Launch Date For Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced, Pre-Orders Now Live!

sorry to spoil the party but i don't share the general enthousiasm triggered by this earlier than expected launch.

why do people keep repeating this? when deadfire were first announced, Q1 o' 2018 were the estimate from obsidian for release.  well, guess what? Q1 ends march 31, 2018.  games is almost always released on tuesdays, so for Gromnir a smart-money bet for deadfire release, previous to actual release announcement, woulda' been march 20, 27 or april 3, 2018. release is only unexpected early if you were expecting a delay, and a delay became increasing unlikely as we got closer to the target release threshold w/o an announcement of delay.  as such, april 3 is not earlier than reasonable expectations.

now perhaps you got insider info which suggests the development is in disarray and the only reason obsidian is sticking so close to Q1 release is the developer needs immediate money.  we personal got no such info. perhaps you look at beta condition and wonder how a release date of april 3 is possible. 

*shrug*

regardless, given the initial target for release and the absence o' a delay announcement, the actual release date obsidan has announced is exact what Gromnir woulda' guessed... which is the only real unexpectedness. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

April is later than I initially was expecting. I was thinking it'd be middle of March.

Also realize that:

a.) All the engine work / Production pipelining got resolved on Pillars 1.

b.) Design docs, lore etc. are carrying over.

c.) Deadfire had about a year and 4 months of work put into it before the Fig kickstarter.

d.) Aside from Obsidian's own contributions, it raised a comparable amount in crowd funding.

e.) They always placed the release in Q1 2018.

sorry to spoil the party but i don't share the general enthousiasm triggered by this earlier than expected launch.

why do people keep repeating this? when deadfire were first announced, Q1 o' 2018 were the estimate from obsidian for release.  well, guess what? Q1 ends march 31, 2018.  games is almost always released on tuesdays, so for Gromnir a smart-money bet for deadfire release, previous to actual release announcement, woulda' been march 20, 27 or april 3, 2018. release is only unexpected early if you were expecting a delay, and a delay became increasing unlikely as we got closer to the target release threshold w/o an announcement of delay.  as such, april 3 is not earlier than reasonable expectations.

now perhaps you got insider info which suggests the development is in disarray and the only reason obsidian is sticking so close to Q1 release is the developer needs immediate money.  we personal got no such info. perhaps you look at beta condition and wonder how a release date of april 3 is possible. 

*shrug*

regardless, given the initial target for release and the absence o' a delay announcement, the actual release date obsidan has announced is exact what Gromnir woulda' guessed... which is the only real unexpectedness. 

HA! Good Fun!

you make some fair points.

i have no specific info, but backer beta is very underwhelming and since xmas obsidian communication has gone awol and there are no patch release. 2 month indeed look tight.

i hope my fears are mistaken and proven wrong.

1 month of no communication is hardly AWOL. They're busy.

But I see where you're coming from, the latest beta version is still overflowing with bugs.

Still, some time has passed since that version was released. And hopefully the last 2 months will be spent exclusively on squashing bugs. So while I don't think it will be Blizzard level quality, it shouldn't be a train-wreck.

Isn’t the backer beta 2 builds behind their current dev build? Wouldn’t it be safe to say they HAVE been working on finishing off those bug fixes for a while now?

You bet! Even if they release a new beta build for us, they would still be ahead of that one.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Good to know then. I will end up playing this game a bajillion times for sure with all of the class combos. April can’t come soon enough.

Almost forgot...

Dear Devs, please add Beer to one of the deities’ portfolios so I can actually make a decision on what deity to pick for my Priest/???? PC on my first play through. Thanks!

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Dear Devs, please add Beer to one of the deities’ portfolios so I can actually make a decision on what deity to pick for my Priest/???? PC on my first play through. Thanks!

Magran. Beer to celebrate winning a war, beer to forget about losing a war, and beer to do something stupid and start a war.

• Like 4

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

That's why it's called "beta" I guess?

yep. but poe2 is the sequel of one the best game of all time with exceptionnal game mechanics ( even if sometimes a bit obscure without the dedication of a couple of hardcore gamers like you). POE1 is the beta of poe2, i suspect POE2 beta shall be the gamma.

Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.

• Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Unfortunately they changed the whole system, so your theory doesn't apply to 100%. :)

I would have liked it better if they had just improved their old mechanics and concentrated on story, characters and nice quests and items. But here we are with new mechanics and balancing issues and bugs and all.

I'm with you on that.

I just hope it doesn't end up like Dragon Age, Origins was a great game with good mechanics and then DA2 was changed to ...... something else :( 

I'm with you on that.

I just hope it doesn't end up like Dragon Age, Origins was a great game with good mechanics and then DA2 was changed to ...... something else :(

i too liked DA:O's gameplay, and the change in DA2's was unexpected and a bit jarring at first... however, i actually enjoyed the new gameplay, even if the parachuting enemies was a tad annoying.

---edit

though i'm not saying i prefer DA2's gameplay to DA:O's, i like them both, and don't think i could choose between them... then again, i do miss those animated kills in DA:O.

Edited by Casper
  • Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

You got me worried Obsidian!

After getting me thrilled and raising my expectation through great community management and active communication you released what i consider an underwhelming backer beta, with significant balance issue, a few flawed new concepts ( interruption, penetration to name a few) and broken vancian caster.

A quick reactive patch got my hopes rising again only to be doused again when i find out that the main flaws were barely addressed.

Feedback and communication to community have gone dark for almost a month, with absolutely no signs that the healthy pool of suggestion was even remotely considered. interest to test new builds and ideas is at a standstill!

And now this. an early launch barely 2 month from now?

Do you have secret workforce working night and day to deliver that feat or do you lots of cool stuff already developped and that you witheld from us in the beta? Based on what i have seen in the last month with no build release nor feedback , i have serious doubts now.

Don't go "tyranny" on us again ( an amazingly innovative system and story telling spoiled by poor realisation and balancing). Don't do what larian did by realising an half backed version living up to a mere fraction of its amazing potential (where the majority of the fan base is shelving the game waiting for a enhanced edition).

POE2 needs to be released as it shall be the final polished version and improvement of one of the now legendary POE1. You have the time, your credit with the community is immense. i would back anything you launch based on your spotless reputation and i think many would do the same. Do not spoil that. Please pretty please.

You didn’t spoil the party. You are entitled to your opinion and me to mine. I’m thrilled with the release date and believe that Obsidian has earned my trust with the incredibly high quality of their games, which is why I preordered the first day it was available!

• Like 2

My friend asked me to ask here - she's not able to find an option to pre-order physicall box of Deadfire in any of Polish shops and sites. Is there going to be a possibility for that or is she going to be forced to buy it by American sites/shops? :3

I think your best bet is to contact the physical edition's distributor, THQ Nordic.

They are headquartered in Europe, by the way, so I don't think your friend we'll have to buy from the U.S. ;)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Must say I am battling to find much enthusiasm for Deadfire, mainly because of all the time and hard work that went into the Pillars system which has been thrown out. I was really hoping they would use it as a base and make changes, not chuck the baby, bathtub, water, towel and nappies out..

• Like 2

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light