Humor in Deadfire

Guest Blutwurstritter

More humor ?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Was there enough humor in PoE1

• Yes
    • No

Voted yes. I think for PoE1 it was a just right amount.

For Deadfire though, I would expect there to be more jokes and banter; as it's atmosphere is less gloomy.

Personally I like humour in RPGs. Eder, Devil of Caroc, Varric, Alistair and Zoltan are my all-times favorite "companions" from this perspective.

• Like 2

Voted yes. I think for PoE1 it was a just right amount.

For Deadfire though, I would expect there to be more jokes and banter; as it's atmosphere is less gloomy.

Personally I like humour in RPGs. Eder, Devil of Caroc, Varric, Alistair and Zoltan are my all-times favorite "companions" from this perspective.

Yes, Varric and Alistair are quality. And sarcastic Hawke in DA2 is really funny.

nowt

relying on past developer comments, humor based 'pon pop culture references is likely verboten; no gilbert & sullivan or pirates o' the caribbean.  am predicting big head mode, and similar such stuff, will remain optional.  as noted already in this thread, the developers intend to be less oppressive with deadfire and we expect more attempts at humor.  regardless, obsidian success at eliciting laughter will be, we suspect, mixed. 

humor is not only highly subjective, but due to cultural influences, it travels poorly.  nevertheless, a crpg such as deadfire is gonna be dozens of hours in duration and unrelenting grim or serious for such a time frame is punishing.  if not humor, then writers need use other options to deal with inevitable fatigue which would be resulting from tonal monotony. 

some humor for deadfire is desirable, but mileage is gonna vary from individual to individual.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

relying on past developer comments, humor based 'pon pop culture references is likely verboten; no gilbert & sullivan or pirates o' the caribbean.  am predicting big head mode, and similar such stuff, will remain optional.  as noted already in this thread, the developers intend to be less oppressive with deadfire and we expect more attempts at humor.  regardless, obsidian success at eliciting laughter will be, we suspect, mixed. 

humor is not only highly subjective, but due to cultural influences, it travels poorly.  nevertheless, a crpg such as deadfire is gonna be dozens of hours in duration and unrelenting grim or serious for such a time frame is punishing.  if not humor, then writers need use other options to deal with inevitable fatigue which would be resulting from tonal monotony. 

some humor for deadfire is desirable, but mileage is gonna vary from individual to individual.

HA! Good Fun!

it‘s true, they should at least attempt it. It will be well received by at least some and more lightheartedness is imo always desirable. Here‘s my attempt, clap if you like or throw tomatoes if you want.

Eder: ‚Meals were good, really tasty, but i‘ve noticed something, guys. There‘s no toothpicks around here.‘

New quest journal entry: ‚Quest: Missing toothpicks‘ - While travelling through Neketaka you went for lunch at the local inn and discovered there‘s no toothpicks around. Perhaps you should investigate further.

Eder: ‚Hey, waiter, hello! Can you tell me why there‘s no toothpicks in this inn?! What‘s going on here?‘

Waiter:‘Just a second sir, i‘ll fetch the owner for you.‘

Party gained 500xp.

Quest journal updated: After further inquiry you managed to get the owner to come to you so you can interrogate him.

Owner: ‚Yes, adventurers, how can i be of assistance?‘

PC: ‚Well, you see the meals were great, but me and my mates were wondering why you don‘t have any toothpicks around here. We‘ve checked every table you see. There‘s quite a bit of the meals between our teeth you see….‘

Owner: ‚Ahh … but look we actually did have toothpicks in this inn.‘

PC: ‚And… what happened?‘

Owner: ‚None of the guests ever returned one.‘

Party gained 10000xp.

Quest journal updated: ‚Quest: Missing toothpicks‘ solved. You have solved the quest about the missing toothpicks. It turns out that guests didn‘t put them back in their place after usage.

it‘s true, they should at least attempt it. It will be well received by at least some and more lightheartedness is imo always desirable. Here‘s my attempt, clap if you like or throw tomatoes if you want.

