X, when you're pocketing it for yourself and his friends see you parade with it), but if you tell them a lot, they coalesce - and by the time you reach Defiance Bay you have already gained notoriety as the new Roadwarden.

On Wael, I think it's because the lies you tell happen to align with the god of mysteries' agenda. Pure lying and deception would only be favored by Skaen.

Personally for those playing characters with a Priest of Eothas, how are you going to reconcile (roleplaying wise) your discovery that 

the Gods were created and did not pre-exist as 'Gods' in the traditional sense

?

Does your character continue to worship?  Why? 

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Hell, that's an issue with a priest of anything. But there are several options. You could disbelieve Iovara, or you could believe that there's no reason that a constructed god isn't as "divine" as a non-constructed god. In lots of fantasy settings there were gods that didn't used to exist as gods, people still worship them.

Presumably the "god" just becomes the physical embodiment of its domain at that point. If you believe in the concept of redemption, Eothas is still there as an ultra-powerful exemplar of redemption, true divinity or not.

Edited by CottonWolf
  • Like 3

I think there's a bigger issue at work here, one that I haven't seen widely addressed. The very fact that the gods are real and have a real, measurable impact on the lives of people invalidates religion, as belief is no longer an integral part of it: You don't believe that Eothas exists. He does regardless of your belief, much like the mountains, the oceans, or the pig you had for dinner (though it's likely transformed into something else in the meantime).

Think about it. The true gods are entities with a tangible impact and presence, entities that you can interact with directly to boot. You don't believe that rituals you carry out or your actions/lack thereof affect your standing with the gods. They do. Hiravias is a particularly fine example of how this impacts the individual person: He knows that Galawain and Wael meant something when they sicced that autumn stelgaer on him, because the gods are real. In a godless world, he wouldn't have the foggiest and he would likely use religion as a crutch to rationalize his random maiming. 

From what I gather, this is precisely what the Engwithans were getting at when they birthed the gods: Give the world structure and eliminate religious conflict by introducing real, tangible gods who can give meaning to random occurrences in kith lives. It evidently worked, as barring the Inquisition, there's been no long-term religious strife that I recall (the Saint's War was a defensive war against an aggressive neighbor, rather than a crusade; hell, the very fact that Eothas exists and the global commonality of faith precludes the crusade scenario, as everyone believes the same gods).

This rather lengthy run-up brings me to the point that learning of the origin of the gods might change very little in the working relationship of a priest of Eothas, if at all. The deity still exists and provides an anchor point for a specific philosophy and priestly powers. They still respond much the same as they did in the past when interacting with their followers. 

From where I stand, do we think any less of philosophers, merely because they were born? If not, are the gods of Eora really any different?

• Like 6

In DnD the gods come and go and chop and change over time. Mortals have become gods, hell you can become a god at the end of BG2.

Don't think it's too big of a deal, but apparently the intro of Deadfire has Eothas destroy your keep and take your soul or something? That's more of a reason not to worship him anymore, after how much money you put into that keep and he goes and nackers it!

• Like 2

nowt

In DnD the gods come and go and chop and change over time. Mortals have become gods, hell you can become a god at the end of BG2.

Don't think it's too big of a deal, but apparently the intro of Deadfire has Eothas destroy your keep and take your soul or something? That's more of a reason not to worship him anymore, after how much money you put into that keep and he goes and nackers it!

But if you're a Priest of Eothas, you should forgive him for wrecking your ****.... Because Eothas said so.

• Like 1

How and why Eothas got stuck in that body is important though. In the last game Eothas seemed to do something insane and crazy and it turned out to be for a very good reason.

So I presume it is the same here. Eothas would probably be served by actually explaining to his worshipers why he does stuff though.

• Like 1

I think there's a bigger issue at work here, one that I haven't seen widely addressed. The very fact that the gods are real and have a real, measurable impact on the lives of people invalidates religion, as belief is no longer an integral part of it: You don't believe that Eothas exists. He does regardless of your belief, much like the mountains, the oceans, or the pig you had for dinner (though it's likely transformed into something else in the meantime).

Think about it. The true gods are entities with a tangible impact and presence, entities that you can interact with directly to boot. You don't believe that rituals you carry out or your actions/lack thereof affect your standing with the gods. They do. Hiravias is a particularly fine example of how this impacts the individual person: He knows that Galawain and Wael meant something when they sicced that autumn stelgaer on him, because the gods are real. In a godless world, he wouldn't have the foggiest and he would likely use religion as a crutch to rationalize his random maiming. 

Yeah that is generally something that makes fantasy religion different from real religion, with the notable exception of Dragon Age. I mean my character has had conversations with most of the gods already.

Though oddly, Ondra didn't seem to actually care at all about the bizarre rituals they had in the Abbey of the Fallen Moon. Nor did the other gods that I could see. Well I guess they got upset if you didn't pray to them the correct way in Teir Evron.

Edited by Valmy

Interesting comments guys. 

Of course this is all subjective as it is our personal meta-narrative on how we feel comfortable playing a priest who worships such a God.

But in this setting, do the powers then come directly from the priests' God, or is it fuelled by pure belief and willpower much like other powers and abilities, regardless if there is a conscious and acting created entity which it is in the name of?

Does this potentially then mean that a person could manifest these same abilities without the assistance or direct intervention of the god as a conduit for them?  (even if it may provoke their wrath).  

What then, if it is by pure belief/will, distinguishes a priest from say a wizard, other than the way their will is manifested?   Why then, believe in the gods other than as a useful conscious tool or channel for what ultimately comes down to a person's own power? (as the pantheon is currently known).

All speculation, but thoughts I've had in the story so far.

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.