Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking to create a char for a later import in PoE2

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Any other suggestion? Paladins? Rogues? Anyone played 'em?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In the deadfire beta paladins are pretty powerful at the moment.

I do especially like Paladin/Monk and also Paladin/Rogue as well as Paladin/Chanter.

Paladin/Chanter is difficult to emulate in PoE (the cross class summoning talent is very bad) - but Paladin/Monk (use Novice's Suffering and do Flames of Devotion with it) or Paladin/Rogue (Apprentice's Sneak Attack) are doable.

Now that I think of it, Paladin/Monk with Novice's Suffering + FoD combo could be quite interesting with PoE. Also because Aegis of Loayality needs unarmed attacks in Deadfire(!).

If you are interested I could work out an unarmed monkish paladin, using my experience from playthroughs with unarmed barbarian, unarmed wizard and unarmed druid.

Edited by Boeroer, 27 January 2018 - 06:14 AM.

• Slack83er likes this

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

If you are interested I could work out an unarmed. monkish paladin, using my experience from playthroughs with unarmed barbarian, unarmed wizard and unarmed druid.

For the benefit of the whole community, please do! ;) I'm eager to play an "unconventional" MC.. the tankier, the better! ;)

Take your time, of course.. I appreciate your effort!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Well an unarmed paladin wouldn't be as tanky as one with a shield, but still tanky enough I guess.

But he will do better damage.

Maybe one could do a Kind Wayfarer - because he's so kind he uses only fists to strike down his opponents. ;)

Heal on FoD and on kill via Sword & Shepherd and Strange Mercy, Inspiring Triumph, Aegis of Loyalty... Behold the Martyr seems to be a must. ;)

A little Veteran's Recovery for balancing out the lower deflection because no shield...

What do you think?

Or a darker char like Bleak Walker with focus on max damage and fear?

Edited by Boeroer, 27 January 2018 - 06:10 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

I like it! The first one, I'm not able to play evil MCs, I'm too good hearted ;)

What race better suits this MC? What abilities should he have? 

Looking forward to testing it!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I would pick Mountain Dwarf because I like the idea of a short, burly paladin/mon who uses his fists.

The racial is pretty good against vessels and such.

But it doesn't matter that much.

The most powerful option would be Moon Godlike I guess.

This would complement the Kind Wayfarer's Healing capabilites quite well.

Stats:

MIG: 20

CON: 10

DEX: 10

PER: 10

INT: 18

RES: 08

Abilites/Talents would be:

- Novice's Suffering

- Weapon Focus Peasant

- Sword & Shepherd

- Two Weapon Style

- Strange Mercy

- Intense Flames

- Scion of Flame

- Fast Runner

- Flames of Devotion

- Lay on Hands

- Zealous Charge or Zealous Endurance

- Inspiring Triumph

- Aegis of Loyality

- Righteous Soul

- Sacred Immolation

- Behold the Martyr

Items:

- head: Hermit's Hat, Executioner's Hood (if not Moon Godlike of course)

- neck: Lost Periapt of the Winding Path

- amor: Raiment of Wael's Eyes, later Robes of the Tidebringer

- hands: Gauntlets of Swift Action or Mourning Gloves

- rings: Ring of Protection, Ring of Deflection

- belt: Looped Rope

- boots: Sandals of the Forgotten Friar

Something like that.

Edited by Boeroer, 27 January 2018 - 07:32 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
That's awesome! How could you end up with a character concept in so little time? Wow...
Now.. on to testing it I guess..
Will the bg I choose here have an impact on the sequel? Like... deadfire archipelago? :) must I give him lore and survival?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I would give him a bit of survival for DR+ and so on and also athletcis. Maybe some lore (max 8), too for the good defensive scrolls. Background doesn't matter that much, but Deadfire seems tempting. ;)

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Ok, going out to buy dinner...then coming back and testing it. Let you know how it fares, but I have little to no doubt it's gonna work!

Thanks for your input, as well as draego for your ranger and barbarian (they will be tested too).

As always, anyone feel free to add their ideas!

Edit: Moon GL is appealing... tons of healings for everyone...even though the typical monk mechanic doesn't work here... but nevertheless..very lore-friendly.

Edited by Slack83er, 27 January 2018 - 08:25 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
Just started today... but my daughter won't sleep and I must continue later. As soon as I manage to see how it fares I'll post some news. Stay tuned!

P.s. did ciphers in deadfire lose some appeal? Nobody recommended them to me, either ranged or melee.. I'd like to try them too..

Edited by Slack83er, 28 January 2018 - 06:42 AM.

oscer

oscer

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah you're right.. also thought of the monk.. taking punishment in order to make more damage.. just need to tankify him .. is it doable?

For sure monks are amazing and sturdy, if you tried out any of the solo-Monk builds you'd get really handy results with the monk with very little effort. It's naturally very tanky and putting in even 16 RES will do wonders for off-tanking while still keeping wounds high for Torments Reach.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The only cipher that's good in the beta is the Soulblade subclass. And only for multiclassing.

