Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Movie Thread Returns

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
553 replies to this topic

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Looks like it is the same group that handled the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies. I guess that fits, at least the Pig Cops will look good. It really would work best as an absurd comedy.

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1384 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

One of the weirdest bits of news regarding the Oscars announcement is that Kobe Bryant is now an Oscar-nominated filmmaker, thanks to his short film Dear Basketball.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I don't think I'll ever watch another dinosaur/Jurassic movie. I mean I wasn't even all that enraptured of the first one, but that original t-rex water glass moment will always be the pinnacle for me, seen in a big theater with floor and seat shaking bass. But it's gotten to the point these days where I'm pretty sick of any animated/CGI dinosaurs/dragons/enemies in film/games. They all have exactly the same hind quarters/butt/tail and movesets as the t-rex or raptors in Jurassic and it's visually dull now. At least in a game you get to sword-stomp them.

Yes, I know, how else would you draw them, but you know what I mean. ;p

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

No spoilers, it's just the open credit music/art sequence. The more I think about this movie, the better I like it. Not as some classic, but ... I'm still chuckling over certain bits this morning. Plus theme/credits is a lot of fun. Oh and if you haven't seen it, don't watch the trailer. It shows half the movie in there.

Edited by LadyCrimson, 23 January 2018 - 02:06 PM.

kellyon

kellyon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
The Danish Girl 8/10

Wonderful movie. Alicia Vikander was the star in it for me, she made me really feel for her all the way through and brought me to tears at the end.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2373 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Tom Hanks to Play Mr. Rogers In Biopic ‘You Are My Friend’

This has the potential of being one of the best roles cast of all time.

• Leferd and redneckdevil like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Here's the article that the screenplay is based off.

http://www.esquire.c...y-hero-esq1198/

The man is a saint.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
You know, I liked Get Out but as a decent run-of-the-mill horror film. It was good at what it did, but it didn't do anything new or interesting. So why the oscar noms? That smells political to me.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Saw "Gantz:0" via Netflix. It's an anime film based on a long manga. I can't say I actually liked it, it was too truncated (considering its vast source material) but for some reason I kept on watching. The violent visuals were quite astounding at times, a few of the chrs. were intriguing despite there being almost no characterization and it had a setup concept that kept me wondering where it would end up. But the actual ending had me scrambling on the 'net to figure out what the heck it was. Even then, I don't think I could explain it clearly myself.

• redneckdevil likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You know, I liked Get Out but as a decent run-of-the-mill horror film. It was good at what it did, but it didn't do anything new or interesting. So why the oscar noms? That smells political to me.

I haven't seen it, but it rather timely given current racial tensions in the US. Thay may be political, but credit is deserved for reading the pulse and reacting to it promptly.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9163 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's a send-a-message nod. I think its odds of actually winning Best Picture are almost zero.

I also liked Get Out, it was rather amusing and more intelligent than most films of its genre, but getting an Oscar nom. or calling it one of the years Top 10 best or whatever is over-rating it way too much. 

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Howl's Moving Castle. I really thought I wasn't gonna like it for the first five, ten minutes. Cheesy as all heck, a kind of confusing and maybe not as well-defined plot as the other Ghibli movies I've seen so far, and the animation style wasn't really all to my tastes...but it was actually still pretty great even accounting for those problems. I'd put it right up there with Nausicaa or maybe even a little above. It did feel a little more...American-ized than the other Ghibli movies I've seen, but I can't quite put my finger on why. That's not necessarily a negative, but it's not necessarily a positive, either.

Amentep

Amentep

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 5249 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I wonder if what you see as 'americanized' is the result of the movie being an adaption of a UK children's novel?

I haven't seen Howl yet, but expect it to feel different being an adaption from an English language story.
  • Bartimaeus and injurai like this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts

I haven't seen it, but it rather timely given current racial tensions in the US. Thay may be political, but credit is deserved for reading the pulse and reacting to it promptly.
Token sympathy noms for such a mediocre film because you're terrified of another "no black directors" backlash like they had before is not really feeling the pulse. It's more like putting a children's smilwy face bandaid on the scar where you cut the wrist before, then telling everyone it's fine with a fake smile on a pale face as they watch you bleed out from a dozen open gashes next to it.

That analogy got away from me somewhere.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

I wonder if what you see as 'americanized' is the result of the movie being an adaption of a UK children's novel?

I haven't seen Howl yet, but expect it to feel different being an adaption from an English language story.

I didn't know that about it - that might be it. The dialogue pacing feels very different from the other Ghibli movies I've seen (which I actually kind of like), but on the other hand, it feels like some connecting scenes were missing, leading to characters acting a little...odd at times. Furthermore, the final quarter of the movie was pretty Disney-esque, which I was actually surprised (and a little disappointed) by, as none of the other Ghibli movies I've seen had been. Great first half, but not quite as great second half, I guess.

• algroth likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The casting is good but the movie looks like dung. It will probably flop.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2700 posts

Yeah, that's a viral australian tourism ad.

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3104 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The casting is good but the movie looks like dung. It will probably flop.

Thought the same about Jumanji remarked/sequel/reboot and its swimming in money. I just don’t know anymore.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 9103 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Danny McBride can turn a turd into comedy gold better than anyone. I mean, it will still be a turd, but it will be funny.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
True lol

Danny Mcbride, Hugh Jackman, Margot Robbie, Ruby Rose, Liam Hemworth, Chris Hemsworth and more..

• Hurlshot likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users