Unable to target allies with regular weapon attacks?

SaruNi

Question

For regular weapon attacks, you hover the cursor over an enemy and the cursor changes to a sword, and you click to attack. However, when your cursor hovers over an ally, it changes to the "select" tool, and clicking makes you select the ally instead of attacking.

In PoE 1 you could click on the weapon to get the attack cursor, but that's not working---you just get the ordinary cursor which changes to a select cursor over allies.

[Edit: clicking on the sword icon in the left-center panel does work for attacking allies in combat, but outside of combat the cursor changes into a red circle with a line through it when trying to target an ally.]

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1

7 answers to this question

Did you happen to have your entire party selected when you were trying to use the attack option on one of them? That will result in it switching to the crossed out circle, but if you try using the attack option with a single character or even a group of characters against a party member who hasn't been selected it still works (in my experience).

It's also very weird that you can't hit allies with normal attacks when the new Aegis of Loyalty works only with unnarmed attacks now.

Is my understanding that this is actually hotkey related probled correct? I.e. we cannot press A and click on character to attack him.

And Ctrl-A for select all is not working as well.

Is my understanding that this is actually hotkey related probled correct? I.e. we cannot press A and click on character to attack him.

I set the attack option to K and that works just fine for me. If memory serves, it's one of those things that doesn't have a hotkey until you set one for yourself.

And Ctrl-A for select all is not working as well

I haven't tried that one, but I have noticed that I can't use Ctrl-Click to select multiple party members. The select icon changes to show the minus sign to exclude someone from selection, but never the plus sign to add someone like in Pillars 1 (not that it matters much with the drag and select option being available).

I set the attack option to K and that works just fine for me. If memory serves, it's one of those things that doesn't have a hotkey until you set one for yourself.

K works as hotkey to insta-kill the mouseovered creature, if you have console enabled :)

You should still be able to attack your friends. As blotter mentioned above, the only time it won't let you is if you have your entire party selected (since you'd be telling one of your party members to attack themselves, which isn't possible).

The attack key can still be bound, it just defaults to being unbound now in favor of the camera controls. You should be able to bind it yourself and get to attacking again! Or you can click the sword icon in the bottom and do it that way.

Hope that helps =)

• Like 4

I try my very best.