Eder: ‚Meals were good, really tasty, but i‘ve noticed something, guys. There‘s no toothpicks around here.‘

New quest journal entry: ‚Quest: Missing toothpicks‘ - While travelling through Neketaka you went for lunch at the local inn and discovered there‘s no toothpicks around. Perhaps you should investigate further.

Eder: ‚Hey, waiter, hello! Can you tell me why there‘s no toothpicks in this inn?! What‘s going on here?‘

Waiter:‘Just a second sir, i‘ll fetch the owner for you.‘

Party gained 500xp.

Quest journal updated: After further inquiry you managed to get the owner to come to you so you can interrogate him.

Owner: ‚Yes, adventurers, how can i be of assistance?‘

PC: ‚Well, you see the meals were great, but me and my mates were wondering why you don‘t have any toothpicks around here. We‘ve checked every table you see. There‘s quite a bit of the meals between our teeth you see….‘

Owner: ‚Ahh … but look we actually did have toothpicks in this inn.‘

PC: ‚And… what happened?‘

Owner: ‚None of the guests ever returned one.‘

Party gained 10000xp.

Quest journal updated: ‚Quest: Missing toothpicks‘ solved. You have solved the quest about the missing toothpicks. It turns out that guests didn‘t put them back in their place after usage.

Please no.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 6

---

We're all doomed

It's true that PoE1 didn't really have any humorous elements, but I really don't play Obsidian games for the humor anyway. I'm not going to complain if there's more humor in Deadfire and it's well written, but I'm not going to slit my wrists hoping for a more slapstick approach either.

haha, looks like there's an 'm' missing from the word 'many' xD

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

The Theme was pretty damn serious aswell [hollowborn Childrens, etc].

I took it seriously from the beginning, once exposed to the setting, and had no problem with it.

Plus, there was some humor.

Even if a God is crushing everything around, I believe Deadfire will have lighter moments [& they already talked about it].

Really, soul-less babies is way darker for me than chasing an angry god.

There was no [real] place for humor to be omnipresent in the first Pillars. I Have to say, I liked it.

When we compare the tonal differences, yes, it does impeccably make sense. You see, Pillars 1 has a muted color pallette... the forests are dead green, the game itself is covered in dark blue hues, dead greens or wooded browns. So it's a semi-opressive vibe to begin with.

Deadfire on the other hand has sunlight beaming across the golden sands, the waves of the ocean and the beaches with a sense of open-ended discovery.

Point being: The two games are polar ooposites in vibes and that is with good reason. In sense, Deadfire has everything pointing to "Fun" from its alchohal breathing ogres to ship sailing while Pillars 1 is just all around depressing with hints of dark humor.

I am not at all sure to assume this but I think they chose to go this direction because they regretted that Pillars 1 was "too" dark in that way. Maybe I am wrong and they just wanted to do something different but it doesn't appear that way, it seems like they wanted to improve the first game in every way upon the sequel without it straying. It's telking that they knew they could do some tonal variation better.

I am really happy with what I see from Deadfire, I don't think I could be happier with the changes they are making with the tone which ultimately dictates the type of humor and thereof amount of it.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Well, Pillars I gives them the opportunity to make something entirely different now.

So I don't think they should regret anything. The vision they had came to be, and they should be proud of it !

Especially for a Kickstarted Game. Many have failed in this endeavor before them.

All they want is to Improve the overall quality, but in terms of "Tone", both games will have a special place,

and stand as their own entity.

They'll always pursue improvment, from I to II, and from II to III.

• Like 1

It is indeed but like any other game developer, Obsidian most likely looks at Pillars 1 and says "We wish we would have done this differently than what we had, perhaps the game would have been much better for it". Regardless of it's success. Maybe things they didn't put in the game because of time restraint or thungs they kept out because it simply didn't fit.

I probably sound like I'm knocking Pillars 1 down but I'm not trying to. I know they're "happy" with the game but that's not the point.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...