The Soulblade has a special attack called "Soul Annihilation" which transforms the current focus into a lot of melee raw damage. This cipher is good because he doesn't need to use actual cipher powers which are all crappy in the beta because they take forever to cast but the durations of the effects are very short.

Nice multiclass combos for Soulblade are Devoted(fighter)/Soulblade, Assassin(rogue)/Soulblade, Bleak Walker/Soulblade, Shattered Pillar(monk)/Soulblade and also Wizard/Soulblade (because Citzal's Spirit Lance with Soul Annihilation is totally bonkers).

So you could build a PoE melee cipher with Veteran's Recovery to emulate a Fighter/Cipher, with Apprentice's Sneak Attack and flanking bonuses to emulate Rogue/Cipher, Gallant's Focus to emulate Paladin/Cipher or Novice's Suffering to emulate Monk/Cipher. Fists are not too good with ciphers in PoE though, but they are viable. Also Wizard/Cipher emulation is kind of meh in PoE.

I personally would go the rogue route and make sure I stack a lot of flanking bonus via survival and item, use Apprentice's Sneak Attack and cause Flanked via Phantom Foes all the time. I played a melee cipher like this and the focus generation is pretty awesome that way. I used Firebrand as main weapon but this works with any melee weapon.

Edited by Boeroer, 28 January 2018 - 09:38 AM.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Ok, went up to Anslog's Compass (this should be the name in English).

Unless I wear a heavy armor, the paladin is extremely squishy, even in easy mode (I died couple of times to the mushrooms). Maybe it'll become sturdier later... but I prefer something a little more... straightforward than that. I have to try ranger and barbarian (with a slight preference for ranger). Any other suggestions? 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
If you have no shield and weapon & shield talent then every char is squishy in the early game except fighter because of Constant Recovery and high base deflection.

You can't just run into mobs all on your own like that. Especially not with ranger and barbarian. Both are even squishier than a paladin in the early game. Barb has extremely low deflection and ranger has very little endurance.

This gets better and better with every level though. Also Lay on Hands helps.

Also: Analog's Compass is kind of tough if you go there too early. The Xaurip Champions and Skirmishers are pretty strong and so are the ghuls and mushrooms.

If you want something that's easiest in the early game then use a fighter.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts
I did! :) mine was an Orlan, with high int and two handed weapon.. tidefall.

Are you sure a barbarian is squishy? I didn't quite realise this aspect... I kinda like unconventional characters.. would like to bring one of those in next chapter. I just don't like to "think" too much or handle micro intensive characters in the fray. Maybe the ranger, aided by the pet will do... but with some tweaks.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 10772 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Barbarians become sturdy meat shields over the course of a playthrough, but they start quite squishy because of their low deflection. The higher endurance is not that much of a difference in the early game but the gap gets bigger and bigger with each level until a barbarian can take a lot of hits. The good thing with barbarians is that they have tons of health - so healing their endurance over and over again works pretty well.

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

So to sum it up:

Fighter - Already done

Barbarian - High health, can become a tank?

Paladin - Quite good for all playthrough, how to make it unique? I'm not very sure about dwarf... maybe moon gl?

Ranger - You get a companion which does a ton damage under certain conditions, but quite squishy itself? He can play the "rogue" anyway, many roles for him.

Is it right? Did I forget something?

Melusina

Melusina

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Steam:Sorceress
  • Deadfire Backer

Also: Analog's Compass is kind of tough if you go there too early. The Xaurip Champions and Skirmishers are pretty strong and so are the ghuls and mushrooms.

And where should he go, then?

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Melusina, I'll admit that I did the tasks a bit on the quick side. I was eager to see 1) how it fared and 2) the new merchant in Anslog. (Unuseful unless you got cash...so better later on..) 

But tbh I was a bit spoiled by the fighter which proved tanky and quite fun in the interactions (due to the high int I gave him).

Now I'm trying to build something a little more "unique" than the classic fighter, to import in the new PoE2.

I'm debating with my own self whether to go pally or ranger or barbarian, and race for me DOES have an impact, because of lore.

I'm on to trying what Boeroer suggests me a few posts ago (the Monkadin ;) ) but I'll go moon GL. It's the apotheosys of healing, as far as I can tell.

Let you all know how it fares!

Slack83er

Slack83er

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 673 posts

Oook there's some change in how it fares now. Moon GL heals automatically, so it's kinda rare for him to suffer. What I'm noticing (and I ask to @boeroer) is.. he doesn't deal a lot of damage... 13-17 for now.. is it gonna increase in the future? Moreover I can't carry anything in the hands and head so I lose something in power... how to cope with that? 

Another question 'd be.. what armor to use? I started with a brigandine and didn't change it, but attacks slow down a bit..

Wait your input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users