Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking to create a char for a later import in PoE2

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Did you take Novice's Suffering? If yes, then your damage and accuracy will scale automatically. With Two Weapon Style also your attack speed in thick armor will be good.

This is not the optimal approach to FoD damage. It's not bad, but the best results would be with Firebrand or an arquebus - or dual Bittercut with a Bleak Walker's or so.

As long as you are too squishy I would keep the thick armor on until you feel it gets better.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
Ok so it's trial and error basically.. if I die.. then it's not good. :)
I've made exactly the build you recommended, except it's moon gl so it has 19 starting mig.
The other character I'm gonna try is ranger. But I don't like it melee. Is there a way to be sort of... ranged tank? So that I can be in the front line with him? Forgive me if it's a silly question... I never tried..

P.S. I've taken novices suffering, yes. I just hope it fares well when in the fray.

Edited by Slack83er, 30 January 2018 - 07:07 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Heavy armor has no effect on reloading time - so you could do a gun ranger in plate armor who shoots at point blank or something like that.

There is no penalty for using ranged weapons in melee range. You won't have any engagement slots though, but that's all.

Edited by Boeroer, 30 January 2018 - 09:30 AM.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1492 posts

Ok so it's trial and error basically.. if I die.. then it's not good. :)
I've made exactly the build you recommended, except it's moon gl so it has 19 starting mig.
The other character I'm gonna try is ranger. But I don't like it melee. Is there a way to be sort of... ranged tank? So that I can be in the front line with him? Forgive me if it's a silly question... I never tried..

P.S. I've taken novices suffering, yes. I just hope it fares well when in the fray.

Slack83er, I guess that it depends on what you mean by a "sort of ... ranged tank".

You can certainly create a "warrior" who is balanced between ranged and melee combat.  The question sort of becomes, just how much do you want the warrior to be fighting at range vs fighting in melee?   Are you talking about a warrior who carriers a gun or maybe a crossbow and takes an opening shot on the enemy as they close on the party before switching to melee weapons?  or are you talking about something more like a character like, say, Sagani who might be strongly committed to fighting at range, but does have the capability to fight in melee if pressed to do so?    The former character isn't going to worry about reload times, because he'd be taking only the one shot before switching to melee weapons and is probably in heavier armor, while the latter character is probably wearing lighter armor because he is trying to maintain a higher rate of fire and only fights in melee when it's forced upon him.

I've played companions like Kana and Durance as off-tanks who would use both ranged and melee weapons, largely depending on what was most necessary at the time.  I would tend to see Sagani more as a backliner who wants to keep slinging arrows with a hunting bow and only have to fight in melee if some enemy suddenly popped into the rear of the party, like a shadow.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
Ok, to answer your question: more like Sagani. Almost always ranged, switching to melee if hardly pressed. But wearing lighter armor, will he be tanky? It's just that I'd like a ranger to be a frontliner.. But with ranged weapons.

Crucis

Crucis

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1492 posts

Ok, to answer your question: more like Sagani. Almost always ranged, switching to melee if hardly pressed. But wearing lighter armor, will he be tanky? It's just that I'd like a ranger to be a frontliner.. But with ranged weapons.

It's hard to be tanky if you're not in heavier armor and/or using a shield to help your deflection.  The idea of a frontliner using ranged weapons seems ... bizarre.  The whole point of using ranged weapons is so that you can hide behind the tanky frontliners, and pew-pew them with your machine gun arrows or hammer them with your guns.  I can see the jack-of-all-trades off tank sitting just behind the front liners using guns, perhaps pistols (though they're a tad short ranged), but then jumping into the front line when you need more warm bodies.  But a front liner in light armor and using ranged weapons seems difficult and almost self-defeating.  But if you want to give it a try, more power to you.

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You could always do a reach weapon which for the most part will keep you out of range of direct hits. but keep you close to front line. Maybe park behind animal to attack stuff. There are no reach weapons with wounding though. Nothing to special for ranger with reach. maybe Llawran's Stick  for speed or Tall Grass for hit to crit stuff but prones is sort of wasted if you stun enemies with animal tag team but good weapon in general. You could also take both superior deflection and caution attack with a bow i suppose +13 defl and then maybe some Res and Deflec items :). Then stick up front. I mean that would cost you two talents and i am not sure if the model would stack with swift aim to counter the lose of attack speed. I dont know just thinking of weird combos. 

