April 3rd release date; pre-orders open

Keep your fantasy world believable.

Isnt the definition of the word fantasy to attempt and/or create something that is impossible and/or unbelievable? (im sure its something along those lines). I mean its no longer a fantasy if it becomes believable, right?

Edited by Gary1986

Isnt the definition of the word fantasy to attempt and/or create something that is impossible and/or unbelievable? (im sure its something along those lines). I mean its no longer a fantasy if it becomes believable, right?

Fantasy, as if: supernatural, not set in real world, or containing elements to belonging to real world. It doesn't mean that it shouldn't be relatable or follow inner logic. 

• Like 3

Depends if by 'believable' you mean 'realistic' or more like 'verisimilar' and 'consistent with its own setting'. I think there are ways for fantasy to break suspension of disbelief, since even a fantasy setting works within a certain set of rules - thus there are events or occurences that are plausible within that setting which wouldn't be in ours, and likewise things that would be implausible in that fantasy setting as well (for example, in a setting that has previously determined that firearms did not exist it would be implausible for the villain to suddenly pull a gun out and shoot another character with it). That said, I'm not entirely sure how Tyranny's politics broke the fourth wall, or shatter the suspension of disbelief exactly. I thought they were on point for that particular setting and what was being told with that game.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think a lot of the Tyranny politics kind of fell apart if you chose the "good path" or chose to take the tiers for yourself, I remember a few times being absolutely baffled as to why my character would want to go back to Tunons court.

Ah, yeah. The “unification” path did require to make some dodgy choices. However, chaos and other paths work out pretty well.

• Like 1

I'd love to pre-order Deadfire. I loved Pillars 1 and really want to support Obsidian's work. Unfortunately the political messages in Tyranny have made me worry. Whether you agree or not, those messages are condescending and break suspension of disbelief. I'll make my decision once some trusted critics have had a look at the game. Do the right thing guys. Keep your fantasy world believable.

You know I played Tyranny and while it is far from perfect I have no idea what you are talking about. But at least you are willing to give it a chance and not demanding whatever your issue was be pandered to, by remaining vague. I hope you end up buying and enjoying Deadfire.

• Like 1

So is anyone else feeling as cynical that they've just chopped up parts of the game to re sell as DLC?

Seems standard practice nowadays.

Can't say that I do with what little info we have

Good point. I take back what I said now I've contemplated this further.

Pretty excited for the game to come out! For the first time in years.

• Like 1

nowt