The Deadfire Scavenger Codes - WE FOUND THEM ALL - Cutthroat Cosmo! - Bonus Pets!

Perhaps they expected us to figure out what was going on relatively soon, and the fact that we haven't is throwing them off completely.

I was willing to consider that right up until the end of update 45
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I've been looking at this from another angle. Could it be possible that we have to mix and combine the codes somehow to get some message?

E.g BtF6nWw6Pd2u is one result? Or what if it would be something like BtF 6nWw6Pd2u? 2 words that are formed but you just need to find the structure?

For instance, there is only one place you can spell out OBSIDIAN (example) amongst the code (with unique letters, I also tried KFK and MaM).

dGvCoC6e
OBSIDIAN

This is by combining/cutting/mixing XQrdGv and CoC6eF.

For example, in a Hangman scenario it could look something like this:

BtF6nWw6Pd2uSHbEXBc Ce dpo8twCgwBMahh7KFK5LjRMaM4AXQr dGvCoC6e FDeYvu8HTEPbK25PwqvVMTjAbyJ3BqA
---A---A-O-----N--I IN O-----IB---------------------- OBSIDIAN -ON-S----N--------SS---------B-

If you look hard enough I bet you could use this method to find "Pillars of Eternity" or "Deadfire" in there somewhere (take away OBSIDIAN first, because "Pillars Of Eternity" and "Obsidian" doesn't work).

EDIT: Maybe not xD
BtF6nWw6Pd2uSHbEXBcCedpo8twCgwBMahh7KFK5LjRMaM4AXQrdGvCoC6eFDeYvu8HTEPbK25PwqvVMTjAbyJ3BqA
---PILLA--------PILLARSOFETE---PILLARSO------------------------------------PILLARSOFET----

Edited by Osvir

If you look hard enough I bet you could use this method to find "Pillars of Eternity" or "Deadfire" in there somewhere.[/size][/font]

This thread is quickly becoming a Skinner Box
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I'm simply trying to look at it from different angles. I think it's fun, I like puzzles (if it is indeed a puzzle) :D I hope it's going to be something but if it's just random letters and numbers without any meaning that some dev started with for giggles and then it escalated into this it'll be a bit "Meh" for sure.

Don't really see much hype in it personally. Just find it curious.

EDIT: Also, "If you look hard enough" was poor wording, what I meant is that in hangman puzzles you want long words (for example, "Pillars of Eternity", or "Encyclopedia") because then you cover more letters.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Alright. Just created an account here to tell you something obvious you might have missed.

The backer update 45 explicitly contains a hint. The cup that is shown contains the words "Shift Supervisor HELIOS One".

Helios One is a location in Fallout New Vegas and is also kinda connected to an NPC named ... Caesar.

Caesar is the name of a simple substitution cipher with a key space of 26, well we can say 25.

Additionally is the cipher a simple shift of the alphabet, therefore the "Shift Supervisor" supports this theory.

Furthermore is to be discovered how the Caesar cipher can be connected to the codes (which are kinda base 62).

• Like 1

Well, the fact that every dev that worked on the project has one doesn't mean that it couldn't be used to hint at the key for solving the ARG, especially since it was featured (sorry couldn't find a better word for it :D) heavily at the end of the update.

Edited by Daled

Indeed it does not. However it does leave one to ask which is more likely:

1) that they used a trinket from a 10 year old, unrelated game as the key, waited 6 weeks to reveal it to us, and then did so knowing that we would somehow figure out that it was that (and not the Portishead hoodie) which was going to blow the whole thing open...or...

2) that Josh was just drinking out of his office coffee cup

Alright. Just created an account here to tell you something obvious you might have missed.

The backer update 45 explicitly contains a hint. The cup that is shown contains the words "Shift Supervisor HELIOS One".

Helios One is a location in Fallout New Vegas and is also kinda connected to an NPC named ... Caesar.

Caesar is the name of a simple substitution cipher with a key space of 26, well we can say 25.

Additionally is the cipher a simple shift of the alphabet, therefore the "Shift Supervisor" supports this theory.

Furthermore is to be discovered how the Caesar cipher can be connected to the codes (which are kinda base 62).

Heh, I think I've tried every "Cipher Solver" that I could find (dcode is a good resource for testing) but all that comes out is gibberish.

I might be doing it wrong though (the upper cases and lower cases are grouped as the same letter in the online versions, as well as the numbers seem to stick around).

So when I do it, it doesn't matter if it is "A" or "a", it is registered as a the letter "a" regardless, and numbers aren't always processed either, so a "6" will stay a "6" at the place it is. If it is the Ceasar cipher, then we have to manually decrypt it, which is beyond my ability (also I'm too lazy, automation is so much more simple :p). But there are codes without numbers, and I believe codes with unique letters (no repeats) and they still just turn out gibberish in the online decryption software I use.

One would think that at least one code would make some sense or make out to be some sort of understandable words or phrases using any sort of Cipher solver, but alas, nope. Nothing. Although, your reasoning sound solid.

