Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Movie Thread Returns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
553 replies to this topic

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 848 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Yeah, I was joking, but people really lob such accusations at them. That's why they make fun of it in many reviews. Especially the DC ones. :)

injurai

injurai

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I really enjoyed Infinity War, I've noticed a trend with my favorite Marvel films.

The Winter Solider
Civil War
Infinity War

Those Russo Brothers man... good stuff.

My family thought it was too heavy on the action, with not enough exposition. Normally I'd agree, but I saw it as the culmination of a bunch of personal developments across a variety of films.

I think this was dealing with the most profound subject matter out of all of the films as well.

Spoiler

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2605 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
Yeah, the Russos know how to make a good action movie. Their close-combat sequences are particularly satisfying. Looking forward to what they can do when Marvel releases them, if ever.
  • injurai likes this

Fiach

Fiach

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
Went to Infinity War last night, wouldn't be my cup of tea normally, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some laugh out loud moments juxtaposed with some rather dark themes, but they blended well.

The fact that the ending isn't the end, it being part of a trilogy, annoyed me at first, but I enjoyed the movie and I'm not bothered if I see the other 2 parts really, not exactly waiting with baited breath.

Going to Quiet Place on Sunday.

Entebbe looks interesting, more my cup of tea really, but advance word is disappointing.

injurai

injurai

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It's part of a trilogy? Isn't it just two parts? Or is Captain Marvel being factored in?

edit: Looks like Captain Marvel is more the culmination of the Agents of Shield stuff against the Kree. Pretty sure Infinity War is just a two parter.

edit2: Actually CM takes place in the 1990s and Ant-Man two takes place before Infinity War. Interesting... I wasn't expecting that. I guess Infinity War is also over, there is no part 2. The next Avenger's is currently untitled to avoid plot spoilers of Infinity War. Very interesting...

Edited by injurai, 10 May 2018 - 10:34 AM.

Fiach

Fiach

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts

It's part of a trilogy? Isn't it just two parts? Or is Captain Marvel being factored in?

edit: Looks like Captain Marvel is more the culmination of the Agents of Shield stuff against the Kree. Pretty sure Infinity War is just a two parter.

edit2: Actually CM takes place in the 1990s and Ant-Man two takes place before Infinity War. Interesting... I wasn't expecting that. I guess Infinity War is also over, there is no part 2. The next Avenger's is currently untitled to avoid plot spoilers of Infinity War. Very interesting...

Dunno mate, when I was a bit disappointed with the ending, my son said he thought it was part of a trilogy, don't know for certain to be honest :)

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 8989 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Rented SW Last Jedi.

Maybe I was just in the right mood, but most of the humor bits struck the right chord with me and I chuckled a fair bit. It was silly stuff ofc, but still made me laugh. The red-haired evil fleet commander was more comical than menacing to me as well, I kept snorting in amusement every time he was on-screen - was that on purpose?

The plot stuff just felt like more recycling, although it worked better than in the movie before this one. Still, it's kind of like watching the (older, and maybe reboots too) Star Trek movies at this point, where it's always the same plotline, contrivances, threats. Instead of time-travel, "only ship in the quadrant," etc. you have the evil empire constantly just about to "stamp out those pesky Rebels", Force "balance," "there's good in him I know it!" "I failed as a teacher" and so on. So...yawn.  (edit - the side-filler journey to find the "codebreaker" was kinda awful, for many reasons)

But it was better executed than prequels or Force Awakens so more enjoyable as light entertainment. Too many characters tho, meaning not enough focus on what should be main interest leads. And I can't take it seriously anymore like when I was 9-14, so it's just this humorous space-fantasy yarn. And in that capacity, it was pretty much all right. Certainly beats those prequels by 100 miles anyway.

2nd Edit: ^ I should mention that while I enjoyed it on a light level, this did not prevent me from checking the 'net on my phone a few times while watching, however.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 11 May 2018 - 01:07 AM.

Ben No.3

Ben No.3

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 528 posts

At 0:37/38, that’s definitely Karl Marx hanging there on the wall.

Edited by Ben No.3, 11 May 2018 - 02:01 AM.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4585 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I quite enjoyed Avengers Infinity War. I found it to be better than the Joss Whedon ones.
  • injurai likes this

Guard Dog

Guard Dog

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 582 posts

Sounds the the premiere crowd like the Han Solo movie: https://www.usatoday...ions/601078002/

injurai

injurai

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1996 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I've never heard the premiere crowd not like a movie.

Serrano

Serrano

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In the comics,

Spoiler

Nope, you can probably imagine what happened after that fairly accurately.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1234 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5100 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Closed for length. See the new thread at a theater near you (if you're using your smartphone to browse the Obsidian forums before your movie starts, that is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users