The Deadfire Scavenger Codes - WE FOUND THEM ALL - Cutthroat Cosmo! - Bonus Pets!

The d20 in post 215

Now that Obsidian is giving clues beyond the codes, let them be warned about letting detritus creep in. A clear view of something like that will not be ignored, nor should it. Which is why I think it probably means something, but who really knows...

I must have missed something. I’m aware of the *perception* that Obsidian is giving clues beyond the codes, but aside from people seeing meaning where they want to, do we have any reason to think they actually are? Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Have been thinking of rotational ciphers. Something like this. But with one circle containing 62 characters, while the other with 26 (repeated to match).

B                                           t                     F                                                    6
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
 B                                           T                     P                                                    Q

n                                            W 
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789
UVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMN
                                       H                                            A
BtF6nW -> BTPQHA                                    

R                                                        M             a
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
                 R                                                        W             K

M                                           4     A 
UVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMN
            G                                           Y     E            
RMaM4A -> RWKGYE
But nope, it's not it either. Check off the list)
  • Like 1

Well 'scuse me. I just had to seize the opportunity to get involved without needing to know how words in Swahili in year 3,829 (according to the Leipzig experts on the language cooperating with psychics, all of whom are dead and whose journals I have to steal) will translate to ancient Egypt hieroglyphs and then be interpreted by a drunk Viking etching them down as runes on a stone that is briefly dipped into an active volcano, after which the Sacred Snail will stare at it and make unrelated noises that will be recorded, the sound waves translated to colors, after which a lifetime blind and deaf person is asked to convert them to factual drawings of aliens and lastly some Obsidian employee deciding those look like CAPTCHA codes and would make an engaging puzzle.

So, yeah. I don't do ARG's much but I've seen more far-fetched things than that die being relevant. I also know very little about ciphers and it's clear to me that we already have professionals handling that approach. So while we are seemingly just lining up locks that we constantly lack the key for, I'll use my imagination to think of other solutions :p

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

There are some 6bit character encodings btw

6bits is enough to encode a character in base62.

Been thinking what if use 5 bits instead? since that would be enough for english alphabet (26 < 2^5)

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789 - cipher dictionary
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ - english alphabet
BtF6nW - cipher fragment

B=1    t=45    F=5   6=58    n=39   W=22
000001 101101 000101 111010 100111 010110
00000 11011 01000 10111 10101 00111 01011 0..
  0    27     8    23    21     7    11
  A     ?     I     X     V     H     L
Again gibberish) Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

I still don't think it's a cipher for text since (among other things) there's no easy #1, #2, #3 clue and they're all strongly hashid related.

But, for fun, I tried seeing if it was a substitution using the "Helios 1" coffee cup.  As in the first letter in a substitution.  Like "H is letter 1" for the cup.

I tried it for H->a (I->b, etc...) and H->A (I->A).  I tried it with and without including the numbers.  First line (and the number on the third line) being the original and the stuff below being the shifted letters.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z             
T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S   
H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z A B C D E F G     0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   
d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S     T U V W X Y Z a b c   
H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6     7 8 9 A B C D E F G   

I got kinda excited because BtF6nW started to come out as "iam.UD" ("iam UD" ignoring the numbers, "iamDU3" with the numbers) but then w6Pd2u was all nonsense.  Unless I've messed up the shift.

I still don't think it's a cipher for text since (among other things) there's no easy #1, #2, #3 clue and they're all strongly hashid related.

Not to mention that's no easy way to establish when each was released. They have to be stand-alone.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Oh my god!

I got it!

You have to put the code like this:

BtF6nW 
w6Pd2u 
SHbEXB 
cCedpo
8twCgw 
BMahh7 
KFK5Lj 
RMaM4A
XQrdGv 
CoC6eF 
DeYvu8 
HTEPbK
25Pwqv 
VMTjAb 
yJ3BqA

Into this:
http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/substitution.php

Choose dancing men in the drop down scroll bar, and you will see it.

*It's dance moves! xD xD no, I didn't get it at all xD

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 4

This forum needs a downvote function :(

Osvir, you’re officially off my Christmas card list

Haha, sorry. I just couldn't resist, it looked too funny xD

I can give you a treat (that may not be anything) however, I did get some words out of the codes (more than I've done before) at dcode and using Book Cipher. Still doesn't make sense grammatically, but it is words~ is probably a red herring *shrug*

I did read some parts of cryptoanalysis and most times it's just simple Hangman, and if BtF=THE, which is an instant I've seen several times across several "cipher solvers", then I get curious if it could just be that simple... wild guessing the answer. What are other good sentence starters?

