The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

It is very much as if America has been psychologically immunized against gun control. You have all seen these mass shootings endless times and been unable to arrive at a solution, I suppose both because radical solutions are difficult, and because you are now predetermined to not seek them.

There is only one solution guaranteed to work, get rid of the guns. Never gonna happen in the current climate though. 

Do you have any notion how uselessly impractical it would be to try and solve the mass shooting problem by curing or barring from ownership every american with a potentially dangerous mental condition. Besides, the gun lobby would view even half arsed attempts as encroachments on their rights.

The logical conclusion, which is gun control the way most of the rest of the world does it,  lies several generations ahead. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It is very much as if America has been psychologically immunized against gun control. You have all seen these mass shootings endless times and been unable to arrive at a solution, I suppose both because radical solutions are difficult, and because you are now predetermined to not seek them.

There is only one solution guaranteed to work, get rid of the guns. Never gonna happen in the current climate though. 

Do you have any notion how uselessly impractical it would be to try and solve the mass shooting problem by curing or barring from ownership every american with a potentially dangerous mental condition. Besides, the gun lobby would view even half arsed attempts as encroachments on their rights.

The logical conclusion, which is gun control the way most of the rest of the world does it,  lies several generations ahead. 

Part of it is the second amendment since you'd have to reconcile any solutions with that, and I'm pretty sure we're the only country with the right to own firearms inscribed right in the Constitution. Part of it is also the culture. And a lot of it is also just pure politics.

I don't think it's going to take generations though, maybe just the generational shift in politics as millenials come into politics.

Ah. I Googled both and the Serbia flag is supposed to have a gold crown and crest just left of center.

That's because the Serb flag and the Flag of the Republic of Serbia are different. Serbia (Republic) flag has one badge, Serbia (Kingdom) flag had a different badge; Serb flag is the basic version with no badge.

• Like 1

So armed teachers is the solution of the day. Not a bad idea in terms of PR to have this meeting with students and teachers though.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So armed teachers is the solution of the day.

With what though, AR-15s? What if the shooter shows up with body armor? It doesn't seem like a viable solution and it just seems better to stop an event from starting in the first place, not after the shooter shows up and has already started shooting.

FN Five Sevens!

But really, I would imagine just from physics alone getting blasted with rounds that don't penetrate is still going to incapacitate a shooter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Wouldn't it be better to stop it from happening in the first place? And no, arming the teachers doesn't count if the shooter shows up anyway. Arming the teachers seems to amount to MAD doctrine, I mean, it almost seems like people are trying to apply MAD here. Besides, when has arming teachers ever stopped a shooting? Conservatives always say we should give more guns without proving that it actually works.

Edited by smjjames

Wouldn't it be better to stop it from happening in the first place? And no, arming the teachers doesn't count if the shooter shows up anyway. Arming the teachers seems to amount to MAD doctrine, I mean, it almost seems like people are trying to apply MAD here. Besides, when has arming teachers ever stopped a shooting? Conservatives always say we should give more guns without proving that it actually works.

Well yes, but I am just rolling with it. Prevention isn't sexy as it's hard work and behind scenes, sadly

Imo, arming teachers is a terribad idea. If somebody must be armed, I prefer a dedicated "sky marshal" type person like someone mentioned earlier.

So, someone who can blend in with the passengers, 21 jump street style. 

It's all reactive though. Prevention is what you need. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm pretty sure this armed teachers thing was an Onion headline a few days ago.

you would think so

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Imo, arming teachers is a terribad idea. If somebody must be armed, I prefer a dedicated "sky marshal" type person like someone mentioned earlier.

Exactly, it would be better to prevent it from happening in the first place. If arming teachers is prevention, then we might as well apply MAD doctrine and go all out.

Zarif should have brought along a model of an F-16 as a prop. Or not, Bibi's prop usage is always cringe inducing.

Zarif is appealing to a slightly more intelligent audience than Bibi; no props needed.

The props work for Bibi because he's telling the latest chapter in a cartoonish tale to an uninformed and ignorant audience with a childish mentality. They also reveal his contempt for those who believe him.

We need guns armed with guns.

Skynet?!

I think the traditional Fallout post-apocalypse is a better endtime scenario. I mean you can't play survivalism with robot gunships hovering over your head.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

You'll all be relived to hear all of my firearms are still safely locked up in the gun safe. They didn't escape and harm anyone all by themselves. Because clearly inanimate objects are the threat right? You'd certainly think so watching the news these days.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You'll all be relived to hear all of my firearms are still safely locked up in the gun safe. They didn't escape and harm anyone all by themselves. Because clearly inanimate objects are the threat right? You'd certainly think so watching the news these days.

inanimate objects like a tax bill?

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

One reason if they ever do "arm" teachers that it would never work is because of suing. First thing that popped into my head when I heard this is someone gonna try to shoot up a school, a teacher is prepared and pulls out a gun and shoots the student dead after the student starts unloading into a crowd. Teacher hailed as a hero then gets taken to court and sued.

I explained it poorly. These people wouldn't have to be undercover, just a well trained security guard type.

Of course prevention is preferable but we have to deal in the reality of life instead of making sound bytes. Guns are here to stay and we aren't suddenly going to gain full and complete understanding of mental illnesses, how to identify those people and how to treat them. Plus, some people are just evil scumbags. :shrugz:

• Like 1