Do choices alter any game play experiences at all?

Hey im curious to wonder if choices made through out the game alter how the game plays out? Such as possibility of different end game bosses depending on any choice players make? Like if you could join faction A and have a different game outcome opposed if you sided with faction B. So on and so forth.

people got vast different expectation levels regarding choice and consequences.  deadfire will be story-driven.  as such there will be a number o' essential plot points which result in gameplay bottlenecks.  sure, the developer can increase the illusion o' player vitality by making it possible to complete plot points non sequential, but chances are good you will finish the game by confronting The Ultimate Bad Guy after having completed a number o' essential critical path quests.  the conclusion o' the game will no doubt provide the player with multiple resolution options, but you will need resolve earlier plot points in a limited/limiting and predictable manner.  if is story driven, then one must needs make certain plot concessions.  

the developer's ability to provide the player with meaningful choice is gonna be finite and will be most obvious in the tangential and optional side quests o' the game.  how one advances and completes an optional and tangential side quest doesn't affect the critical path save to a necessarily trivial degree.  how one chooses to advance and complete side quests is where such choices will be most obvious.  

deadfire is not a sandbox game with a marginalized critical path story.  much o' the game will involve the player advancing The plot.  game feedback suggests players want good writing.  almost by necessity, a player is less likely to see meaningful choice where they typical most wish it-- the critical path.  

as an aside, Gromnir has numerous times made the somewhat radical suggestion o' having a variable villain/antagonist/obstacle. have early game choices result in one o' multiple complete different antagonists being the UBG for the player's game would be a significant departure from the current story-driven scheme.  imagine a poe wherein early choices would alter complete the villain.  for example, thaos, lady webb, and iovara could be distinct ultimate antagonists for a reimagined poe.  developer would be able to retain optional side quests with only slight variations, but the critical path would diverge into distinct paths at some early point.  with a bit o' creativity, the developer could utilize the same critical path maps for much different antagonists, but the stories would be genuine unique. from a practical pov, such a game would need be shorter.  is only so many developer resources and Gromnir is suggesting multiple critical path development.  even so, am thinking it is axiomatic that if you want more choice in a story-driven game, you need accept more abbreviated critical paths, or significant reduced optional side quests. 

regardless, deadfire is gonna be story-driven and will likely have a similar % o' optional and tangential side questing as did poe.  as such, one should not expect a dramatic change in meaningful choice 'tween poe and deadfire.  developers will do what they can to increase the illusion o' choice, but is only so much they can do in a story driven game.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

That said Falout NV had a wonderful element of choosing your “nemesis” during your playthrough, rather than having one given to you.

I hope the statue of Caed Nua will be enough of a story hook, and Onsidian will once again find out place in the story and world they created by our own, rather than force it on us.

“Reactivity” is an odd thing, as my satisfaction with it, doesn’t come from actual reactivity of the game. Witcher2 and Tyranny had plenty of reactivity, with first one having two second chapters for you depending on your choices, and 2nd one, adjusting your playthrough to four major story variations, depending on act1. And yet, both felt underwhelming as, beside those big moments, the experience felt much more driven and less “roleplayee” than more structured but consistently flexible RPG does.

There are multiple mechanics which suggest a fair deal of freedom and reactivity (factions, relationship system, freedom to explore) but how flexible the world will be can be judged once game is released.

I'm hoping is more unlinear than Tyranny.. but that doesn't mean it will be.

I suppose this would be the wrong place to ask as we are all fanboys of Obsidian here :)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hey im curious to wonder if choices made through out the game alter how the game plays out? Such as possibility of different end game bosses depending on any choice players make? Like if you could join faction A and have a different game outcome opposed if you sided with faction B. So on and so forth.

I guess PoE1 gives a big hint.

Think more Fallout: New Vegas.

• Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Yes good answer. Of course you may choose factions and get allies and rewards and possible enemies according to them.

In the big gain of the view sometimes you don't have much choice either you get eaten by somethings or you are doomed if you don't fight or you get simply attacked no matter what diplomacy you might try.

I think PoE1 did it well and PoE1 had great story and I consider it as an excellent game though not perfect in my taste. The only personal issue I have with PoE1 is it is based loosely  (not exactly) on 4th edition Dungeon Dragons rules then changes to them and I think 4th Edition Dungeon Dragons rules is the worst released Dungerons Dragons version out there. Despite that with third party sweetfx for extra shader effects and more colors I rate Pillars of Eternity 9.25/10 as excellent game!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping is more unlinear than Tyranny.. but that doesn't mean it will be.

I suppose this would be the wrong place to ask as we are all fanboys of Obsidian here :)

Tyranny was linear?

Tyranny felt very constrained. Oddly the ambition to create multiple “realities” led to really constrained storytelling. All decision making was made in ACT1 and rest of the game was watching your choices play out. In act1 you made a decision which highly restrained path you want to follow and you follow it, with the only option being jumping to track 4 (chaos storyline).

Tyranny is highly reactive but your decision making is happening for 1/4 of the game only, making it feel more “linear” than a more evenly spread experience.

• Like 3

PoE actually handled it's main quest line prettly straight forward. 

I wish we have more options in differents chapters for PoE2.

Take wastland 2 , for exemple. I could ally with the bad guys and turn against the rangers.

Edited by Taurus

PoE actually handled it's main quest line prettly straight forward. 

I wish we have more options in differents chapters for PoE2.

Take wastland 2 , for exemple. I could ally with the bad guys and turn against the rangers.

Maybe bad example? You had those choices in Defiance Bay. Stories also need constants, using that choice for the ultimate villain wouldn't make as much sense in Pillars.

• Like 1

I had choices but they did not matter that much other than on the ending game slides.

What I mean by choices is something that will have direct impact in gameplay. 

So in Defience bay I had some choices of saying wheter I liked anymancy or I think it should be banned. DId any of those changed the way Taos acted? No. 

Towards the game, what If i agree with him? The game does not even give me that option. 

TBH, the whole early Lord of a Barren Land quest chain has more diverse options and outcomes than the main quest line.

• Like 1

I agree that if you desire some option that is beyond the scope of the game, you're left wanting.

As far as Defiance Bay goes, I'm talking about which faction you align with, which leads to significantly different experience over that section of the game. It's always a trade off though, I think the further you get into a series the more you can play with multiple endings. Otherwise you might have to canonize certain one's early on to trim back the combinatorics of story progression. Maybe that's fine by you, to experience your desired ending, then have the sequel assume another. I guess that's quite realistic since some decisions are self-terminating.

I personally am more into the journey than the destination, so that colors my opinions here. But I also enjoy devs telling a story to the player and getting to open ended can hurt the narrative. I really do want more choices with drastic impacts along the way in Deadfire, there weren't enough in my opinion.

• Like 1

Sawyer hinted that you can side with Eothas this time around though. I do believe this time things'll play out as Taurus says, which, tbh, is what I expect from every rpg I play. That said, if story, choices in general and final slides are good I can overlook this bar lowering regarding roleplay.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1