EDIT: For instance, here's one:

XQrdGv

And it gives this result at this site, I do a "Brute Force":

https://www.dcode.fr/caesar-cipher

"Brute-Force : all shifts are tested, text is limited to the first 250 characters. To keep punctuation and space, please indicate the correct shift found (+XX)."

+15 IBCORG

+3 UNOADS

+2 VOPBET

+16 HABNQF

+17 GZAMPE

+24 ZSTFIX

+25 YRSEHW

+12 LEFRUJ

+21 CVWILA

+13 KDEQTI

+6 RKLXAP

+20 DWXJMB

+22 BUVHKZ

+23 ATUGJY

+4 TMNZCR

+5 SLMYBQ

+19 EXYKNC

+18 FYZLOD

+1 WPQCFU

+10 NGHTWL

+14 JCDPSH

+9 OHIUXM

+7 QJKWZO

+8 PIJVYN

+11 MFGSVK

Gibberish.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Heh, I think I've tried every "Cipher Solver" that I could find (dcode is a good resource for testing) but all that comes out is gibberish.

I might be doing it wrong though (the upper cases and lower cases are grouped as the same letter in the online versions, as well as the numbers seem to stick around).

So when I do it, it doesn't matter if it is "A" or "a", it is registered as a the letter "a" regardless, and numbers aren't always processed either, so a "6" will stay a "6" at the place it is. If it is the Ceasar cipher, then we have to manually decrypt it, which is beyond my ability (also I'm too lazy, automation is so much more simple :p). But there are codes without numbers, and I believe codes with unique letters (no repeats) and they still just turn out gibberish in the online decryption software I use.

One would think that at least one code would make some sense or make out to be some sort of understandable words or phrases using any sort of Cipher solver, but alas, nope. Nothing. Although, your reasoning sound solid.

XQrdGv

"Brute-Force : all shifts are tested, text is limited to the first 250 characters. To keep punctuation and space, please indicate the correct shift found (+XX)."

+15 IBCORG

+3 UNOADS

+2 VOPBET

+16 HABNQF

+17 GZAMPE

+24 ZSTFIX

+25 YRSEHW

+12 LEFRUJ

+21 CVWILA

+13 KDEQTI

+6 RKLXAP

+20 DWXJMB

+22 BUVHKZ

+23 ATUGJY

+4 TMNZCR

+5 SLMYBQ

+19 EXYKNC

+18 FYZLOD

+1 WPQCFU

+10 NGHTWL

+14 JCDPSH

+9 OHIUXM

+7 QJKWZO

+8 PIJVYN

+11 MFGSVK

Gibberish.

6th from last is NGHTWL. Night Owl was a character in The Watchmen. The Watchmen is a graphic novel and we know that Josh likes to read. Also, “Watchmen” is very similar to “Watcher”, which is the title of the main character in Pillars.

Dude...I think you finally broke the code.

• Like 2

XQrdGv

+15 IBCORG

+3 UNOADS

+2 VOPBET

+16 HABNQF

+17 GZAMPE

+24 ZSTFIX

+25 YRSEHW

+12 LEFRUJ

+21 CVWILA

+13 KDEQTI

+6 RKLXAP

+20 DWXJMB

+22 BUVHKZ

+23 ATUGJY

+4 TMNZCR

+5 SLMYBQ

+19 EXYKNC

+18 FYZLOD

+1 WPQCFU

+10 NGHTWL

+14 JCDPSH

+9 OHIUXM

+7 QJKWZO

+8 PIJVYN

+11 MFGSVK

Gibberish.

Decrypting doesn't make any sense when the text is still encoded. If the text is encoded it's either Base62 (0-9,A-Z,a-z) or Base64 (+\=).

I just don't think it's a coincidence Josh is holding the cup right into the camera after putting down that book.

Also, to my knowledge, it's the first time they officially acknowledge the codes and want to give a hint. Release isn't that far and i doubt they will continue embedding codes afterwards.

These are totally going to turn out to just be codes you can enter to get Berath's Blessing unlockables or something like that.

That’s my guess as well

I tend to see more the A but can't really say which one it is for sure.

After two months going nowhere I have to say that this is becoming little annoying :grin: it reminds me the ARG Blizzard had in Overwatch since release (even before?) to announce the second post-release hero, about six months or so later.

Edited by Daled

I tend to see more the A but can't really say which one it is for sure.

I thought so too.  But upon further review, the last character lights up like an N during the green flash.

0RwjVI2.png

Edit: here's a reference for how the codes might look.  It would take a hard-left lean for that last character to be an A.

1WYed8E.png

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 1

I think you are right giving the A shape would be more "balanced" instead of left sided when highlighted by the green spell.

Man, I seriously don't know anymore.  Take the two possible strings, wrap them along a curve, and toss on some gaussian blur to fuzz things up a little...

At least we've narrowed it down to two possible codes, for that's that worth.

Y6awk7h.png

Edit: I agree with the below post.  Sooo... maybe we're narrowed it down to three possible codes.

Edited by Ethics Gradient