Launch Date For Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced, Pre-Orders Now Live!

Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.

Must say I am battling to find much enthusiasm for Deadfire, mainly because of all the time and hard work that went into the Pillars system which has been thrown out. I was really hoping they would use it as a base and make changes, not chuck the baby, bathtub, water, towel and nappies out..

Hey you guys,

just letting you know I'm sharing your opinion. I would have preferred too, if they hadn't tried to invent the wheel anew mechanic-wise. They should have just polished the mechanics from the first game and concentrated instead on the story, setting, atmosphere, characters and quest design.

It took a long time until they reached Pillars version 3.0+. I fear it will take a long long time after the release of Deadfire until we will have an equally polished version of Deadfire.

So I would actually not play Deadfire at release. I would actually wait probably a year or even more until the bugs would be squashed and the mechanics would be polished enough. But you know, there this one thing... This one thing that really gets me excited and that will make me play Deadfire 2 at release - no matter how unpolished or bugged the game might be at that time.

Brace yourself, The Black Isle Bastards are coming... :skull:

• Like 11

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Will those who used the [backer Beta] [GoG/Steam] key, will there be a second key for us to enter?  or will the earlier key be transformed into the game key?

Why a couple people choose to think a Q2 2018 release date for a game estimated for Q1 2018 is beyond the understanding of mine.  Obsidian Entertainment has been very good about the quality of their games at release, think do I.  There were some minor bugs with PoE's release but they were far from game breaking.  So why the lack of faith?

PoE2's Backer Beta release build was intentionally designed using PoE2's new engine but with content separate from what they intend to release.  So the fact that the Backer Beta build has problems fails to even be relevant to estimating a release date.  The fact that they released the build in December 2018, and have now announced an April 3rd release, suggests that they are fixing whatever bugs that were found.

Reason and logic suggest that the only cause for alarm would be if they had released the backer beta build a "month" prior to their release date.  As it takes about a month for them to have all the physical copies of the game made.

Gosh I hope it's not too early... Beta was raw, very raw...

Well - they have had time - I'm presuming that they started some time back - possibly during White March development (way before Fig backing started) - after all they must have had loads of people sitting doing nothing in the office :) I am a bit worried that's it too early even so - they have been very ambitious and made loads of changes to the game. I would just want Deadfire to release in the same state as Pillars. (Pillars was not perfect and they made many changes to it over the patching schedule, but it was very playable.)

Gosh I hope it's not too early... Beta was raw, very raw...

I'd say it still is very raw. 

Based on Pillars of Eternity experience, the answer is that you will be given a game key via your "My Product" page of your account at https://eternity.obsidian.net or your FIG account.  The keys for the DLC's will be given as the respective DLC is 'released'.

what if I made an investment in the FIG and I'll buy pre-order now?
Sorry, I'm russian and my English is very bad :(

Based on personal experience with the Shadowrun games. that is a horrid practice that I would have refused to be a "backer" on.  Yes Dragon Age 2's departure from D.A. :o.'s engine was a mistake, agree do I.  However, Obsidian has shown via their Backer Updates that they can use an updated version of the original engine and still essentially retain the same "feel", believe do I.

Economic results of the Shadowrun games have also shown that your 'idea' also earns inferior profits when compared to other franchises that use updated engines in new games.  Profits are essential if you want "more" content and more games in a franchise.  The lack thereof probably contributed a lot to that one guy switching to development of CD Projekt Red's new Cyberpunk game.

Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.

I'm with you on that.

I just hope it doesn't end up like Dragon Age, Origins was a great game with good mechanics and then DA2 was changed to ...... something else :(

Must say I am battling to find much enthusiasm for Deadfire, mainly because of all the time and hard work that went into the Pillars system which has been thrown out. I was really hoping they would use it as a base and make changes, not chuck the baby, bathtub, water, towel and nappies out..

Hey you guys,

just letting you know I'm sharing your opinion. I would have preferred too, if they hadn't tried to invent the wheel anew mechanic-wise. They should have just polished the mechanics from the first game and concentrated instead on the story, setting, atmosphere, characters and quest design.

It took a long time until they reached Pillars version 3.0+. I fear it will take a long long time after the release of Deadfire until we will have an equally polished version of Deadfire.

