The Political Quinceañera Thread

Blarghagh

27750715_10155396617182894_6329617240986

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think an important question is to determine what “polish death camps” means. I might as well argue it refers to any polish death camp, not just the ones which the Nazis build. And honestly, that doesn’t seem like too far of a cry. Laws can be changed easily.

And Poland did build some actual death camps. Tuchola (?) during the Polish-Soviet war comes to mind. I believe a rather large number of Soviet soldiers died there, something around the 16.000. Furthermore, the polish did their fair share of backing the white terror with its anti-Jewish character earlier in the same century. That happened mostly in Russia and the Ukraine; but the point is, that this law can easily be modified to disable citizens from discussing events such as these.

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

I'm not pro Polish at all- for all their whining about being stabbed in the back they stabbed Lithuania and the Czechs in the back beforehand, unapologetically- but Poland simply did not build death camps. Death Camps means Birkenau or Treblinka type camps which were constructed to specifically kill people, not a concentration or POW camp where people died from neglect, and as bad as that is in itself. You'd have a hard time finding major countries that haven't used concentration/ pow camps with high death rates.

And to be fair to Poland you'd go a very long way to find a country that cooperated less with the Nazis than them- maybe Russia proper and Byelorus and that's it. Even the Serbs had incidents with their Cetnik resistances helping Germans. Using the term 'Polish Death Camps' just because the Germans happened to build them at Oswiecim etc would be pretty irksome. I suspect if Germany decided that Guernsey/ Aldenay/ Sark/ Jersey should have death camps instead we would not talk about English Death Camps, for example.

Stupid way to tackle the issue though, no doubt about it.

• Like 1

Jesus. I thought he had some semblance of common sense.

There's nothing common about common sense?

Playing devil's advocate, I don't think that most folks in Congress (or even the President), tweet their own tweets most of the time. They've got staff to do that for them. And no doubt occasionally that staff ****s up in their eyes.

This is also probably true of most high profile folks. Really, most people in power or working on gaining it have more important things to do than spend time tweeting, and most have the means to have others do it for them.

L0L LOGIC. Does this to 'protect' international reputation... yet the act of doing this hurts said rep. BRILLIANT.

He sounds like my boss.

Who? Volourn or the Polish President?

Well if it were Volo, I would have said 'You' as I quoted him. Volo would be an improvement over my boss as well, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Are we sure this isn't what the GOP want? There is a lot of profit to be made by shorting stocks, dipping the market and buying low. I'm sure there are people who saw this coming and have been offloading for a while now. Some people really love recessions.

Most likely there are republicans who are happy about this turn of the events, but members of GOP in congress and Trump have parroted narrative about how stock market growth shows what economy growing under their leadership and for said narrative big stock market drops isn't best turn of the events.

Maybe, but the opposition cannot say that stock drop is Trumps fault without acknowledging that the stock rise was his success  8)   

Nobody's even blaming him in the first place.

L0L LOGIC. Does this to 'protect' international reputation... yet the act of doing this hurts said rep. BRILLIANT.

Well... a great many are deluded to think they live in nations that actually have freedom of speech enshrined.

Fact is, that a great many places (and the number is sadly growing) that many wouldn't expect, have laws criminalizing various forms of speech, thought, and the spreading of various ideas in any way. Worldwide it's safe to say that the vast majority of nations have such laws, but many aren't aware that many western nations do as well.

Example, that should make people think (whether they do or not is an entirely different matter):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial

Laws against 'hate speech' and the like are pure evil, and ironically very arguably expressions of hate themselves.

Are we sure this isn't what the GOP want? There is a lot of profit to be made by shorting stocks, dipping the market and buying low. I'm sure there are people who saw this coming and have been offloading for a while now. Some people really love recessions.

Most likely there are republicans who are happy about this turn of the events, but members of GOP in congress and Trump have parroted narrative about how stock market growth shows what economy growing under their leadership and for said narrative big stock market drops isn't best turn of the events.

Maybe, but the opposition cannot say that stock drop is Trumps fault without acknowledging that the stock rise was his success  8)   

Nobody's even blaming him in the first place.

Yet.

Stick around.

Trump aside, it's safe to say that some people somewhere are going to blame President X for stock market crashes as much as stock market risings. There isn't a single President in the last few decades that hasn't had such blame place upon them, and by many.

I have a hard time believing Paul Ryan would tweet that out. That would be tremendously tone deaf. $1.50 a week is a pittance.

Mate, if you work on retail or a Supermarket 1.50 is a heck of a raise. They will look for every reason on your performance to not give you a raise and the closer you get to the max hourly rate is less the amounts of a raise. They even stop right before it gets to the limit.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I have a hard time believing Paul Ryan would tweet that out. That would be tremendously tone deaf. $1.50 a week is a pittance.

Mate, if you work on retail or a Supermarket 1.50 is a heck of a raise. They will look for every reason on your performance to not give you a raise and the closer you get to the max hourly rate is less the amounts of a raise. They even stop right before it gets to the limit.

A ~$6.50/month raise is a pittance by anyone's standards.

A $1.50/hour raise is decent by most people's standards, as that works out to about ~$3000/year for a full time employee, vs the $78/year raise $1.50/week gets you.

That said, $1.50/week is likely a typo/mistake. An extreme few number of places, if any, are going to give someone a raise that amounts to a few cents an hour.

50 plus years ago a few cent raise would have meant something. In the world in which we now live, not so much.