For instance, if you take the first code, BtF6nW, and take the beastiary entry text, the result becomes "THEY". I tried only the beastiary entries and got something like:

"THEY - PILLAGERS RATHUN - OGRES - AND -"

And then I don't remember from the top of my head the next one, but it didn't work on Naga (I tried both variants). Here's the link if you want to try it out yourself (You put the code in the upper box and the text in the lower box).

https://www.dcode.fr/book-cipher

Plus the tools list:
https://www.dcode.fr/tools-list

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 2

Haha, sorry. I just couldn't resist, it looked too funny xD

I can give you a treat (that may not be anything) however, I did get some words out of the codes (more than I've done before) at dcode and using Book Cipher. Still doesn't make sense grammatically, but it is words~ is probably a red herring *shrug*

I did read some parts of cryptoanalysis and most times it's just simple Hangman, and if BtF=THE, which is an instant I've seen several times across several "cipher solvers", then I get curious if it could just be that simple... wild guessing the answer. What are other good sentence starters?

For instance, if you take the first code, BtF6nW, and take the beastiary entry text, the result becomes "THEY". I tried only the beastiary entries and got something like:

"THEY - PILLAGERS RATHUN - OGRES - AND -"

And then I don't remember from the top of my head the next one, but it didn't work on Naga (I tried both variants). Here's the link if you want to try it out yourself (You put the code in the upper box and the text in the lower box).

Plus the tools list:

https://www.dcode.fr/tools-list

It could be that but not likely. That Book Cipher is simply ignoring the letters and using the numbers to pull the corresponding word from the Bestiary Text.

So the 6th word in the Imp text is They. And the 6th and 2nd words in the Rathun bestiary text are Pillagers Rathun. And so on.

• Like 1

BtF6nW

Imps are troublemakers and vagabonds. They spend their days seeking out passing adventurers or animals to satisfy their amusement, which covers a variety of nuisances: toxic gasses, creating apparitions, teleporting, or stealing.

= THEY

Like I said, it's probably nothing. Because it didn't work on the Naga (Entry #6).

EDIT: @Enduin: Ah, makes sense.

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

mNUd5?

5 digit codes now or am I just not seeing the 6th?

EDIT: mfvUd5

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 1

mNUd5?

5 digit codes now or am I just not seeing the 6th?

EDIT: mfvUd5

That's probably it, but it could also be:  nfvUd5

It's hard to tell if that's a bit of ornamentation on the tank making the n look like a m.

Also, if things are getting truly nutty, it could even be mfvUd5r.  There's a possible 7th character after the 5.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 2

Well, I hope our Observers are aware that these things have a shelf life and are taking that into account as they execute whatever evil plan this is.

Some people never engaged. Others have already checked out. At some point the goodwill is gone.

• Like 3

Well, I hope our Observers are aware that these things have a shelf life and are taking that into account as they execute whatever evil plan this is.

Some people never engaged. Others have already checked out. At some point the goodwill is gone.

Good point. If it truly is something, there need to be hints. The hive mind here isn't getting anywhere.

But maybe come Easter we will get some hints for some Easter eggs perhaps?

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Good point. If it truly is something, there need to be hints. The hive mind here isn't getting anywhere.

But maybe come Easter we will get some hints for some Easter eggs perhaps?

That would make sense. Since we don’t have perfect knowledge of when they were released, that largely rules out anything where sequence is important.

Smart people have come up mostly empty handed when it comes to ciphers.

They aren’t console codes in the beta...however they could be Berath’s Blessing-type Easter eggs for the release version.

• Like 3

I was starting to feel the same myself. Not that I'm not still interested, but if there is some latent amount of effort that still needs expended, then I think it's becoming in short order.

I was starting to feel the same myself. Not that I'm not still interested, but if there is some latent amount of effort that still needs expended, then I think it's becoming in short order.
7 weeks is a long time to expect an audience to maintain hype for something you won’t talk about.

I frequently have to coordinate rollout campaigns for various things at work. “Attention” is a difficult resource to manage. Too much information and people over-saturate. Too little and your message won’t get through all the other noise in the environment. I can’t wrap my head around what it is they are hoping to accomplish here.

EDIT: typos

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 7