The Deadfire Scavenger Codes - WE FOUND THEM ALL - Cutthroat Cosmo! - Bonus Pets!

How do you even see those. I have to spend 5 minutes staring at those pictures, knowing something is there already, before I manage to notice one. ughhhh...

Wednesday’s was the first one I’ve struggled with. Not sure how EG spotted that one :(

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I’m wondering if it’s possible that we’ve missed some.

Yes..  Yes we have!

Code 8, courtesy of @ManifestedISO.  RMaM4A

Redeems for Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death (Secrets of the Ark) 

I'm going to see how many free games I can luck into

Maybe they are merely GoG codes, and the others it's just someone beating you to it.

Just as you are trying to give away your unused game codes, someone is probably doing the same.

• Like 1

According to the name of the picture with code number eight is is from January 16.

Thanks!  I added that to the first post.

Wednesday’s was the first one I’ve struggled with. Not sure how EG spotted that one :(

I'm not sure I can ever be 100% on that lowercase 'a', but as the bestiary gif loops over and over, you eventually see enough of that glyph that it probably can't be anything else.

All the codes so far have used the (awesome) Pillars in-game font called Espinosa Nova.  If a letter looks a little difficult to recognize, you can always compare it to some sample strings over here.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just a code that devs started to use to watermark their official media files and now they're laughing gleefully at people trying to find a secret meaning behind them?

P.S. I hate ARG games of all kind...

• Like 4

Maybe it's just a code that devs started to use to watermark their official media files and now they're laughing gleefully at people trying to find a secret meaning behind them?

P.S. I hate ARG games of all kind...

1. That wouldn’t explain why some of the images have them and others don’t (even though they are otherwise identical).

2. There are other ways of digitally signing images that are transparent to the viewer

3. Orgs posting the image without the code would have to know to look for them then remove them and not fear legal trouble.

4. WHY?!

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

1. That wouldn’t explain why some of the images have them and others don’t (even though they are otherwise identical).

2. There are other ways of digitally signing images that are transparent to the viewer

3. Orgs posting the image without the code would have to know to look for them then remove them and not fear legal trouble.

4. WHY?!

also:

5. Five out of eight codes were images posted by obsidian, and in all likelihood, there are seven or eight more to come.*

*(Assuming a new code every Wednesday through launch)

The press kit codes are cool finds, but we're probably going to have at least a dozen codes straight from the developer's own twitter accounts that were never meant to be on other sites anyway.

Eigth Code Found: RMaM4A Deadfire Press Kit Screenshot(Published 16 Jan)

PillarsOfEternity2-2018-01-16-16-22-25-8

So, this means this (RMaM4A) is actually the 1st code? Because it was published 1 day earlier than the first "twitter/bestiary" code?

And btw, how did you even spot it in that particular picture? For example I still don't see it)

P.S. Played a bit more with baconian substitution. Tried substituting digits with their binary representation. Still nothing:

0 = 0001 4 = 0100 8 = 1000

1 = 0001 5 = 0101 9 = 1001

2 = 0010 6 = 0110

3 = 0011 7 = 0111

RMaM4A    BtF6nW    w6Pd2u       SHbEXB cCedpo 8twCgw    BMahh7    KFK5Lj

001001000 010011010 101100100101 001000 101111 100011011 001110111 000010101

00100 10000 10011 01010 11001 00101 00100 01011 11100 01101 10011 10111 00001 0101?

E     R    U/V    L     ?     F     E     M     ?     O    U/V    Z     B

E     Q     T     K     Z     F     E     L     ?     N     T     X     B

P.P.S. So far the frequency of letters used in codes are closer to substitution than to being randomly generated:

9gm7Ej5.png

But we still need a larger dataset)

• Like 3

So, this means this (RMaM4A) is actually the 1st code? Because it was published 1 day earlier than the first "twitter/bestiary" code?

