The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Tried watching The Sum of All Fears but got bored after 20 minutes. :/

If that's the one from the early 2000's ... this is generally how I feel about 98% of Ben Affleck movies. He has such a bland presence, for me. :disguise:  Although Morgan Freeman is always nice to see.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I heard that some really bad movies uses full frontal nudity to distract from how bad the movie is.

This is surprisingly true of the latest del Toro movie Shape of Water.

Everyone is bad except Octavia Spencer. Main plot is so classic the mold and dust are choking, subplots not going anywhere and the villian is one child abuse short of compilation of all vices in the world.

How this bland, unimaginative, boring crap is an oscar nominee is beyond me.

It is nothing wrong with nudity and I am pro prostitution and prostitution is legal in my country.

However you are correct many also lower budget movies use nudity. Well true some movies with nudity are bad but the nudity does not make them bad. I have seen good and bad movies with nudity.

I did recently see Daylight's End (2016) and it was my taste. 5.3/10 currently on IMDB but for me it was 8/10. It has both Action and Horror... and certainly enough Action. In addition also coolness.... if you know you are going to die anyway why not go out in style in one last grand battle... oh and that is spoiler see the movie and see if anyone of them survives. That movie has no nudity but it is more like an Action movie then a Horror movie.

Edited by Terminator

I really liked The Shape of Water. I think the most interesting part of the movie though was the culture of the research lab. Both of the janitorial staff, the Director, the researchers. Just how it was so stepped in war-time hysteria, how each person was trying to pursue their vision of life outside of work. How those life values then played out at work. The whole romance plot-line and sci-fi always seemed more embedded in this large commentary. Which included the Russians, etc. Then off course there was the artistic language of the film which was largely retro-neuvo.

It's the only best picture nomination that I've seen however.

I was of two minds with regards to The Shape of Water. I really disliked the Amélie-brand whimsy through most of the film, and feel like many of the "minority struggle" snippets seemed altogether too content with simply tossing platitudes about than actually making an interesting point about racism, homophobia and so on; likewise I also felt the film rushed its setup and felt like the bonding between Elisa and the asset came about too quickly and smoothly to generate much for me. But once the setup is done with and things relaxed by the second act, the scenes were given a chance to breathe and allow the characters to build some chemistry with eachother, and it is ultimately their interactions with one another that really kept me hooked. That and, as always, Del Toro's rather unique eye. I liked it overall but it's not one of my favorites from him (my fave still remains Cronos).

Re: nudity, Sally Hawkins gets naked a couple of times and Strickland's wife shows a breat at some point. I didn't find it at all distracting, or particularly notable or relevant really.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

There was nudity in that movie? It can't have been too distracting since I don't remember it.

Hehee maybe because you have Red Light district in Amsterdam that you did not pay attention to that. Your profile states Holland Europe. Ah I certainly did not meant that as an insult. In my country Finland (north east Europe) prostitution is legal but not so visible or common as in example in Germany. Amsterdam is also known for roses and culture and the list goes on as reasons for popular tourist visitation place.

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (2012)

SCIFI Action movie .... based on the computer /console XBOX game Halo...  or rather as an introduction how it all started and the start of it.

+ Ok actors.

+ Ok effects...

+ It does have feelings like honor, duty etc.

+ Beautiful women.

+ Action.

+ War, but is it so simple as you might believe? See and see how plot unfolds...

+ Drama who if any will survive?

- Some of the actors specially in the beginning feels a bit to young like young teenagers take some time to get fond of them but the more it continues you understand how important roles they have preparing and training to be ready for war.

- the story is not super since it is based on a video game franchise, but still fairly ok simply don't watch it witch expectation of super movie.

My vote: 8/10 very good movie.

Edited by Terminator

Death Wish 2018- Entertaining remake. Not as quippy as the previews suggest especially sicne kost of the 'quips' are in the previews.  Best aprt of the fi;lm is all the SJWs crying over it - epsicially humourous sicne the movie takes not so subtle jabs at Ameirkan gun culture. :p

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There was nudity in that movie? It can't have been too distracting since I don't remember it.

A little bit, probably less than 1% of screen time and not as memorable as the singing bit. It could be cut out and the film would pretty much be the same, but I guess some people lose their **** at the sight of a tit.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Huh Kobe Bryant won an Oscar.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tried watching The Sum of All Fears but got bored after 20 minutes. :/

If that's the one from the early 2000's ... this is generally how I feel about 98% of Ben Affleck movies. He has such a bland presence, for me. :disguise:  Although Morgan Freeman is always nice to see.

Yeah, it's that one. There was also a video game adaptation of the movie which didn't fare any better.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I know it only be reputation, but I'm pretty sure the film you reference is Amphibian Man (Человеκ-aмфибия) based on a book by the same name; "The Sea Devil" was the hit song from it.

From the sound of it to me, and I haven't see it either, The Shape of Water is one part Amphibian Man, one part Creature of the Black Lagoon (or more specifically, Revenge of the Creature where the Creature falls for a girl, albeit with less romantic results).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Amphibian Man movie - and again I know of the movie and the book but haven't seen or read them - has been accused of having a Romeo and Juliet doomed romance; I don't know if that carries over from the book or not. 

Arguably girl-loves-"monster" as a concept can be traced back to at least La Belle et la Bête for fiction, but of course there are earlier folk tales that could be considered antecedents as well...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah but Hellboy 2 wasn't just about the fish man lovin'.

There was also the demon guy's relationship problems with the pyrokinetic woman and the new boss who was having trouble controlling his employees.

And the evil elf dude trying to loose an unstoppable army on the world bit.

:)

• Like 1

True, but I can easily understand this as a 'this is what I really wanted to do with that' project. I mean, stealing fish man falls in love is an easy sell. Stealing Abe Sapien falls in love including details such as his proclivity for eggs, bit too specific. :p