The Movie Thread Returns

Amentep

Saw "Gantz:0" via Netflix. It's an anime film based on a long manga. I can't say I actually liked it, it was too truncated (considering its vast source material) but for some reason I kept on watching. The violent visuals were quite astounding at times, a few of the chrs. were intriguing despite there being almost no characterization and it had a setup concept that kept me wondering where it would end up. But the actual ending had me scrambling on the 'net to figure out what the heck it was. Even then, I don't think I could explain it clearly myself.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know, I liked Get Out but as a decent run-of-the-mill horror film. It was good at what it did, but it didn't do anything new or interesting. So why the oscar noms? That smells political to me.

I haven't seen it, but it rather timely given current racial tensions in the US. Thay may be political, but credit is deserved for reading the pulse and reacting to it promptly.

You know, I liked Get Out but as a decent run-of-the-mill horror film. It was good at what it did, but it didn't do anything new or interesting. So why the oscar noms? That smells political to me.

It's a send-a-message nod. I think its odds of actually winning Best Picture are almost zero.

I also liked Get Out, it was rather amusing and more intelligent than most films of its genre, but getting an Oscar nom. or calling it one of the years Top 10 best or whatever is over-rating it way too much. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Howl's Moving Castle. I really thought I wasn't gonna like it for the first five, ten minutes. Cheesy as all heck, a kind of confusing and maybe not as well-defined plot as the other Ghibli movies I've seen so far, and the animation style wasn't really all to my tastes...but it was actually still pretty great even accounting for those problems. I'd put it right up there with Nausicaa or maybe even a little above. It did feel a little more...American-ized than the other Ghibli movies I've seen, but I can't quite put my finger on why. That's not necessarily a negative, but it's not necessarily a positive, either.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I wonder if what you see as 'americanized' is the result of the movie being an adaption of a UK children's novel?

I haven't seen Howl yet, but expect it to feel different being an adaption from an English language story.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I haven't seen it, but it rather timely given current racial tensions in the US. Thay may be political, but credit is deserved for reading the pulse and reacting to it promptly.
Token sympathy noms for such a mediocre film because you're terrified of another "no black directors" backlash like they had before is not really feeling the pulse. It's more like putting a children's smilwy face bandaid on the scar where you cut the wrist before, then telling everyone it's fine with a fake smile on a pale face as they watch you bleed out from a dozen open gashes next to it.

That analogy got away from me somewhere.

I wonder if what you see as 'americanized' is the result of the movie being an adaption of a UK children's novel?

I haven't seen Howl yet, but expect it to feel different being an adaption from an English language story.

I didn't know that about it - that might be it. The dialogue pacing feels very different from the other Ghibli movies I've seen (which I actually kind of like), but on the other hand, it feels like some connecting scenes were missing, leading to characters acting a little...odd at times. Furthermore, the final quarter of the movie was pretty Disney-esque, which I was actually surprised (and a little disappointed) by, as none of the other Ghibli movies I've seen had been. Great first half, but not quite as great second half, I guess.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The casting is good but the movie looks like dung. It will probably flop.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

True lol

Danny Mcbride, Hugh Jackman, Margot Robbie, Ruby Rose, Liam Hemworth, Chris Hemsworth and more..

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It's a send-a-message nod. I think its odds of actually winning Best Picture are almost zero.

I also liked Get Out, it was rather amusing and more intelligent than most films of its genre, but getting an Oscar nom. or calling it one of the years Top 10 best or whatever is over-rating it way too much.

I haven't seen Get Out yet, but I feel the need to address the assumptions that the film's only nominated as a token entry in the Oscars, which I feel is simply false and a rather preposterous claim even. The film has repeatedly over the last few months been lauded as one of the greatest films of the year, so much so that it is currently the most awarded film of the year above the likes of every other nominee and former BP hopeful, according to RT's awards leaderboard. It's not just a random nom, it's one of the leading contenders and has been for months, and according to most I've spoken to rightly so as well. To leave it out would have been as preposterous as failing to award any of the other big players in the running this year, the likes of Lady Bird, Three Billboards or The Shape of Water, if not even more so. Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Critics are wrong. It's an okay horror movie. It shouldn't be listed among those others.

Critics, audiences, industry professionals...

I don't think you're not entitled to disagreeing with them, by the way. I'm just saying that viewing its nominations as a political move or tokenism when it's been one of the top contenders for months, and legitimately so, is wrong.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

Shape of Water is fantastic and I was surprised it got nominated, it's too good to be recognized by the academy.

And this is another comment I don't get in today's context. Back in the 90s or early 00s? Sure, the Oscars used to nominate some very dodgy stuff back then. But the films being nominated through the past five years have in their great majority been legitimate film of the year contenders, and are truly at their best since the 70s. This whole "Oscars suck" mentality feels weirdly out of sync with the latest years.

I didn't know that about it - that might be it. The dialogue pacing feels very different from the other Ghibli movies I've seen (which I actually kind of like), but on the other hand, it feels like some connecting scenes were missing, leading to characters acting a little...odd at times. Furthermore, the final quarter of the movie was pretty Disney-esque, which I was actually surprised (and a little disappointed) by, as none of the other Ghibli movies I've seen had been. Great first half, but not quite as great second half, I guess.

Yeah, that's quite a good way to sum it up for me. It's probably one of my least-favourite Miyazaki films, which is really not saying much since it still is very enjoyable and featuring a number of moments of sheer excellence, not to mention being as creative and visually striking as ever. i can't say I noticed much with regards to the dialogue pace but it's been years since I've seen it myself, and neither did I really feel the ending was too 'Disney', rather that, as you say, the thin connective tissue towards the end made it a feel a bit more jumbled and uneven. So which ones have you seen so far, Bart?

• Like 1

Shape of Water is fantastic and I was surprised it got nominated, it's too good to be recognized by the academy.

And this is another comment I don't get in today's context. Back in the 90s or early 00s? Sure, the Oscars used to nominate some very dodgy stuff back then. But the films being nominated through the past five years have in their great majority been legitimate film of the year contenders, and are truly at their best since the 70s. This whole "Oscars suck" mentality feels weirdly out of sync with the latest years.

I don't think the Oscars suck, it's just that Shape of Water has fanteesee stuff. Outside if Lord of the Rings, well... pretty much never stood a chance traditionally.