And btw, how did you even spot it in that particular picture? For example I still don't see it)

The code is hidden on the side of the stairs by the main entrance:

kj0Wt5t.png

As far as the order goes, I can put up a list by possible published date, but the last two and the mockup image were spotted on more than one site as we were looking around.  It might take a little bit of investigation to determine where and when it was published first.

• Like 1

The code is hidden on the side of the stairs by the main entrance

Hah, cannot unsee it now)
Funny how that works :)
  • Like 2

What if it is specific placeholders for actual in-game treasure hunting? Codes, passwords, and such. Or maybe even prop names, given how they are positioned and where they are? "AddObject RMaM4A" has anyone tried using some code in-game in the console command?

Edited by Osvir

Another code if no one saw it:
rkPCR9J.jpg

Look in the lower right corner on the wooden railing. "XQrdGv"

What counts, the date the magazine is released, or the date the cover was "shown"/"announced".

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 6

Something I found interesting is the name of the files as well...

rkPCR9J.jpg or "https://i.imgur.com/rkPCR9J.jpg"

Similar structure. I think there was only one, a GIF, that was harder to discern and I had to go into Javascript to find the actual .gif/.jpg. But are the filenames also involved somehow??  :geek:

Edited by Osvir

Alright, I somehow start do doubt that there is regular cipher to solve. My take would be the following. Many oft he codes appear to be usable for GOG. Some are not. Could the others be put together into one longer steam-friendly code? Don't have steam myself, maybe someone could test that and  if it works, which game does it lead to?

That being said I somehow have a feeling that the titles of the games could be telling a story or giving us hints

BtF6nW        Trine 3: The Artifact of Power (GOG)

w6Pd2u + SHbEXB +cCedpo (Steam Code ?)

8twCgw        select 2 items for free: no options available though (GOG)

BMahh7

KFK5Lj        Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate (GOG)

RMaM4A     Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death (Secrets of the Ark) (GOG)

XQrdGv       Smuggler's Guild (GOG)

Edited by mungomunk
  • Like 3

Alright, I somehow start do doubt that there is regular cipher to solve. My take would be the following. Many oft he codes appear to be usable for GOG. Some are not. Could the others be put together into one longer steam-friendly code? Don't have steam myself, maybe someone could test that and  if it works, which game does it lead to?

That being said I somehow have a feeling that the titles of the games could be telling a story or giving us hints

BtF6nW        Trine 3: The Artifact of Power (GOG)

w6Pd2u + SHbEXB +cCedpo (Steam Code ?)

8twCgw        select 2 items for free: no options available though (GOG)

BMahh7

KFK5Lj        Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate (GOG)

RMaM4A     Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death (Secrets of the Ark) (GOG)

XQrdGv       Smuggler's Guild (GOG)

When I started with the decipher I got the sense that it would spell out "EOTHAS", but I was always missing an A or an S (and only 5 codes then, so it was too short too). Now there is 8 codes, and that the codes are working on GOG is interesting. Was someone able to claim the rewards too? I tried, but it says it no longer works.

Regardless, if the titles of the games are somehow relevant, it made me think... could it possibly be hints for something related to Cain & Boyarsky project? Either that or simply "Here's some stuff that's relevant to what you will find in Deadfire". Like, a very very (very) vague announcement of what we can expect in Deadfire :p

EDIT: !!!

Turning the code around:

"w6Pd2u"

Into

"u2dP6w" gave the result:

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: Le Chuck's Revenge

I'll try it on the others.

EDIT:

YEP!

w6Pd2u (reverse) = Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: Le Chuck's Revenge

SHbEXB  (reverse) = The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Expansion Pass (Expires 17th September 2025, does not work though)

cCedpo can't get this one to work

BMahh7 not this one either

8twCgw (reverse) = Also The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt Expansion Pass (Never expires)

KFK5Lj (reverse) = The Celestian North

XQrdGv (reverse) = OlliOlli

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 5