Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Launch Date For Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced, Pre-Orders Now Live!

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
The Beta is buggy and unbalanced? What is this, amateur hour? It's like it's some unfinished not ready for release version or something...
  • omgFIREBALLS and Wormerine like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11789 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's why it's called "beta" I guess?

• ShadySands and Heijoushin like this

clouseau64

clouseau64

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's why it's called "beta" I guess?

yep. but poe2 is the sequel of one the best game of all time with exceptionnal game mechanics ( even if sometimes a bit obscure without the dedication of a couple of hardcore gamers like you). POE1 is the beta of poe2, i suspect POE2 beta shall be the gamma.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11789 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.
  • Fluffle, Sedrefilos, Tanos and 3 others like this

KDubya

KDubya

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1531 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.

I'm with you on that.

I just hope it doesn't end up like Dragon Age, Origins was a great game with good mechanics and then DA2 was changed to ...... something else :( 

Casper

Casper

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm with you on that.

I just hope it doesn't end up like Dragon Age, Origins was a great game with good mechanics and then DA2 was changed to ...... something else :(

i too liked DA:O's gameplay, and the change in DA2's was unexpected and a bit jarring at first... however, i actually enjoyed the new gameplay, even if the parachuting enemies was a tad annoying.

---edit

though i'm not saying i prefer DA2's gameplay to DA:O's, i like them both, and don't think i could choose between them... then again, i do miss those animated kills in DA:O.

Edited by Casper, 29 January 2018 - 09:24 PM.

• Witkh13 and daven like this

Frog Man

Frog Man

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

sorry to spoil the party but i don't share the general enthousiasm triggered by this earlier than expected launch.

You got me worried Obsidian!
After getting me thrilled and raising my expectation through great community management and active communication you released what i consider an underwhelming backer beta, with significant balance issue, a few flawed new concepts ( interruption, penetration to name a few) and broken vancian caster.
A quick reactive patch got my hopes rising again only to be doused again when i find out that the main flaws were barely addressed.
Feedback and communication to community have gone dark for almost a month, with absolutely no signs that the healthy pool of suggestion was even remotely considered. interest to test new builds and ideas is at a standstill!

And now this. an early launch barely 2 month from now?
Do you have secret workforce working night and day to deliver that feat or do you lots of cool stuff already developped and that you witheld from us in the beta? Based on what i have seen in the last month with no build release nor feedback , i have serious doubts now.

Don't go "tyranny" on us again ( an amazingly innovative system and story telling spoiled by poor realisation and balancing). Don't do what larian did by realising an half backed version living up to a mere fraction of its amazing potential (where the majority of the fan base is shelving the game waiting for a enhanced edition).

POE2 needs to be released as it shall be the final polished version and improvement of one of the now legendary POE1. You have the time, your credit with the community is immense. i would back anything you launch based on your spotless reputation and i think many would do the same. Do not spoil that. Please pretty please.

You didn’t spoil the party. You are entitled to your opinion and me to mine. I’m thrilled with the release date and believe that Obsidian has earned my trust with the incredibly high quality of their games, which is why I preordered the first day it was available!
  • Witkh13 and draego like this

Nanawatzin

Nanawatzin

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Steam:Nanawatzin
  • Deadfire Backer

My friend asked me to ask here - she's not able to find an option to pre-order physicall box of Deadfire in any of Polish shops and sites. Is there going to be a possibility for that or is she going to be forced to buy it by American sites/shops? :3

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4850 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think your best bet is to contact the physical edition's distributor, THQ Nordic.

They are headquartered in Europe, by the way, so I don't think your friend we'll have to buy from the U.S. ;)

• Witkh13 and Nanawatzin like this

Nanawatzin

Nanawatzin

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Steam:Nanawatzin
  • Deadfire Backer

Thank you for the info. I've e-mailed them yesterday and hope that they will at least answer. ^^'

• Witkh13 likes this

BrightStarFire

BrightStarFire

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

Question?  If pre-ordered from steam is there a way to still participate in the beta?

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just redeemed my Deadfire key at GOG :dancing:

• Witkh13 likes this

Daled

Daled

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Question?  If pre-ordered from steam is there a way to still participate in the beta?

I don't think you can.

Take a look here, where another user asked the same question https://forums.obsid...ering-on-steam/

Edited by Daled, 12 February 2018 - 09:24 AM.

Blutwurstritter

Blutwurstritter

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will there be a day one patch and if yes how large will it be ?

• injurai and omgFIREBALLS like this

rheingold

rheingold

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1051 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Must say I am battling to find much enthusiasm for Deadfire, mainly because of all the time and hard work that went into the Pillars system which has been thrown out. I was really hoping they would use it as a base and make changes, not chuck the baby, bathtub, water, towel and nappies out..

• Fluffle and Boeroer like this

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Must say I am battling to find much enthusiasm for Deadfire, mainly because of all the time and hard work that went into the Pillars system which has been thrown out. I was really hoping they would use it as a base and make changes, not chuck the baby, bathtub, water, towel and nappies out..

