The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Meg is like Deep Blue Sea meets Jaws... (Jason Statham, Ruby Rose, Li BingBing)

Future World is the Mad Max we never got but always wanted... (James Franco, Milla Jojavitch, Suki WaterHowse)

https://youtu.be/af1pOlHr0sE

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Road Warrior and Mad Max were good, Thunderdome was bad and Fury Road was okay but lacked giving us insight to the intense Mad Max personality (just my opinion) probably because they're wasn't much lines and Tom Hardy was nearly emotionless in it. That was my only disengagement to the film. Character designs were good, story ultimately lacking.

James Franco seems to be almost Joker like in a way for this act but I would expect that quality to be inside Mad Max anyway.

Here are a couple other trailers:

Terminal... (Margot Robbie)

The First Purge... (Marisa Toemi)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Road Warrior and Mad Max were good, Thunderdome was bad and Fury Road was okay but lacked giving us insight to the intense Mad Max personality (just my opinion) probably because they're wasn't much lines and Tom Hardy was nearly emotionless in it. That was my only disengagement to the film. Character designs were good, story ultimately lacking.

The story was pretty great and rather interesting from a thematic/ideological standpoint, it was simply told through the action rather than the dialogue as such (likewise I think Hardy expresses a lot through his sheer physicality, which is as good and visual a medium as any). But certainly Max wasn't the important character in it - he was mostly the vehicle through which we saw Furiosa's story unravel instead. But that's really been the series ever since the first film, which I would add probably gives us all we need to know about the character as well.

With regards to that trailer, I never go into a film starring James Franco expecting much out of him. Far as I'm concerned he always rings false to me, like he's usually trying to follow a certain clique or other. I don't expect something very different of this film, the trailer feels very cheap and cheesy, it has none of the Fellini-esque operatic grandeur than Fury Road does and in turn it all feels just a little old-hat and bland. But hey, I always enjoy a surprise.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 2

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Man, that last Star Wars movie was complete garbage, imo. I didn't liked The Force Awakens, because I found it extremely stupid to introduce yet another Death Star... oh wait, it's a Star Killer now... but heck, compared to The Last Jedi, this movie was actually good.

The story now is complete BS with the rebel ship "flying away" and the big imperial ship nor any other of their ships being able to keep up, and their weapons do no damage on that distance, and the gambling planet thing, and how General Leia has her magic space moment (srsly, just either kill her off or have her get in safety before crap blows up). This "showdown" at the end was so bad, I was facepalming all the time. So many imperial walkers and fighters and they are unable to take down the rusty old rebel gliders(?) and how everyone just stands around, watching while important crap happens.... ugh, I can go on and on, it just pisses me off.

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan, yet I still watched all of em movies at least once. With this one... I just couldn't stop facepalming. Well, now let's see if that Solo movie will be any good...

/Edit: About Fury Road above. I loved that movie. Watched it couple times and it's great. It's feeling different than the original movies, but it's a fresh take that was needed, imo. Think about it, we also could have ended up with some sort of Indiana Jones Crystal Skull-esque movie instead. THIS would have been real crap.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 4

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

...The Solo movie? The one that looks like the worst one yet (excepting the prequels) that also had a media circus for its problems? ...Yeah, don't be too optimistic there.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

...The Solo movie? The one that looks like the worst one yet (excepting the prequels) that also had a media circus for its problems? ...Yeah, don't be too optimistic there.

The Red Letter Media guys got me excited for it with this video

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well, as I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I'm not exactly "hot" on it anyway. I'll watch it once the DVD / BluRay is out and then that's it.

PS:

Future World is the Mad Max we never got but always wanted... (James Franco, Milla Jojavitch, Suki WaterHowse)

lolno. From the trailer I'm taking it'll be a mediocre movie at best. As it'll feature Milla Jovovich, I'm going as far to say that it probably will be something like the Resident Evil movies, which are pretty much garbage as well.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The Red Letter Media guys got me excited for it with this video

Yeah, that's one great. My favorite Star Wars video of theirs, though, is actually the utterly asinine "Vader's armor description" video that I cannot believe is a real thing.

I cannot believe the patently ridiculous crap these authors have written about something that very obviously never needed any explanation. Some of this stuff just sounds like really, really bad fanfiction. or tl;dw: vader's every waking moment is a living hell

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, that's one great. My favorite Star Wars video of theirs, though, is actually the utterly asinine "Vader's armor description" video that I cannot believe is a real thing.

I cannot believe the patently ridiculous crap these authors have written about something that very obviously never needed any explanation. Some of this stuff just sounds like really, really bad fanfiction. or tl;dw: vader's every waking moment is a living hell

There's one surprising thing though, considering Mike's love for Star Trek it's strange to see him make fun of the technobabble that much. Not that I disagree with that video - I laughed a good bit when they released it.

