Explanation about DLC or expansions please

Is difficult for devs to give us some light about DLCs at this moment?

I think one of them could have the courtesy of explain this.

Two things:

1) the game isn’t out yet. Why so interested in DLC for a game you don’t know you like and want more content for? Unless, you know you will like it and are interested in post release content, which means what it will be doesn’t really matter beyond curiosity.

2) they might have not decided yet what DLC will 100% look like. I imagine they have an idea, but is it set in stone? I don’t know. I expect majority of team is still focused on Deadfire. Maybe some team members (art, narrative) are laying groundwork and brainstorming for DLC. I doubt they have big enough team, for people to be done.

Announcing something, and then taking it back is bad. Better to stay silent until you have something concrete to announce. That’s why I am curious about the “after main game” claim. I don’t recall it and I am curious when it was said, and how it was worded(might listen to all the streams later to see if I can find it). It seems like a very specific claim to make, while all I remember was “we haven’t even thought about DLC yet” attitude during streams. After all, “early bird DLC” addon was brought thanks to popular demand, not Obsidian’s initiative.

As a side note - we assume a lot. We know there will be three pieces of DLC together worth $30. However, we don’t know anything about the nature or pricing of those. Will they be equal and same style of content (3x $10 story DLC)? Will they vary (meatier Expansion, portrait or item pack, Yidwim turned into full companion etc,)? I asked Josh on tumblr but I wouldn’t hold my breath for a reply.

Edited by Wormerine

Two things:

1) the game isn’t out yet. Why so interested in DLC for a game you don’t know you like and want more content for? Unless, you know you will like it and are interested in post release content, which means what it will be doesn’t really matter beyond curiosity.

2) they might have not decided yet what DLC will 100% look like. I imagine they have an idea, but is it set in stone? I don’t know. I expect majority of team is still focused on Deadfire. Maybe some team members (art, narrative) are laying groundwork and brainstorming for DLC. I doubt they have big enough team, for people to be done.

Announcing something, and then taking it back is bad. Better to stay silent until you have something concrete to announce. That’s why I am curious about the “after main game” claim. I don’t recall it and I am curious when it was said, and how it was worded(might listen to all the streams later to see if I can find it). It seems like a very specific claim to make, while all I remember was “we haven’t even thought about DLC yet” attitude during streams. After all, “early bird DLC” addon was brought thanks to popular demand, not Obsidian’s initiative.

As a side note - we assume a lot. We know there will be three pieces of DLC together worth $30. However, we don’t know anything about the nature or pricing of those. Will they be equal and same style of content (3x $10 story DLC)? Will they vary (meatier Expansion, portrait or item pack, Yidwim turned into full companion etc,)? I asked Josh on tumblr but I wouldn’t hold my breath for a reply.

As far as the stream it was near the end of the Fig campaign, maybe even on the last day (although I can't find any video of that to check).

As far as #1 I already know I am going to like the game. :grin: I liked the first one and will like the second one. I would also like any story DLC as long as it took place after the end of the main story. I didn't think about portraits or items when I was thinking about dlc, but I probably wouldn't use those (except in any story DLC or Pillars 3). I am going to play at or close to launch and even if I like a game, I usually only play it once. So, whatever is in the game at that time is what I will be playing, and I don't like having to go back and redo stuff. :p

• Like 1

I didn't think about portraits or items when I was thinking about dlc, but I probably wouldn't use those (except in any story DLC or Pillars 3). I am going to play at or close to launch and even if I like a game, I usually only play it once. So, whatever is in the game at that time is what I will be playing, and I don't like having to go back and redo stuff. :p

Yeah, it would be ideal for me either, though cosmetic DLC is something I am not against either. But as I was writing to Josh I realised we think of announced DLC in rather limited way - clearly expecting another White March. There are a lot of things they could do - two smaller dlc leading up to a bigger one. One small, to medium. One cosmetic, one companion expansion, one story pack. I would like the most to see 3part White March-like expansion, but at this point we just don’t know.

Thanks for the tip about streams. I have skimmed through couple streams yesterday on fastforward mod while playing overwatch yesterday. That should make it easier to locate it.

Is difficult for devs to give us some light about DLCs at this moment?

I think one of them could have the courtesy of explain this.

I´m interested because I always played IE games, Tyranny, PoE once. I don't like to replay them again. If I had known that WM was an ingame expansion, I only have played PoE until the finishing of first act and wait until the release of White March expansion.

Well. If you know a better place to ask devs this question, please ask it to them :biggrin:

Edited by juanval
  • Like 1

I´m interested because I always played IE games, Tyranny, PoE once. I don't like to replay them again. If I had known that WM was an ingame expansion, I only have played PoE until the finishing of first act and wait until the release of White March expansion.

Well. If you know a better place to ask devs this question, please ask it to them :biggrin:

Fair enough. Still, with White March, Obsidian made sure you can play it without repeating main campaign. Load pre-sun in Shadow DLC and you can treat White March as seperate campaign accessible via world map:-). Luckily for me I purchased PoE between release of WM1 and 2, so I was able to enjoy the “complete” experience on my first go.

I sent Josh a question via tumblr but no response. If they do a stream again, prodding them about it there might be the most effective way of squeezing something out.

How do you know?

Two reasons:

1. That was exactly how it was with White March.

2. Obsidian can't generate a key for an expansion that does not exist yet. They need to give a name to the expansion, pass through Steam QA (however shallow it is), create steam page for the expansion and then they can give out keys to people. 

But since Obsidian is still finishing up Deadfire and likely barely even started on the expansion(s), they can't do that.

You do realize there are keys available and dlc is announced and preorders are live?

And you get a copy for your fig purchase. DLC Addon is a seperate order, and key for that will probably be genereted closely to release.

I just redeemed my code on gog, and got a copy of Deadfire, which is seperate to other versions - in my case it's fig digital premium. That copy doesn't include DLC, but seperate addon will provide it in due time.

Multiple versions of the same game are always so confusing 8-I

• Like 1

I honestly just want all the eventual DLC to amount to what WM was content-wise, preferably as parts of a continuous story. Personal worst case scenario would be smallish unrelated adventures. Still, with Paradox not in the picture, perhaps we are going to be spared portrait packs...

• Like 1

I honestly just want all the eventual DLC to amount to what WM was content-wise, preferably as parts of a continuous story. Personal worst case scenario would be smallish unrelated adventures. Still, with Paradox not in the picture, perhaps we are going to be spared portrait packs...

The New Vegas DLCs were mostly unrelated stories, and they were really good. It's all about execution.