So I would actually not play Deadfire at release. I would actually wait probably a year or even more until the bugs would be squashed and the mechanics would be polished enough. But you know, there this one thing... This one thing that really gets me excited and that will make me play Deadfire 2 at release - no matter how unpolished or bugged the game might be at that time.

Brace yourself, The Black Isle Bastards are coming... :skull:

Agree do I;  Based on experience with Pillars of Eternity, the game will be abundantly "playable" on release... even if there are a few minor bugs.

Simply save often and keep older saves at certain points in the story.  Such as a save or two during PoE's act 1, then another one or two in act 2.

Edited by Witkh13

Will those who used the [backer Beta] [GoG/Steam] key, will there be a second key for us to enter?  or will the earlier key be transformed into the game key?

Separate key - you should be able to redeem it now on the backer portal

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm a bit inexperienced with redeeming the keys.

I was wondering this: I can already generate STEAM or GOG keys on my backer portal. The question is, what if I use those keys then on Steam and GOG?

I mean, the game has not been released yet. How do Steam and GOG handle that if you try to redeem a code for a game that has not been released yet?

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

Hey guys,

I was wondering this: I can already generate STEAM or GOG keys on my backer portal. The question is, what if I use those keys then on Steam and GOG?

I mean, the game has not been released yet. How do Steam and GOG handle that if you try to redeem a code for a game that has not been released yet?

At least with Steam, it'll just download the game when it's released if you use the key now. (In fact, it will generally pre-load it so you can play it the moment unlocks.)

• Like 1

Hey guys,

On Steam it'll add Deadfire to your library, but you won't be able to install it until release (or possibly preinstall it if that option is available).

I can't speak for GOG but I'd imagine they have something similar.

• Like 1

Okay thanks guys! Now I'm especially interested in how GOG handles this ;)

You can redeem the code you get from Obsidian on either the GOG website or in their Galaxy client. In either case the redeemed game is added to your library - you will have to wait for it to be released before you can begin the installation (I cannot remember GOG doing pre-installs).

GOG also has an infrastructure for pre-orders (you can, for example, preorder Deadfire), so redeeming your key before the game is released is really a non-issue.

• Like 1

Earlier than expected, how much will performance be improved from the current beta build? And is more voice acting coming in for quest NPCs?

8600K @ 5GHz, GTX 1080 OC, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, SSD, Windows 10 Pro

Earlier than expected, how much will performance be improved from the current beta build? And is more voice acting coming in for quest NPCs?

How could we possibly know any of this stuff? No one here played 1.0.

1) It has been claimed that Deadfire will run more or less like PoE1. Whenever they will reach this goal remains to be seen. On steam and gog Specs are copied from PoE but they are placeholder and are a subject to change. Beta is a seperate build so it’s not representative of the current, or future state of the game. Optimisation is one of the last things to do in development. In other words: We won’t know how it runs until game releases or reviews come out. There are multiple promises by Josh that it will run much better.

Deadfire has double the VO budget of PoE1. How it translates to the game we don’t know. The next update is about audio so maybe we will learn something more.

Okay thanks guys! Now I'm especially interested in how GOG handles this ;)

Similar to steam. You redeem your key in the galaxy client or in the web browser (I would recommend using galaxy just for easier game updates in the future) and the game will show up in your library. As it is not out yet, the “instal” button is grayed out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cool with that postponement. Reading the backer beta forums etc., I think more time for balancing and bug-fixing will benefit all of us on release.

All you have to do is pray to Eothas for a May 8th release date :)

1527234074-capture-d-ecran-2018-05-25-a-

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, so asking this here as well, since I haven't found a definitive answer elsewhere. 

If I buy the pre-order now, but was NOT a Fig backer, will I still get access to the beta? DoS 2 did that, not sure if POE 2 will do the same.

Would really like to check out the character creation, but don't want to spend the money right now if I effectively will gain 0 access until May 8th (and won't be complaining about that, but there just isn't a point of buying it now if I can't do anything until the 8th of May).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never mind.  Found the answer here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94318-welcome-to-the-deadfire-backer-beta/page-6

Looks like no character creation for me :(  Sad panda.

Edited by Michael_Galt

"1 is 1"

Hello, so asking this here as well, since I haven't found a definitive answer elsewhere. 

If I buy the pre-order now, but was NOT a Fig backer, will I still get access to the beta? DoS 2 did that, not sure if POE 2 will do the same.