And THAT said. I bought 2 bananas for $.22 tonight. That very well might be the first time since the last millennium that my total at a counter was less than a dollar.

• Like 1

A $1.50/hour raise is decent by most people's standards, as that works out to about ~$3000/year for a full time employee, vs the $78/year raise $1.50/week gets you.

That said, $1.50/week is likely a typo/mistake. An extreme few number of places, if any, are going to give someone a raise that amounts to a few cents an hour.

50 plus years ago a few cent raise would have meant something. In the world in which we now live, not so much.

And THAT said. I bought 2 bananas for $.22 tonight. That very well might be the first time since the last millennium that my total at a counter was less than a dollar.

Why would you waste gas just to buy 2 bananas? That seems a little...you know

bananas

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Why would you waste gas just to buy 2 bananas? That seems a little...you know

bananas

Driving the extra ~120ft into and out of the parking lot of the store on my way home no doubt pumped the actual cost of my bananas a little higher. Totally worth it though.. :banana:

:banana: 

Oh I miss the days when putting a quarter into my gas tank actually took me a few miles. (Yes... I was once a poor college student, and a gallon of gas also once cost less than a $1 in my adult lifetime).

Edited by Valsuelm
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Sounds like something I'd have tried to think of a way to get out of in my day.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm not pro Polish at all- for all their whining about being stabbed in the back they stabbed Lithuania and the Czechs in the back beforehand, unapologetically- but Poland simply did not build death camps. Death Camps means Birkenau or Treblinka type camps which were constructed to specifically kill people, not a concentration or POW camp where people died from neglect, and as bad as that is in itself. You'd have a hard time finding major countries that haven't used concentration/ pow camps with high death rates.

And to be fair to Poland you'd go a very long way to find a country that cooperated less with the Nazis than them- maybe Russia proper and Byelorus and that's it. Even the Serbs had incidents with their Cetnik resistances helping Germans. Using the term 'Polish Death Camps' just because the Germans happened to build them at Oswiecim etc would be pretty irksome. I suspect if Germany decided that Guernsey/ Aldenay/ Sark/ Jersey should have death camps instead we would not talk about English Death Camps, for example.

Stupid way to tackle the issue though, no doubt about it.

With Germany's perpetual self-flagellation over the whole ordeal, you'd think they'd would defend against such insidious accusations against Poland. It's not like modern German's actually feel guilt for what happened, just for not being the vanguard of progress. Maybe things are changing though...

I think an important question is to determine what “polish death camps” means. I might as well argue it refers to any polish death camp, not just the ones which the Nazis build. And honestly, that doesn’t seem like too far of a cry. Laws can be changed easily.

And Poland did build some actual death camps. Tuchola (?) during the Polish-Soviet war comes to mind. I believe a rather large number of Soviet soldiers died there, something around the 16.000. Furthermore, the polish did their fair share of backing the white terror with its anti-Jewish character earlier in the same century. That happened mostly in Russia and the Ukraine; but the point is, that this law can easily be modified to disable citizens from discussing events such as these.

Did you equaled an epidemic in prison with Nazi death camps? You did, didn't you?

Is that something you picked in school or read some low quality website?

no, I pointed out the issues with making “polish death camp” a legal term. I don’t seem to deny, dismiss or relativise the Holocaust. But we are in a discussion about a law. And if we are doing that, I think it is perfectly reasonable to consider just how much history can or could be denied when forbidding the term “polish death camp”. Essentially, I was talking about terminology. Granted though, I should’ve made that clearer. I’m sorry if I confused anyone. Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Just one last thought on this absurd "military parade" that Trump thinks will 'honor" the troops. An event like that causes an incredible amount of stress. First of all There will be uniform inspections. Many, many of them. Then any hardware that will be displayed will bee cleaned and serviced beyond operational norm. It will be to IG level. Then there is the weeks of drill practice for the event itself. This will mean hours  and hours of work over and above normal operations. It will mean weeks of stress and no sleep. Then on the day of the event it will mean assembling in dress uniform (maybe Charlies or Bravos if they are lucky, Alphas or Dress Blues if they are not) hours before the event. Standing for hours at Parade Rest waiting for this BS to kick off. The the dog and pony show itself, quick step in formation for a mile or two in uncomfortable shoes, and at the end they get to take everything back and clean it all again.

If you want to do something to "honor" the military try doing something that will not make their already hi stress job more stressful. Giving everyone a day off would be the way I'd go. Appropriate money for each unit to have a party or something.

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell

Just one last thought on this absurd "military parade" that Trump thinks will 'honor" the troops. An event like that causes an incredible amount of stress. First of all There will be uniform inspections. Many, many of them. Then any hardware that will be displayed will bee cleaned and serviced beyond operational norm. It will be to IG level. Then there is the weeks of drill practice for the event itself. This will mean hours  and hours of work over and above normal operations. It will mean weeks of stress and no sleep. Then on the day of the event it will mean assembling in dress uniform (maybe Charlies or Bravos if they are lucky, Alphas or Dress Blues if they are not) hours before the event. Standing for hours at Parade Rest waiting for this BS to kick off. The the dog and pony show itself, quick step in formation for a mile or two in uncomfortable shoes, and at the end they get to take everything back and clean it all again.

If you want to do something to "honor" the military try doing something that will not make their already hi stress job more stressful. Giving everyone a day off would be the way I'd go. Appropriate money for each unit to have a party or something.

Also think of the damage to the roads the tank treads will do.