Art Team Praise - Deadfire Looks Frigging Good!

Aye, the art team has outdone themselves. All the textures, all items, the areas in general, with weather effects and lightning, and all the details, down to driftwood and grains of sand, glistening wet palms in the rain, the interiors, the portraits, the models, the works. I'm extremely impressed! :yes:

Here's a small selection from my beta playthrough today:

yfFXiu.jpg

jxHzq5.jpg

WIdqS9.jpg

xXtuiB.jpg

Carry on the superb work, and don't over-do your iterations! Step back, and try to see whether it's already perfect. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 12

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Agreed! The art team as a whole really went above and beyond with Deadfire. Weapon and armor design are especially great; though, frankly, everything is :)

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The lighting effects and shadows are particularly appealing. A huge improvement over the first game. I also love the subtle changes to armour and weapons as the quality of the items increases, a very nice touch. My favourite thing so far though has to be the colour palette, especially in Poko Kohara, it's easy to make a drab dreary dungeon, but the deep dark places in Deadfire just seem so... alive.

post-176012-0-86583500-1515866927_thumb.jpg

post-176012-0-49107700-1515866947_thumb.jpg

post-176012-0-85024300-1515867154_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

​Agreed 100%.  POE1 was already pretty nice artistically, and Deadfire stepped it up.  It's drop dead gorgeous.

About the whole "world building" thing, by which I mean art, music, the general "feel" of the world and its inhabitants and cultures and places: I'd say that Obsidian gets top honors.  The craftmanship is obvious.

I'm hoping they also take some of the game-play suggestions to heart too: there are a handful or two of really insightful folks on the Beta forum who understand the system inside and out, and have made what I think are excellent suggestions to help DF on that front.

• Like 1

Yes visually the game looks so gud. I just have one concern though. From watching YouTube videos, the 2D backgrounds appear slightly blurred compared to the 3D objects and characters. Hope they put the backgrounds through some kind of sharpening filter.

Edited by speed

I agree regarding the art styles and 'upgrades' if you will, to the genre. There are several games or serial games out that carry a tribute to BIS games, for example, and this high quality work stands out. Looking forward to watching the final release develop, and have been obsessive about character building and equipping.

• Like 1