Edited by draego, 30 January 2018 - 09:02 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
As I said: armor does not affect reload times. So you could use plate and shoot with an arbalest/arquebus/blunderbuss all the time. The new Spike Flinger should reload really fast with Swift Aim + Gunner and decent DEX and you can get it early. Wait... does it bind to rangers?

Silver Flash with Powder Burns later on seems to be nice. You want to be in the front row for those friendly-fire-cones anyways.

But you would have to get there first of all. ;)

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Wait... does it bind to rangers?

It does afaik. When you say it doesn't affect reload times... it's right, but it DOES affect weapon speed...which is already slow, isn't it?

I don't know if it works...I was just curious about it.. :)

Still testing monkadin anyway..

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yes, it slows down recovery. But you would have Swift Aim which is +20% speed and high DEX and the Spike Flinger not only speed up reloading but also recovery if I'm not mistaken, so it would no be too bad.

Quick Switching Island Aumaua with four blunderbusses would suffer nearly no recovery and also no realoding animation for the first shots of course. But that switching is a lot of micro. 

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
Mmm I'm not too sold on that... seems like... forced.
I'm away from home right now and can't test... But as of now I'm up with paladin..

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I also wouldn't do it - but you asked for a ranged ranger in the frontline. ;) 

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

I also wouldn't do it - but you asked for a ranged ranger in the frontline. ;)

Sure, and thanks for trying, but it doesn't seem very viable.. 

I can't think of anything more intriguing than the Monkadin right now... but if you have suggestions... I'm open.. :)

Edit:

...aaaand that'd be: a monk or a barb. Veeery unconventional...yet tanky builds.

Edited by Slack83er, 31 January 2018 - 10:36 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Ranger - Hearth Orlan ( used stock photo) wolf for extra damage and pretend its my dog with me on the adventure :)

M-15 C-9 D-15 P-15 I-9 R-15

Hi Draego, not heard from you for a while... I'm also thinking about ranger. 

Do you think it's gonna be tanky enough? Must it be Orlan or you have other suggestions? Does it only work with Tidefall? I ask all of this because this character is almost identical to my former orlan fighter, but with less intelligence and higher per and res...which I like, but otherwise identical.. Can it play rogue like trapspringing and sneaking?

Stargazer55

Stargazer55

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Excuse me, if I just chime in.

Would something like a paladin/ranger or a paladin/wizard be viable in Deadfire? And how could I emulate that in PoE I?

I tried the monk/paladin and enjoyed the character quite a lot ... however I didn‘t like the flavor of the fist punches. The animations were not to my taste either. But the Kind Wayfarer was very flavorful and nice.

Thanks for helping me out.
  • Slack83er likes this

draego

draego

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ranger - Hearth Orlan ( used stock photo) wolf for extra damage and pretend its my dog with me on the adventure :)

M-15 C-9 D-15 P-15 I-9 R-15

Hi Draego, not heard from you for a while... I'm also thinking about ranger. 

Do you think it's gonna be tanky enough? Must it be Orlan or you have other suggestions? Does it only work with Tidefall? I ask all of this because this character is almost identical to my former orlan fighter, but with less intelligence and higher per and res...which I like, but otherwise identical.. Can it play rogue like trapspringing and sneaking?

No you can change almost everything like Boeroer has demonstrated.

Race:

Good defensive races to look at Coastal Aumaua has really nice defensive talent (stuns and prone are nasty), Moon Goodlike (if you getting hit will heal you and close by animal), wild orlan (extra defense when hit with will attack) even mountain dwarf has a defensive ability if you want more defense.

Stats:

Boeroer finds his build good enough with 3 Res and Shod-in-Faith so you good enough. It would be perfectly fine to move all that Per to Con or event take it from Dex if you like perc for role playing but accuracy is easy to come by with buff, talents, equipment so:

M-15 C-15 D-15 P-9 I-9 R-15

And what is good with con is that it stack with fortitude def and if you take Coastal Aumaua you will have lots of defense against fortitude attacks like stun and prone. Also with these stats for ranger you start with 29 accuracy with this build which i one lower than the best you get with any class of 30. And if you flank (or other debuffs) with animal you drop enemy defl. by 10 right off and later flank plus stunning enemies and casting thorny Roots for stuck gets nasty. 

