Couple general questions re: BB, companions, classes, and Multi-classes.

Recently finished my first full play through of POE (after many many partial play throughs) and thought I would fool around with the BB a bit (hoping to hear a release date soon) -  I have not been following the development much at all after making an early pledge but I finished a run through of the Beta yesterday - seems MUCH shorter than POE Beta which I played fairly extensively over quite a few months while waiting for release and don't think I had any run throughs  of that BB that I finished all the content available. as I was mostly interested in trying out classes and learning the gameplay (I have not yet entered any of the areas in the Deadfire beta that warned of higher level content than I might be prepared for)

I searched around for discussions of companions expected for Deadfire and eventually came up with a page (on the wiki?) that had names & portraits of all  those more or less "confirmed" but no other info - so I guess all the companions from the original will make an appearance and apparently some of the new faces will be "sidekicks" (I assume more limited than full blown companions). Any thing else I should know about that?

I built a MC fighter/chanter and chose the devoted sub-class for the fighter which says I can only have one weapon proficiency but I was still given the choice of 2 proficiencys to start and gained another on level up and did not see any difference in how they performed - I assume thats a bug in the beta? (have not had time to read through any bug reports/known issue info).

I am pretty excited about the multi-class opitons and hope it will work out so that the player can make choices (changes) to use them with the companions (without having to give up "real" companions for hired adventurers to do so.)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

As for that wiki, dont trust it. There as been no indication that there will be return companions. Honestly, for the most reliable info, this forum and the Fig page are the most reliable.

Really? So this close to release and we have nothing regarding companions?  :o

As for that wiki, dont trust it. There as been no indication that there will be return companions. Honestly, for the most reliable info, this forum and the Fig page are the most reliable.

Really? So this close to release and we have nothing regarding companions?  :o

Not really sure how to read this. You don't want to have spoilers, that's obvious. We do have profiles on the companions that can join you. Whether you run into an old friend as an NPC is yet to be seen, and should be kept that way.

Returning: Aloth, Edér, Pallegina

New: Maia, Xoti, Serafen, and Tekēhu

Sidekicks: Fessina, Konstantin, Ydwin, Rekke

Where sidekicks are merely glorified mercenaries with a bit of light background and have a quest before they can join you. While companions are like last game but now expanded to have a rich relationship system with the watcher and between each other.

I vaguely recall mention that some, not all, of the former companions could return as NPCs. But these were very early musings. If none do, I personally don't think that is a huge deal, as I would only want it if it had some justification. Now in real life you might run into someone in a mundane way, but we all know that fans would be disappointed by that, so in a game you do need to have those sorts of things be well justified with respect to story.

• Like 4

We also have a bit of info on some of the new companions too, from some of the Fig updates. Update #13 in particular gives a fair bit of info on Maia Rua and Serafen:

Maia Rua is an island aumaua ranger whose animal companion, Ishiza, is a bird of prey that can scout outdoor environments both in and out of combat. Like Kana, her brother, she's a loyal Rauataian of Huana ancestry.

Her boldness and dedication have earned her an enviable position as a ship captain, which in turn has brought her to Deadfire as part of her country's mission to "civilize" the wild archipelago. Her duties find her working with Atsura, a courtier and representative of the ranganui, on an ambitious campaign to win the hearts and minds of the Huana people. But for all her skill as a soldier and captain, she has little experience with politics and espionage, and she must adapt to her new role quickly.

Serafen is an orlan cipher/barbarian and a member of the Príncipi sen Patrena, the dominant pirate organization in the region. He was born into slavery and put to work as a rigger and powder monkey since his small size made him ideal for scurrying around ships.

During those years, he discovered his talents as a cipher and used them to lure his masters' ship into the path of the Príncipi. Impressed, the pirates offered him a position as one of their infamous"ship hunters," and he in turn found acceptance and freedom among his new comrades. He worries, however, that the growing schism in the Príncipi will destroy the community he has come to love.

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/263

Also there's some info on sidekicks in this update: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/updates/273 However the sidekicks have apparently changed a bit since and we can't be too sure about how accurately these descriptions describe each character. Bonteru and Radora in particular have been 'scrapped', though whether scrapped or renamed I'm not too sure either. Fessina and Konstanten are the new ones in their place and whilst they might share some very superficial similarities it's likely that they've changed in more than merely name.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Ah... excellent! Just the sort of info I was hoping for - I will go check out those links!  thanks all!  :thumbsup:

Anyone else played a devoted fighter/ ? MC yet and if so how did the weapon restriction work for you? Mine was essentially non-existant.

About to try a Male Mountain Dwarf - Warlock (Barbarian (mage killer)/Transmuter) as part of a new oddball group led by a Female Orlan Harbinger (trickster/ troubadour), with a Male Moon Godlike Paladin (Kind Wayfarer) a Male Fire Godlike Mystic (Wael / Soul Blade) and a Female Druid Lifegiver. I am interested to see if the mage killer/mage combo will work out.

Mage Killers get only half the duration from self buffs of ALL kind (including Form of the Fearsome Brute). Also, Form of the Fearsome Brute has reduced INT which shrinks carnage AoE quite a bit.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mage Killers get only half the duration from self buffs of ALL kind (including Form of the Fearsome Brute). Also, Form of the Fearsome Brute has reduced INT which shrinks carnage AoE quite a bit.

Hey.

Would the Mage Slayer be a good subclass for a pure Barbarian?  Does it half the duration of Frenzy? Or are there new Barbarian abilities that it would affect?

Cheers

Edited by Gary1986

Hey.

Would the Mage Slayer be a good subclass for a pure Barbarian?  Does it half the duration of Frenzy? Or are there new Barbarian abilities that it would affect?

Cheers

It does halve the duration of Frenzy (and Wild Sprint, and I'd guess the +3 engagement from upgraded Yell). But barbarian CC abilities (on enemies) aren't diminished. 

However at least one person wrote they played through the beta with it and found it to be powerful. (Did anyone ever figure out exactly which abilities the mage slayer "chance of spell failing" effect applies to?)

Edited by SaruNi

I played a bit with it and you can completely prevent an enemy from using active abilities as soon as they need some time to activate (mostly spells).

It's kind of a class for special occasions only, but it can come in handy.

The malus of halved frenzy and such is a bit stupid though.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

What are the impressions of some of the old hands overall? I seem to recall a post where Boeroer for example was not happy in the direction they were going? Do you guys think they moving in the right direction or not? I haven't  played the BB much, mainly because of internet access problems - I'd rather download games than beta's at this stage...

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light