And yeah, I'm that someone for whom that stuff means something dear Rich Evans. /SW nerd

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, as I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I'm not exactly "hot" on it anyway. I'll watch it once the DVD / BluRay is out and then that's it.

PS:

lolno. From the trailer I'm taking it'll be a mediocre movie at best. As it'll feature Milla Jovovich, I'm going as far to say that it probably will be something like the Resident Evil movies, which are pretty much garbage as well.

I hope you watch it someday and let us know what you think.

I actually kinda liked Super Mario Bros. in its weird, trashy ways. Always wanted to see a followup movie. :>

Resident Evil, though.... I just remember how this one movie ended with a million Milla clones, and then in the next movie they get rid of all of them within the first 5 minutes in a really crappy CGI way. To me, this defines exactly what these movies are. They just worked through a bunch of ideas, without knowing where to go with it in the end. :>

Resident Evil is a dumb set of film.  But enjoyably dumb, IMO.

Super Mario Bros is one of those films that are a terrible adaption, but kind of fun if taken as its own thing.  Not really a great film whichever way you slice it - it feels like a film that's been pulled in myriad directions (which it was), but it is enjoyable if you get past the "not really a Mario adaption".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I might be going out on a limb here... But I actually quite enjoyed both attempts at doing a Hitman film.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Eh, I was being facetious as I thought we were trying to name increasingly 'worse' video-game adaptations. I think Super Mario Bros. is pretty terrible myself, but at the very least it's *interesting* in some regard, something cannot really be said about any other video-game adaptation I recall watching.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I might be going out on a limb here... But I actually quite enjoyed both attempts at doing a Hitman film.

You are a terrible person.
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Egads, its easy to miss how many video games have been made into movies until you start trying to add them up in your head.

• Super Mario Bros. (an entertaining disaster of a film)
  • Double Dragon (only saw the last 20 minutes of it.  In Spanish.  Seemed weird.)
  • Street Fighter (Campy nonsense)
  • Mortal Kombat (A decent adaption of the source material for the most part)
  • Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (how not to make a film; wastes the goodwill of the earlier film and the source material)
  • Wing Commander (sort of a paint by the numbers space battle movie - to be honest I can't remember much about it anymore)
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (Lara Croft and the boring people around her in a 90 minute adventure about some stuff)
  • Resident Evil (Over the top film with only a passing resemblance to the source material)
  • House of the Dead (kind of so bad its good.  Loved the bit where it literally takes 20 minutes of screen time for a group of characters to walk at best 10 feet)
  • Resident Evil: Apocalypse (over the top, no real connection)
  • Alone in the Dark (ugh)
  • BloodRayne (you'd think I'd have known better - actually I was sort of dragged to see this)
  • Silent Hill (differs from the game, but I thought it captured aspects of the game pretty well and was a compelling story on its own)
  • DOA: Dead or Alive (only has a passing resemblance to the source game, but is an ok-if-unremarkable Enter the Dragon clone of a movie)
  • Resident Evil: Extinction (doing its own thing)
  • Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (Nash out; kinda so bad its good)
  • Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (I'm not sure its a good adaption of the game, but it was a pretty fun movie.  Like the banter between the leads)
  • Resident Evil: Afterlife (yup still going)
  • Resident Evil: Retribution (And more...although I admit I could probably watch Milla shoot zombies all day)
  • Silent Hill: Revelation (Adapts the third game to a certain degree; still deviates from the games but makes a solid follow-up to the earlier film)
  • Warcraft (they really needed either more time to tell the stories of the large cast in ways that made sense, or narrow the focus of the film)
  • Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (and I think there's now enough hours I COULD watch Milla shoot zombies all day!)
  • Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (kinda ok space fantasy with an obvious twist, but not really a final fantasy feel to it)
  • Angry Birds Movie (Ok, I laughed)
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (do not see why people love this film.  Terrible)

I can still look forward to seeing:

• Lara Croft: The Cradle of Life
  • Tomb Raider
  • Rampage
  • Doom
  • Postal (hahah, I'm never watching this one)
  • Hitman
  • In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
  • Far Cry (probably won't see this either)
  • Max Payne
  • Tekken
  • Need for Speed
  • Hitman: Agent 47
  • Assassin's Creed
  • A boatload of Pokemon films
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker
  • Dozens of other animated films based on games in Japan (like Persona 3)

And we all have the joy of looking forward to (if they complete production):

• The untitled Mario Film
  • Dragon's Lair: The Movie
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • Detective Pikachu
  • Legend of the Ancient Sword
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Uncharted
  • A bunch more animated films
  • Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man