Also maybe go dual wield (+50% attack speed right off and dual wield talent and Potion of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, i mean you could use that potion with two handed weapon) for faster stuns and even maybe drop dex and pump might and res or con so 

M-18 C-15 D-9 P-9 I-9 R-18 or

M-18 C-15 D-9 P-9 I-12 R-15 like boeroer mentioned for longer duration affects (the few you will have) 

Also with more con and res enemies target you less so they less likely to go out of way to attack you. At least it seemed to me

With droped Dex and Peception you could try one handed weapon with small shield and shield talent to buff deflection and reflex you lost with lower dex and perception. You will be pretty sturdy. I mean i play on hard and i dont use shield and go either dual or two handed but if you dont want to move alot shield is fine.

Maybe even do soemthing gamy and take 14 Perception and take medium shield -4 acc. later in game there is Badgradr's Barricade that hits enemies on crit with nice spell so you can 'dual wield' with shield :) and get deflection. To me you would pretty much be a tank at least a tank in the Pillars of enternity since and still do decent damage with the debuff you can muster with flanked (animal), stunned (stunning shots), stuck (thorny roots) or prone (animal ability), You will attack slower if you drop dex since even with bash shield. the game does not count as dual wield so you dont get +50% speed like you do with dual wield. Durgan steel later on would help the speed but also speed potion

I mean the thing to remember outside maybe Might almost none of the other stats matter and even my all around build number only have 15 might which is not that much

Weapons:

There are plenty of good weapons out there outside tidefall or persistance that tie in with your animal/ranger combo. For ranger look for:

• Wounding (for animal predators sense) (drawn in spring (later in game), Acuan Giamas (real late in game))
  • Coordinating (+4 acc/+25%damage when attacking same enemy as ally, ie animal comp) (Ravenwing, Blesca's Labor, Cladhalíath)
  • Vicious (+20% Damage against Flanked, Prone, Stunned target, ie my ranger/animal will stun/flank enemies easily and almost always have flanked status so this will always be applied) (Dîal Ewn Dibita, Misery's End, Vierina's Leaves, Cladhalíath )
  • Marking (+10 Accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target, ie i want to help my animal crit more and more) (Blade of the Endless Paths, Cladhalíath, Shame or Glory, Spectacular Spetum)

You can go dual wield and use like Cladhalíath (if you not roleplaying super super nice person :). They way you get it is a little sad) and get both (marking and coordinating) on one weapon and then in the off hand you can go with another weapon like hatchet for +5 def if you worried about defense over dps like Hearth Harvest +3 bypass with Vulnerable Attack for another +5 bypass.  Ravenwing nice for Coordinating because its mace with +3 bypass and start with +45% damage (later on upgrades will override the damage).

You can always go for more damage weapons with Annihilation (+0.5 to Crit damage multiplier) like the two Sabres or all Axe or there is one Warhammer. Since you will be debuffing your target with your abilities you will get more and more crits later on. Other good enchant for more damage would be speed enchant. There is several weapons with speed. or Bittercut for just straight corode damage that is a nasty damage weapon. S

Also with weapons if you plan on taking focus you can look for groups of weapons to dual wield to give you ideas. You can also use the Helwax Mold to double up on buff up weapon you like.

Noble Focus: 

Ravenwing/Drawn in spring

Sword of Daenysis/drawn in spring

Vierina's Leaves/drawn in spring

or any combos and with vulnerable attack if small/small combos not cutting it.

Peasant Focus

Cladhalíath/Hearth Harvest

Cladhalíath/Rêghar Konnek

Ruffian

Bittercut/Misery's End 

Bittercut/Blesca's Labor 

Bittercut/Dîal Ewn Dibita 

or Any good Saber with annihilation 

or Sabre/Sabre for lots of damage

You can do this with other focus type also and keep going. I dont even take focus that much any more with my runs so its not a huge concern but it can focus you in on certain weapons if you want to be focused and get some ideas :)

I would stay away from weapons that stun or prone on crit. They are good early on until you get your stunning ability then other weapons would just be better.

I am sure none of this is uber optimal but i dont actually care sometimes its fun to just mess with other weapons because maybe you like the look of it or style. I did a pretty far run with ranger with Spectacular Spetum a marking (not a very exiting ability) Pollaxe because i just like the style of pollaxe and it has nice slash/crush damage types not to optimize the build. 

