[Pax South 2018] : Mikey & The Blooper Girl Interview

Still Spring 2018 as launch date, according to Katrina, and it's clear that the combat flow is one major thing that they are working on (which certainly reflects tonnes of feedback on the backer beta subforums. I for one am keenly looking forward to the next Obsidian update. :yes:

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Theorically 31 March 2018

+

If Obsidian wants to sell games. They must increase the the sensation of speed. Main argument of those who do not like this type of game.

That's why casters are an heresy right now.

I was playing in slow mode, and I did well at the new pace.
Edited by theBalthazar

Mikey Dowling is such a cool cat and he was such a big help to me being a part of the backers (He helped me witb pledging - Deadfire was the first thing I back ever).

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm no journalist, but isn't it the custom to research whatever you're interviewing about? The guy in the Katrina interview lost focus and interest after hearing there were no multiplayer. 

As someone who used to work as a journalist, I can assure that yes, you MUST know what you're talking about before interviewing someone on cam. That was possibly the worst interview i ever saw. I feel bad for Obsidian because whenever I see them in interviews, the "journalists" seem clueless as to what type of game POE is.

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 1

I'm no journalist, but isn't it the custom to research whatever you're interviewing about? The guy in the Katrina interview lost focus and interest after hearing there were no multiplayer. 

As someone who used to work as a journalist, I can assure that yes, you MUST know what you're talking about before interviewing someone on cam. That was possibly the worst interview i ever saw. I feel bad for Obsidian because whenever I see them in interviews, the "journalists" seem clueless as to what type of game POE is.

I also worked as a eSports journalist for about a year a while back, and as a cameraman for an gaming channel for another year too, and my experience is that while knowing what you're talking about is the ideal situation, when you're covering conventions and the likes it's hard to prepare for *everything* you will cover there, as quite often you'll even be asked to cover things on the spot without prior plans of making said note (say you're asked to cover A-B-C and prepare a bit for those, but at the spot the editor also finds out D-E-F is happening and requests you to cover these as well). And this is especially true in my experience if it's about a site or channel that's only barely getting started, and has a limited amount of journalists who are not even professionals necessarily and are getting overtasked too. I can sympathize with the journalists in this case, even if it doesn't make for good work.

Edit: And yeah, having seen the video I can agree that it's pretty shoddy. Were it me, I would have tried to edit out the multiplayer question and try to cut a few of the "umm" moments and the likes. The video editor hardly did him any favours there. Clearly the interviewer hasn't been at it for long, but oh well, you start off somewhere.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I also worked as a eSports journalist for about a year a while back, and as a cameraman for an gaming channel for another year too, and my experience is that while knowing what you're talking about is the ideal situation, when you're covering conventions and the likes it's hard to prepare for *everything* you will cover there, as quite often you'll even be asked to cover things on the spot without prior plans of making said note (say you're asked to cover A-B-C and prepare a bit for those, but at the spot the editor also finds out D-E-F is happening and requests you to cover these as well). And this is especially true in my experience if it's about a site or channel that's only barely getting started, and has a limited amount of journalists who are not even professionals necessarily and are getting overtasked too. I can sympathize with the journalists in this case, even if it doesn't make for good work.

Edit: And yeah, having seen the video I can agree that it's pretty shoddy. Were it me, I would have tried to edit out the multiplayer question and try to cut a few of the "umm" moments and the likes. The video editor hardly did him any favours there. Clearly the interviewer hasn't been at it for long, but oh well, you start off somewhere.

They could have at a minimum asked the basics before the interview : multiplayer or no, type of game, etc. I admit that I don't know much about the deadlines in video game journalism, but if journalists can pull it off before going live on national television, I don't see why they can't there too. Especially considering its not live.

Anyway, pissed off journalist gripes, I'll just carry on.

I don't think anything looks as stupid as a freaking cap with a suit. Why the hell does everyone these days have to try so hard to look like a retarded teenager?

Just had to get that out of my system :p

I never got the "casual/formal" mix. Just pick one. Also hats indoors. What's up with that? And baseball hat of all things. What exactly is the sun you are protecting yourself coming from? From all the headwear in the world you pick the most dull one.

I don't think anything looks as stupid as a freaking cap with a suit. Why the hell does everyone these days have to try so hard to look like a retarded teenager?

Just had to get that out of my system :p

I never got the "casual/formal" mix. Just pick one. Also hats indoors. What's up with that? And baseball hat of all things. What exactly is the sun you are protecting yourself coming from? From all the headwear in the world you pick the most dull one.

To be precise guys, he is not wearing a suit. He is wearing a dinner jacket with a t-shirt which is far worse. Adding a cap on top is just not proper etiquette.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

Lol said it before, will say it again.  There is a big difference between a legitimate journalist, and some dudes writing reviews for a gaming blog/review site.

• Like 1

I can't make a proper assessment without seeing his trousers and shoes first. Maybe his belt too if I want to be thorough which, of course, I obviously do.

Socks I can take or leave unless they are readily visible

Birkenstocks with visible socks for sure!

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm socializing with diplomatic circles every day. That also entails high ranking business contacts. Therefore I know the etiquette inside out. How to lay the cloth properly, that you never serve chives on a reception, that you can't wear brown shoes in the evening, that you never wear short sleeved shirts, that Americans don't put their napkin back on the table... that you let diplomats from foreign countries steal your sterling cutlery without saying anything because some people just want a souvenir... All that stuff and hundreds more. I even attended a class in order to learn all that stuff.

But in my 9 years as a diplomat's husband I never met a diplomat yet who was stuffy (outside of formal events) when it comes to anybody's clothing style (as long as it's not breaking protocol during an important event).

That is PAX, not some gala dinner. The quality of the interviews may be debatable, but criticising the wardrobe of a guy who asks some random questions during a gaming event? Running down those people (who most likely get watched by a juvenile audience) because of their clothes? In a gaming forum? What does your 15-year old rebel you might think of you now? ;)

• Like 8

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

This is what Obsidian wants though, reach new players, get more people interested. If spring is still the launch target marketing should be ramping up. PoE had 74k backers and as of February 2016 over 700k copies were sold. Deadfire only had 33k backers, so there are potentially even more people to be convinced. Divinity: Original Sin 2 certainly showed how big the potential can be.

• Like 1

What does your 15-year old rebel you might think of you now? ;)

My 15-year old rebel deserves a kick in the balls. And most diplomats are probably pretty accepting. Part of the job to be flexible. The people I still talk to and network with from university who went into politics or foreign diplomacy are pretty adaptable. That said I'm a bureaucrat and we're known to be small and rigid people. :D 

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 2

Are we really talking about this ?

:lol:

I 'll never understand why people get triggered by another person's choice of clothing. :lol:
Peeps here watched one too many times...

https://youtu.be/0NT3GnLUkro

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...