Would really like to check out the character creation, but don't want to spend the money right now if I effectively will gain 0 access until May 8th (and won't be complaining about that, but there just isn't a point of buying it now if I can't do anything until the 8th of May).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never mind.  Found the answer here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/94318-welcome-to-the-deadfire-backer-beta/page-6

Looks like no character creation for me :(  Sad panda.

No, backers had to pledge the extra value with the beta access code. I'm not entirely sure but if you can still access the obsidian product pages if you pre-order from their site, you might still be able to purchase the beta access code with additional value.

EDIT: Sorry, I saw that he found the answer too late. Was trying to delete my post but was unable to find a way to do it myself.

Edited by Silvestre

4 weeks from now the game will be released. Not a great deal to spend 20$ for 4 weeks of a limited beta experience. The beta of Deadfire is only a very small portion of the full game, unlike other betas where you can see the whole game.

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, I finally went back and finished my 2nd playthrough of PoE, due to lack of any other games to play.  My first playthrough, didn't have the White March expansions.  Was hesitant to back PoE 2, because I quite frankly didn't love PoE when I first played it. 

Still don't put it in my top 10, but it really looks like PoE 2 is going to better deliver on being a true spiritual successor to BG.  Looks like the setting is less grimdark, and more "fun".  A mix of locales and environments.  More party banter and inter-reactivity.  Finishing my 2nd playthrough of PoE over the weekend, I kept thinking about how my companions really didn't banter and didn't have much to say after getting to the White March.  In BG2 especially (and Kotor 2), loved the interparty banter.  I genuinely cared for my companions.  With PoE... meh.  I literally picked the companions which irritated me the least and that I found tolerable and balanced out my party well.  Had a love-hate relationship with Durance.  If it was reality, probably would have killed him, because he is just too fanatical and dangerous, and clearly disposed to doing all sorts of heinous things if he thinks it is necessary... or even maybe just because he thinks it might make Magran happy :/ 

I like the idea of how multi-classing will be handled.  That's the only reason I wish I could get access to the beta. To give a few short trial runs to see whether I want to continue as a single class ranger, or do a multiclass ranger cipher, like I'm thinking.  Plus, I want to see what my stats would look like as a ranger/cipher.  It looks like it will be a good build, that even makes sense.  I basically envision him as a mage hunter.  He uses his cipher abilities to augment his tracking and the abilities of his animal companion.  He primarily relies on his animal companion and psionic abilities to take down enemies. When things start to get hairy (or his animal companion has engaged his prey), he pulls his ace out of the hole, and unleashes a timely psionic attack that he has been building up for this precise moment.  He isn't about rough, sloppy fighting, but prefers to take down his enemies from a safe distance, but is completely willing to get close and carefully deliver some well placed stabs with his rapier and stiletto if necessary. 

Guess I'll find out May 8th ;)  Watched a few videos on YouTube, and it looks pretty cool.  Wish we would be starting at level 4-5, not back at 1... but if the max level is really 20, then that means that at least we should be seeing some really new abilities.  The rebalancing looks pretty great.  Happy we returned to "normal" RPG attributes which are easier to understand and conceptualize.  One more month...

"1 is 1"

Happy we returned to "normal" RPG attributes which are easier to understand and conceptualize.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Might is back in the latest beta - and it seems to be here to stay.

Haha.  Of course it is.  That's fine.  I understand how to use the PoE stats now... but I really don't see why they felt the need to completely redesign the wheel.  When 90% of cRPGs use a set of attributes that are easy to understand, why make up entirely new ones? Still waiting for the Kickstarter or Fig for Arcanum 2... I would literally pay $200 for that.  Maybe even $300... THAT was an example of attributes done correctly. 

• Like 1

"1 is 1"

Hi everybody,

So only one month left already ! NOt sure to be able to play right on release date :- But can't wait !

Has anybody got some info on the backer physical goods delivery ? (collector stuff and other goodies) No info about ETA in Obsidian post :getlost:

Thanks !

Edited by Bwe

I'm cool with that postponement. Reading the backer beta forums etc., I think more time for balancing and bug-fixing will benefit all of us on release.

So do I, I remember a lot of changes on PoE I after release on balance, UI, and general gameplay. Personally I think that was necessary.