Dispositions for Priests / Paladins.

The goldpact knights is a "mafia" and Skaen is the "god of the hate". So why "agressive" is an unfavorable dispostion for these orders ?!?

"Passionate" is an unfavorable disposition for Berath and Magran ?!? Raedric and Durance are not passionate !?! It's a joke ?

Due to these inconsistencies, does exist a way to modify the dispositions for the priests/paladins ?

Edited by Kerozevok

The goldpact knights is a "mafia" and Skaen is the "god of the hate". So why "agressive" is an unfavorable dispostion for these orders ?!?

Goldpact Knights aren't really a mafia, they are the epitome of mercenaries. Passionate and Aggressive are disfavoured for them because those sorts of emotions get in the way of what they view as important: executing their contracts to the letter. To quote:

Goldpact Knights are not especially brutal and are willing to shift direction based on the desires of their employers.

As their name suggests, the Goldpact Knights believe payment forms a binding contract. They are known for being non-judgmental, professional, and impressively mirthless.

As for Skaenites: they're plotters. Outwardly they act like good obedient servants whilst inwardly they are filled with hate. Aggressive options don't fit this: they're too overt. Skaenites aren't going to be threatening violence, instead they'll say "yes sir" and then poison their master's dinner.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

Godpact knights aren't the bloody 'mafia', they're just mercenaries working for gold and nothing else, they're supposed to be the most 'professional' order, none of that emotional nonsense there, like aggression or passion - it's gold or GTFO.

Skaen is the god of hate, yeah, but it's not a "PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE" HATE, it's secret hatred, resentment, etc and being OPENLY AGGRESSIVE sorta is the exact opposite of that, is it not?

Also, don't confuse the characters of Raedric and Durance with their deities (i mean both of them are lunatics and Raedric isn't even a priest, while Durance is literally betrayed by Magran).

Berath is supposed to be the cold, emotionless, cyclical nature of life and death. There's no room for cruelty or passion in inevitability, just because Raedric, being a mass murdering lunatic, is so passionate doesn't mean anything (also, i personally doubt that he was raised by Berath into a fampyr and i'm more leaning towards the animancers in his service being responsible for it).

Magran though, eh, i'm not sure about that. The passionate being a negative disposition feels a bit of a stretch and mostly given for gameplay purposes (since all the deities have 2 positive and 2 negative ones) and i can't really think of another disposition that would fit better.

But if you truly have such massive problems with that, just get the Faith and Conviction / Deep faith for the character. There are there for a reason.

But if you truly have such massive problems with that, just get the Faith and Conviction / Deep faith for the character. There are there for a reason.

I agree but...

> Hello, my name is Raedric. To resolve the Waidwen's Legacy, I'll kill all inhabitants of this village but I'm not cruel or passionate... I'm a "rational man".

> Hello, I'm a goldpact knight... I'll kill you for a small fistful of gold, but I'm not aggressive.

> Hello, I'm a priest of Magran. I'd like to burn all cities of all countries, but I'm not passionate (or just a little ?).

Sometimes, it's hard to play RP in POE.

Edited by Kerozevok

> Hello, I'm a goldpact knight... I'll kill you for a small fistful of gold, but I'm not aggressive.

What gave you the idea that Goldpact Knights would agree to every contract, regardless of the terms. They're dedicated to carrying them out once they've agreed to them, but there's nothing to suggest they'll agree to them willy nilly.

Also Aggressive is more than simply using violence (otherwise every player would end up with maxed Aggressive disposition). As I understand it, it's violence for its own sake.

> Hello, my name is Raedric. To resolve the Waidwen's Legacy, I'll kill all inhabitants of this village but I'm not cruel or pasionnate... I'm a "rational man".

Raedric's not a priest of Berath: he's someone who's trying to solve the problem plaguing his land, albeit in a terrible way. He brings in Berathian's because he thinks Gilded Vale's previous association with Eothas might have something to do with the curse, but he also brings in animancers who Berathians are generally opposed to (since animancers often interfere with the cycle by creating constructs). He'll try anything.

Even if he were a priest of Berath it wouldn't stop him being cruel and passionate. These are disfavoured dispositions yes, but greed is a disfavoured disposition of Christians and yet there are plenty of greedy Christians in the world. People aren't perfect.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

Raedric is not a priest but the priests support Raedric, for them, he's a good servitor of Berath (cf Nedmar's dialog). Moreover, if we don't wear the robe, they attack us for protect this lord.

Berath's dispositions : Stoic & Rational // Cruel & Passionate.
Raedric = Cruel & Passionate // Stoic & Rational (exactly the opposite).

Sorry but... In my point of view, the universe of POE is incoherent.

(...) there are plenty of greedy Christians in the world. People aren't perfect.

In our world, God don't give +1 to our skills, so christians, jews or muslims don't respect "the dispositions". ;)

The gods don't give +1 to your skills in Pillars either. A priests power comes from their own soul. If an individual priest believes they are acting in accordance with the philosophy of their god then they become more powerful as a priest. This is even demonstrated mechanically in game by the Untroubled Faith talent, which represents a priest who believes that the unfavoured dispositions aren't important.

You've only got to look at Durance for a prime example of this. He pretty much tells you that he doesn't act like other Magranites. He also tells you that this is because (in his opinion) other Magranites aren't following Magran's philosophy correctly. Moreover he's in game proof that it's not the gods that makes their priests more powerful since his own god literally cannot see him anymore.

As for the priests of Berath supporting Raedric, how many religious figures have supported cruel lords in our own world, either out of weakness or a belief that they can influence them for the better (before you bring up God not giving his priests +1, re-read the two preceeding paragraphs). It has been a while since I've played through Raedric's quest but, as far as I remember, Nedmar essentially tells you that he thinks Raedric is trying to do the best for his people in a difficult time and that he's probably the best of two bad choices (Kolsc being the other). I don't recall him describing Raedric as a good servitor of Berath, but if he did it could be in the same way that cruel lords would often gain the favour of the Church by building big cathedrals and similar. Again, people aren't perfect.

Yeah, Pillars is quite different to Do&D in that regard. Certainly you'd be right if it wasn't.

By the way, I don't disagree with you regarding Magranites and Passionate. Even ignoring Durance we don't see much evidence for this being disfavoured in game. As Juodas days, probably just an artefact of every priest requiring two favoured and two disfavoured dispositions.