April 3rd release date; pre-orders open

Also, some DLC info:

The standard edition of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire will cost $49.99, digital and physical retail, while the Deluxe Edition will be priced at $59.99. The Deluxe Edition will include the game’s official soundtrack composed by Justin Bell, composer of the soundtrack to the first Pillars of Eternity. Additionally, the Deluxe Edition includes: an in-game pet, a Deadfire themed special in-game item, a digital pen and paper RPG starter guide, a high-resolution game map, and Volume II of the digital guide book, published by Dark Horse.

The Obsidian Edition is priced at $74.99 for the digital version, and includes everything that comes in the Deluxe Edition as well as the first three DLC expansions for Pillars of Eternity II, which each cost $9.99 to purchase separately, although these will not be available for separate purchase until the game’s official launch.

The physical version of the Obsidian Edition will cost $79.99, and will include the same content as its digital cousin, but also additional, physical rewards: a cloth map of the Deadfire region, an Explorer’s notepad and a set of postcards that render the Deadfire Archipelago in beautiful detail.

https://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire-launch-date-announced-pre-orders-open

Alright, so there is Standard, Deluxe, and Obsidian.

I have "Premium" Digital + Pillars II DLC. I guess that means I have the Obsidian Package? This is going by the original backing schemes.

Or is Premium a back thing unto it's own? Because I thought that backers would have unique bonuses not in any of the release packages.

edit: I suppose I should ask this in the official announcement thread.

Edited by injurai

Anyone think it’s a little fast? Maybe I’m just a pessimest.

is pretty much exact according to schedule.  deadfire beta, which some folks were wondering why it were taking so long to be starting, were initiated almost the exact amount of time 'fore the scheduled target release o' poe. on schedule. poe had a longer beta than has deadfire, but such were 'cause o' a delay, a delay which, if poe patterns were maintained, woulda' already been announced. might still be cause for pessimism, depending on your personal bent, but for a more optimistic tilt, one should recognize how deadfire, at least from obsidian viewpoint, is going according to plan, and it seems to be following same patterns as did poe planned development. as such am maybe not party hat and h00kers optimistic, but am optimistic.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hope that the dlcs will add significant contents like the expansion in two parts of the original title.

Yeah. I'm not crazy about 3 smaller 10 dollar expansions. The rather large expansions with alot of great content were one of the very best parts of the first one.

• Like 3

Hope that the dlcs will add significant contents like the expansion in two parts of the original title.

Yeah. I'm not crazy about 3 smaller 10 dollar expansions. The rather large expansions with alot of great content were one of the very best parts of the first one.

I concur, but am not pessimistic at the moment even with my preference. Deadfire is a land of sea, isthmus, archipelago, and Isles. For what it's worth, it seems rather more geared towards incorporating slightly smaller units of content. It's not like the expansions where all just monoliths of content either, they had a progression of zones, with different sections to their story. Having additional content divided into 3 segments seems fine by me.

Edited by injurai
  • Like 2

As a pretty avid Greenman Gaming customer, I subscribe to their newsletter.

And as soon as Obsidian pressed their release date buttons, I got the following GMG news via email:

A huge Obsidian splash with plenty of exciting pics, and 20% discount voucher. Nice to see that the PR machine's working.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I concur, but am not pessimistic at the moment even with my preference. Deadfire is a land of sea, isthmus, archipelago, and Isles. For what it's worth, it seems rather more geared towards incorporating slightly smaller units of content. It's not like the expansions where all just monoliths of content either, they had a progression of zones, with different sections to their story. Having additional content divided into 3 segments seems fine by me.

From reddit

ObsidianEric

We did a DLC survey a while back that made it clear that our audience wants robust, content-based DLC. We have taken that into account as we begin to think about what we want to add to the game when we're done making it.

Edited by Daled
  • Like 2

From reddit

ObsidianEric

We did a DLC survey a while back that made it clear that our audience wants robust, content-based DLC. We have taken that into account as we begin to think about what we want to add to the game when we're done making it.

:dancing:

That means 1 more beta update tops?

it's... seems like not much. There is still much stuff they said they want to test and didn't make into the beta yet.

This is worrisome.

Have gun will travel.

That means 1 more beta update tops?

it's... seems like not much. There is still much stuff they said they want to test and didn't make into the beta yet.

This is worrisome.

Is it? I would think that the beta would be a different build of the game. I suppose it depends on how trivial it is to push those changes to the beta.

• Like 1

Is it? I would think that the beta would be a different build of the game. I suppose it depends on how trivial it is to push those changes to the beta.

It is. In one of the last streams Josh said that backer beta is couple builds behind dev build. I am not necessarly worried that they will lack time, but that they haven't yet shared with plenty of features they stated they wanted to test. Which means either they feel very confident about them and don't want to spoil them or... actually i have no idea what that could mean. Maybe beta is just for fans to feel important, while they do their own thing anyway:-D

• Like 2

They definitely used the beta for feedback. I wouldn't be surprised if they have tweaked some of their systems. It's also not like they can't balance overlooked or outstanding issues post-launch either. In fact sometimes for someone's complaint to really become an apparent issue, they need more hands on the game. Which the launch will do. It's about being confident that a change needs to be made.

As long as Obsidian is willing to keep an eye on things, and open to making changes they feel sensible then I'm happy. I'm less concerned that some forumite get's their way, and more that Obsidian is putting in the effort to do what they feel is best.

• Like 5

I wonder why it hasn't been picked up by the gaming sites yet. I fully expected a trailer for this, something shiny and presentable for an article. Surely there is more to come soon. If it's only two months to go you really got to kickstart the marketing.

As for the beta, QA testers have been running before and will run after. Remember the backer beta was a crowdfunding incentive. Singleplayer games don't usually have big, semi-public betas.

I wonder why it hasn't been picked up by the gaming sites yet. I fully expected a trailer for this, something shiny and presentable for an article. Surely there is more to come soon. If it's only two months to go you really got to kickstart the marketing.

As for the beta, QA testers have been running before and will run after. Remember the backer beta was a crowdfunding incentive. Singleplayer games don't usually have big, semi-public betas.

Pc gamer has an article

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.