Skills:

Yes you can be the trap guy. The optimal route for ranger is survival since you get bonus in it and you can get even more bonus against flanked enemies something like 30% more damage by end of game i think. but even 10 or 20% damage helps (the first and second tier version in survival) . but..

you can be the trap guy. You can find background with at least one mechanics and then try to get up to 10 or 11 i think and also save mechanics scrolls to buff +3 when needed and save scrum/rest alot for gloves of manipulations for +2 mechanics in a random loot locaiton (you already need to try this to find Stalker's Torc in random loot tables) and wear when needed and also you can get resting bonus from your strong hold for any really hard traps. So like drifter for stealth/mechanic bonus. And if you are going this route some stealth would be fine there are a few quests where both stealth and mechanics on someone helps like maybe 2 or so and some stealth is nice for start of battle to keep you hidden for maybe one sec longer so enemies will target someone else first. 

If you want more active abilities, lore is also a nice choice. You will have spells to cast beside fighting and get some roleplaying choices for it. in that case go for more dex than perc or something else

Edited by draego, 31 January 2018 - 07:00 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
@Stargazer:

Both Combos are viable in Deadfire. For example Bleak Walker/Sharpshooter is pretty strong (especially with dual scepter - not very ranger-like though ;)).

Paladin/Wizard is also good because of the awesome self-buffing of the wizard and the naturally high defenses of the paladin. Also Citzal's Spirit Lance + Flames of Devotion = total wreckage.

Paladin/Ranger is quite easy in PoE: use an arquebus or arbalest and pick Runner's Wounding Shot and so on.

Or the other way round: use a ranger and pick Gallant's Focus. You can also go melee and use Tidefall with Wounding Shots - or even a weapon & shield setup like a marking + coordinating Cladhaliath + Badgradr's Barricade. Vile Loner's Lance + Badgradr's Barricade is also nice. The Barricade's Thrust of Tattered Veils works with Penetrating Shot and also Driving Flight. Together with Stunning Shots it procs all the time.

There's also a marking pistol named St. Garam's Spark which can emulate Coordinated Attacks for your pet and works well with Wounding Shot and later Powder Burns. There also is an arquebus with that feature, but it comes quite late.

Paladin/Wizard is a bit trickier. But a Darcozzi Paladini with Inspiring Liberation and that marking wand Cgadob's Hazel would be a good ranged ACC support. I wouldn't use FoD though - except if you switch to a quarterstaff like Durance's Staff for it. You could use Prestidigitator's Missiles. They are good with Penetrating Shot and Sworn Enemy.

The other way round would maybe be a melee wizard with self buffs and Gallant's Focus. Weapon & Shield wizards are viable - summoned weapons, too. Summons like tentacles and stuff also profit from Gallant's Focus.

A Wizard/Ranger with blunderbusses is pretty fun if you use Expose Vulnerabilities + Combusting Wounds with blunderbuss shots. Or aim for late Cadebald's Blackbow and use other bows in the meantime with Alacrity + Martial Power. The Blackbow is pretty strong. You'll be an Arcane Archer sort of. Use Penetrating Shots for Minor Missiles, Bounding Missiles and stuff.

Other way round: Golden Gaze with Swift Aim and Driving Flight is good, too.

Edited by Boeroer, 31 January 2018 - 09:37 PM.

Stargazer55

Stargazer55

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The arcane archer sounds appealing. I actually never considered wizard as an MC class before. That‘s something I have to try. Is there anything (stats or something) I should consider? I suck when it comes to mastering the mechanics of this game.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13323 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Stats for a bow wizard are similar to that of a blast wizard. Although you *can* get away with lowish INT if you don't use AoE based spells too much but concentrate on spells like missiles, bolts and stuff that have no duration and no AoE. I would never dump it though.

Best race would be Wood Elf of course.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

You know, Boeroer and Stargazer... the idea of the scepter-wielding paladin doesn't seem bad... a noble... Darcozzi, with prestidigitator's missiles..and some magic (but how to?)...I dunno... The only doubt I have about it (as with any ranged pally) is how useful the zealous areas will be, if you're not amidst your companions... 

For Draego: thanks for the awesome answer. 

I give you details on what I'd like: 

RACE: fine with Orlan...I don't dislike him at all, a race full of PoE lore.

STATS: I'd like to have PER and RES. Last time I had all INT. In a test i gave him M15 - C10 - D13 - P16 - I9 - R16...

WEAPONS: two weapons, and I know how Cladhaliath is obtained, no problem about that. Hatchet is also something I like. Do 2 hatchet result in +10 deflection?

SKILLS: I wanna play the trap guy, definitely. Would you spread like STEALTH-MECH-SURV or MECH-SURV-LORE (which afaik adds to dialogues) ?

Do you think it's gonna work? Or lower Dex a bit more?

Edited by Slack83er, 01 February 2018 - 05:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users