Overland MAP - Can we have a day\night cycle there?

Mazisky

I really appreciate what they are doing with the overland map.

It fits with the game and  the exploration\islands theme,  much better than a classic static map like we had in Poe1.

There is  a problem tho, i really wonder if they'll add a day\night cycle because it feels odd to see the upper-left clock and time (with sun\moon icons) passing,  but no real effect to see.

I'm pretty sure this may add a lot to the exploration mood the game is trying to achieve.

• Like 7

It would certainly enhance the exploration mood, but I suspect it's a bit too much work so close to release. Perhaps in a later major patch or expansion?

Civ 6 did this really nice, for instance.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

It would certainly enhance the exploration mood, but I suspect it's a bit too much work so close to release. Perhaps in a later major patch or expansion?

Civ 6 did this really nice, for instance.

I think it can be made with little effort if you don't add special effects but just work on fading saturation\lighting levels.

Only effects needed are 2 versions for important places images, one for daytime and another with lights for nighttime.

Edited by Mazisky
  • Like 2

You're right, guys. In the beta, I've myself come across bugs that show that the overland map is literally just an overlay. Underneath it, an area is already loaded, and your characters are there in the background, the same goes for scripted interactions. Most of the tech is already implemented, so I say go for it! :)

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I believe the Process is called "Color Grading".

They have this System since the first POE, so I guess that'd be super simple to implement that on the World Map drawing.

More work though, if you want ambiance variations between day & night while at sea.

Edited by DexGames

I believe the Process is called "Color Grading".

They have this System since the first POE, so I guess that'd be super simple to implement that on the World Map drawing.

More work though, if you want ambiance variations between day & night while at sea.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends how much work will be put into the ambiance. If its rich enough, it might be enough to tone it down a bit for night cycle. More of a wish, rather than demand.

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really like how your crew members consume food, and how quality of food increases/decreases morale. A nice interplay between party adventuring and sea travels. And that when you crew repairs the ship one point per hour, and you travel on land it is still happening and you get a pop up about loosing tools - those constantly working background systems immediately make game feel more alive and sparkle imagination.

• Like 1