Social Enforced RP

Karrock

Have you considered creating social enforced rp game? I mean mmorpg where rp-rules (like being in char all the time) are restricted. If the answer is yes: why this kind of idea has never been put into a work-stage (or just announced)?

Thank you for your reply.

~Karrock

World of Warcraft offers several "rp-only" servers if that's of any interest to you.

Called social "rp" games are divided to these genres: no rp, rp is accepted, rp is encouraged, rp is enforced. No MMORPG games (in modern times when I write this test) include enforced rp rules.

I mean servers or whole games with enforced rp, that means banning players who break this rule. I have long experience (about 15 years) in few author's games based on this concept. Please send me any questions to PM box, if you need details about.

Have you considered creating social enforced rp game?

Isn't that just real life? I know I am currently roleplaying as almost decent human. I'm pretty sure others do this as well.

• Like 3

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I recall there were a few cool RP heavy modules in Neverwinter Nights. You probably still can get into one - like Ravenloft Prisoners of the Mist - http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php

I still think that NWN was the best MP game other than esport game like SC, DotA and CS. NWN was superior to any MMO there was at a time - it was moddable, it allowed huge player agency and the only thing it required, was a bunch of like minded and dedicated players.

Edited by Darkpriest

I've found out that in MMOs I make friends more easily by being socially obscene. Or at least what is perceived to be socially obscene. 

In FF14 I had a Miqo'Te white mage. There was a particular emotion with which I could give female characters, bar the short ones, a good rub on the boobs...from behind. And I made female friends that way, I kid you not.  

In Lineage II I was doing something similar but with a female dwarf. Those are fun because they can massage or fist the buttocks and crotches of all other races. It was an instant hit when I started doing it in Giran one day. And I can tell you that people were enjoying the attention. 

Does that fit in the discussion? I think yes.

I believe people want to escape the familiar with games. Socially enforced role-playing does seem familiar in a few regards to society. 

I think that when you have a truly well made MMO, people just RP anyways.

I also think that every MMO is too soft these days to be a good example. The closest one I can give is Lineage II Chronicle I. It was just brutal in a way. And you needed real friends to make it. 

Edited by Hulk'O'Saurus

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Ive tried to create RP events on KotOR. It didnt go well. Mostly because paladins. People who have little undestanding of long term gains vs Short term satisfaction. In MMORPGs there is next to none roleplay outside of decidedly RP Guilds. And the good ones are far and inbetween.

Having 8 characters on each side I would say that makes it possible to create scenarios where roleplayes got their fill. But unfortunately not.

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the worst thing about enforced RP is that people doing the enforcing, and/or many of the participants in the forced RP, have no ****ing clue what proper RPing actually is.

I remember fondly one time in a WoW RP server where I came across some random muppets RPing some kind of scenario between them.

One of them types out 'pulls out poison and begins applying it to his blade'.

So I pointed out that there is no way I could know that the substance he was applying to his blade was poison.  I said it politely and in a non-aggressive way.  It was just an observation.

Next thing I know he's threatening to report me to Blizz for harassing him.

What an idiot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

People generally have too thin skin. There is no harm in pointing out that things do not make sense from a RP perspective. We all learn. Even people who have RPd for years still learn. We just learn less frequently, and more often find us selves teachers rather than students.

And I am fine with that.

• Like 1

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!