The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Tomb Raider 2018 - I liked it. V does a good job and  asn  action movie it does its job. I don't find it better or worse than the Jolie one. They both bring their differing strengths and 'attributes' (*ahem*) to the role. I thought the villain was really good in an otherwise thankless role.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Anaconda 2004

+ Good/ok actors.

+ Fairly realistic

+ Scary and has Horror.

+ Interesting Jungle environment and water environment.

+ ok effects.

-It is good but not a super movie.

My Vote: 8/10 very good movie!

Edited by Terminator

Hm, so Villeneuve is saying he's going to be adapting Dune over at least two, potentially more films.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched <<The Death of Stalin>>, some idle observations:

1. While the casting was strong already, Michael Palin (whom every Python fan worth his or her salt knows is the best in the group) was what really brought me on board. Of course one can't watch something with Palin involving the Soviet Union without thinking of a certain Monty Python sketch:

2. Thanks to this movie, I now can't picture Georgy Zhukov speaking _without_ a Yorkshire accent. On that note...

3. In spite of rather positive reactions from Russian film critics the movie nonetheless got banned in Russia with one of the reasons stated being "Marshal Zhukov is portrayed as an idiot," which gives me the impression that the censors didn't even bother watching the flick, as he's probably the most likable, competent, and morally upright character in the film (participation in ostensible coup d'etat notwithstanding, though nobody is going to lose sleep over the victim)

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hm, so Villeneuve is saying he's going to be adapting Dune over at least two, potentially more films.

Good ****! Seriously one of the densest pieces of literature I've ever read, it needs the room to breath. Unlike those mal-adaptions of The Hobbit.

Good ****! Seriously one of the densest pieces of literature I've ever read, it needs the room to breath. Unlike those mal-adaptions of The Hobbit.

I honestly thing the best way to adapt Dune's story is to take the series and turn it into a full blown TV series that gets the Expanse/Game of Thrones treatment. That said, I'd be willing to take even a decent Dune movies at this point.

• Like 1

Well, that article says guardians 2 got a score of 100/100, and that movie was a boring turd, imo. :>

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Hopefully they are terrible.  At this point the mistreatment of the franchise is entertaining to me :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hopefully they are terrible.  At this point the mistreatment of the franchise is entertaining to me :)

ZWHbEcx.gif

I need it to be good.

• Like 3

For the callback...

io9 - Young Sherlock Holmes was Harry Potter before Harry Potter

In an English boarding school housed within a gothic castle, where students dine and whisper among long candlelit tables set in great halls, three young students—two boys and a girl—are drawn together to solve a mystery involving the dark arts. One of the boys, the leader, is already infamous among his classmates, destined for great things; he draws the ire of an icy-blond rich kid who becomes his easily bested foe. The other is a reluctant adventurer, although he is unflappably loyal and a reliable source of comic relief. They’re mentored by a lovable bearded eccentric, though the adults who scoff at their investigations force them to become self-reliant, snooping around libraries and crowded shops for clues. They do battle with various ghostly apparitions, and eventually, it is revealed that one of their professors, in service to a dark master, was the villain all along. Along the way, this preternaturally gifted boy at story’s center meets his archnemesis, taking his first step along a path of lifelong adventure.

• Like 1

Should have been a boring warning.  But they chose a good song, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Insidious: The Last Key

Decent story, but it's so incompetently directed its camera work made me dizzy. Sad, but I guess this franchise managed to stay decent for longer than most with two mostly great entries and one decent before becoming complete tripe.

Tomb Raider is the first movie I walked out of this year.

In the video game, Lara Croft had never been captured for too long. She was waging a one-woman guerilla survival warfare on an army of ruthless men. No man was able to catch or corner her for more than a few minutes. She was very slippery. She was lightning fast, and even her enemies mentioned that she was "too quick". If she had been captured for too long, there was no doubt in my mind that she would have been raped by the gang of shipwrecked mercenaries, murderers, outlaws, pirates and slavers who had not seen or touched a woman in many years.

Yet, in the movie, she was captured and held as a prisoner for more than a day; and the men did not gang-raped her at the first chance they got. That was just ridiculous. I am not saying that I wanted to see Alicia Vikander get brutally and violently gang-raped on screen, but the stupid screenwriters should have never written Lara into that corner - because once Lara got captured, the inevitable outcome would be a gang rape. Instead, those men just moved her from one location to another without touching her. Seriously? Those mercenaries, murderers, outlaws, pirates and slavers, who were shipwrecked and trapped on an island for years, had not seen or touched a woman in years, and they did not rape the first woman they came across - and beautiful one at that - at the first chance they got!??

That was when I walked out. At that point, it just became impossible for me to suspend my disbelief. (I went to the 7:30PM show; and I walked out at around 8:40PM.)

Edited by ktchong

I finally got a chance to see Downfall. It was an excellent movie.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Something had me thinking about Lucky Number Slevin this morning, and then I saw it in a charity store this afternoon so I picked it up and re-watched it.

I do think that while it has some flaws, it's vastly underrated and should be much better known than it is. One of those films I wish I could forget watching just so I could experience all the twists and reveal fresh.

Josh Harnett as the lead, Bruce Willis as a mysterious world-class assassin, Sir Ben Kingsley and Morgan Freeman as rival crime bosses, with Lucy Liu and Stanley Tucci fleshing out the supporting cast.

Has a nice amount of clever banter and dialogue back and forth, with a tightly written script about mistaken identity and revenge.

Slevin: This isn't the first time this has happened, you know.

Lindsey: You mean this isn't the first time a crime lord asked you to kill the gay son of a rival gangster to pay off a debt that belongs to a friend whose place you're staying in as a result of losing your job, your apartment, and finding your girlfriend in bed with another guy?

Slevin: No, this is the first time THAT happened, but Nick has been painting me into corners since we were kids.

• Like 1

Seriously? Those mercenaries, murderers, outlaws, pirates and slavers, who were shipwrecked and trapped on an island for years, had not seen or touched a woman in years, and they did not rape the first woman they came across - and beautiful one at that - at the first chance they got!??

That was when I walked out. At that point, it just became impossible for me to suspend my disbelief. 

I have to admit, "movie had less rape in it than I wanted, 0/10 ruined forever" is pretty original as far as cinematic critique goes.

• Like 8

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Yeah. I watched Tomb raider too. I enjoyed it overall but its share of flaws. But, never once did I think to myself that it be better if only it had more rape scenes.... WTF.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.