Hey you guys,

just letting you know I'm sharing your opinion. I would have preferred too, if they hadn't tried to invent the wheel anew mechanic-wise. They should have just polished the mechanics from the first game and concentrated instead on the story, setting, atmosphere, characters and quest design.

It took a long time until they reached Pillars version 3.0+. I fear it will take a long long time after the release of Deadfire until we will have an equally polished version of Deadfire.

So I would actually not play Deadfire at release. I would actually wait probably a year or even more until the bugs would be squashed and the mechanics would be polished enough. But you know, there this one thing... This one thing that really gets me excited and that will make me play Deadfire 2 at release - no matter how unpolished or bugged the game might be at that time.

Spoiler

• CottonWolf, illathid, Sedrefilos and 8 others like this

Witkh13

Witkh13

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Steam:Angel99323
  • PSN Portable ID:Witkh13
  • Xbox Gamertag:Angel99323
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Will those who used the [Backer Beta] [GoG/Steam] key, will there be a second key for us to enter?  or will the earlier key be transformed into the game key?

Why a couple people choose to think a Q2 2018 release date for a game estimated for Q1 2018 is beyond the understanding of mine.  Obsidian Entertainment has been very good about the quality of their games at release, think do I.  There were some minor bugs with PoE's release but they were far from game breaking.  So why the lack of faith?

PoE2's Backer Beta release build was intentionally designed using PoE2's new engine but with content separate from what they intend to release.  So the fact that the Backer Beta build has problems fails to even be relevant to estimating a release date.  The fact that they released the build in December 2018, and have now announced an April 3rd release, suggests that they are fixing whatever bugs that were found.

Reason and logic suggest that the only cause for alarm would be if they had released the backer beta build a "month" prior to their release date.  As it takes about a month for them to have all the physical copies of the game made.

Gosh I hope it's not too early... Beta was raw, very raw...

Well - they have had time - I'm presuming that they started some time back - possibly during White March development (way before Fig backing started) - after all they must have had loads of people sitting doing nothing in the office :) I am a bit worried that's it too early even so - they have been very ambitious and made loads of changes to the game. I would just want Deadfire to release in the same state as Pillars. (Pillars was not perfect and they made many changes to it over the patching schedule, but it was very playable.)

Gosh I hope it's not too early... Beta was raw, very raw...

I'd say it still is very raw. 

Based on Pillars of Eternity experience, the answer is that you will be given a game key via your "My Product" page of your account at https://eternity.obsidian.net or your FIG account.  The keys for the DLC's will be given as the respective DLC is 'released'.

what if I made an investment in the FIG and I'll buy pre-order now?
Sorry, I'm russian and my English is very bad :(

Based on personal experience with the Shadowrun games. that is a horrid practice that I would have refused to be a "backer" on.  Yes Dragon Age 2's departure from D.A. :o.'s engine was a mistake, agree do I.  However, Obsidian has shown via their Backer Updates that they can use an updated version of the original engine and still essentially retain the same "feel", believe do I.

Economic results of the Shadowrun games have also shown that your 'idea' also earns inferior profits when compared to other franchises that use updated engines in new games.  Profits are essential if you want "more" content and more games in a franchise.  The lack thereof probably contributed a lot to that one guy switching to development of CD Projekt Red's new Cyberpunk game.

I'm with you on that.

Hey you guys,

just letting you know I'm sharing your opinion. I would have preferred too, if they hadn't tried to invent the wheel anew mechanic-wise. They should have just polished the mechanics from the first game and concentrated instead on the story, setting, atmosphere, characters and quest design.

It took a long time until they reached Pillars version 3.0+. I fear it will take a long long time after the release of Deadfire until we will have an equally polished version of Deadfire.

So I would actually not play Deadfire at release. I would actually wait probably a year or even more until the bugs would be squashed and the mechanics would be polished enough. But you know, there this one thing... This one thing that really gets me excited and that will make me play Deadfire 2 at release - no matter how unpolished or bugged the game might be at that time.

Spoiler

Agree do I;  Based on experience with Pillars of Eternity, the game will be abundantly "playable" on release... even if there are a few minor bugs.

Simply save often and keep older saves at certain points in the story.  Such as a save or two during PoE's act 1, then another one or two in act 2.

Edited by Witkh13, 14 February 2018 - 08:16 PM.

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1587 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Will those who used the [Backer Beta] [GoG/Steam] key, will there be a second key for us to enter?  or will the earlier key be transformed into the game key?

Separate key - you should be able to redeem it now on the backer portal

Edited by Silent Winter, 16 February 2018 - 06:13 PM.

Dimoroc

Dimoroc

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Are Early access + Credits backers getting the Obsidian Edition of the game on steam?

Thanks.

Fluffle

Fluffle

Fluffy Marshmallow of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hey guys,

I'm a bit inexperienced with redeeming the keys.

I was wondering this: I can already generate STEAM or GOG keys on my backer portal. The question is, what if I use those keys then on Steam and GOG?

I mean, the game has not been released yet. How do Steam and GOG handle that if you try to redeem a code for a game that has not been released yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users