You know what gets my goat going?  How everyone likes to talk about Social Justice Warriors but what about the Social Justice Wizards?  Social Justice Rogues?  Clerics?  Nothing!  And they are the most fundamental classes too, what about Paladins, Rangers, Monks, Druids, and Bards??!   This is an outrage! 

And when the hell did we have to start using the term SJW?  Back in my day it was called White Knighting and was perfectly fine!  Now we have a three word term that is so long we have to acronym it!  I mean, how you are meant to verb it properly?  Damn kids!  Get off my lawn!

Where am I again?  Stop telling me to take my meds!  Beat you with my cane I will! 

I'm personally yearning for SJB, a Social Justice Barbarian. I want to wrestle it, see the uninhibited rage burning in its tolerant gaze.

I don't have anything against sexual or racial minorities and thus do all the inclusion you want with them. I don't care. Ixamitl culture with its heavy native american vibe sounds very interesting to me. I draw the line to when people producing entertainment start to self-censor on subjects that might be traumatic to someone. A goddamn marshmallow can be traumatic to someone. It is an endless swamp so to speak.

Edited by dragubaba
  • Like 3

It would have been so beautiful but yes, the backer content is a pretty big deal and rightfully so. Now that it's been "lost" I guess we could try to overlook that fact and say it isn't a big deal as it was made out to be.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

It would have been so beautiful but yes, the backer content is a pretty big deal and rightfully so.

Well feel free to take a strong political stance then.

I don't see any evidence that any actual content of the game was changed nor that that vision for any of the characters or setting. If it were then I might be concerned. Actually even then I might not be all that worried. As I said people tend to be zoning out these nutter mobs these days.

• Like 2

Here, a video on the subject:

"The writer was working on content but forced to leave."

This has been touched on in a few threads before, and each has been locked for the same reason: this is baseless speculation. There is no evidence that the writer was 'forced' to do anything, let alone by Obsidian. The latest one can be seen here, with all discussion and info pertaining to this matter: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/93720-okay-so-here-is-what-actually-happened-with-obsidian-writer-that-resigned/

• Like 7

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Oh... I didn't see them sorry :(

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

We need an RWNJ Inquisition faction with variegated robes, a rather regressive agenda, and a complete intolerance so satisfy the alt-right ;) 

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

How i feel most SJW and 'alt-right' discussions go.

I'm just gonna note that the 'spider' on Spiderman's costume there has six legs rather than eight and looks more like a tick or maybe a beetle than a spider.

He's a differently-enabled spiderman...

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Well, at least the main question of the thread is still very valid and the thread shall continue to grow strong as people continue to give glorious insight to our hopes and dreams that is Deadfire :)

So far I've really enjoyed everyone's response as I've learned alot. I am but a nudey in this, naked and deprived of any opinion it seems. A spectating soul forver lost in the void that is the wonderful black abyss, as I read while I eat me fresh can of pork n beans.

You know what is so funny? Hollow Knight was designed as agender. They are intentionally never refered to as he or she. Literally a "SJW" avatar.

My POV in other words:

• if I meet 3 Vailians in the course of the entire game, then cool, I've met some Vailians
  • if I meet 100 Vailians in the course of the entire game, then cool, them mates are seriously into seafaring
Now:
  • if I meet 3 gay characters in the course of the entire game, then cools, I've met some gay characters
  • if I meet 100 gay characters in the course of the entire game... it will be odd
Luckily Obsidian knows how to handle their Veronicas, Arcades and Menahas smoothly.

Statistically speaking, it's not terribly likely to survive a Biawac and then just happen to run into the leader of the Leaden Key going about sinister business. High fantasy RPGs have never exactly run on what's statistically likely to happen.

It's true. Whatever percentages may or may not apply in reality have no inherent relation to Eora. In essence there is no chance. Everything in PoE is the way it is because it was crafted that way. We as players don't wander through endless fields or deserts of nothing. Every map was made with a purpose. Even if that purpose was to fill a number of maps promised on Kickstarter. Developers are almighty gods of the worlds they create. Setting the game in a European inspired civilization is a choice, as is having homo sapiens. Making these humans white is a choice. It's up to the developers. It's their decision to create as many black female paladins and deranged women-hating priests as they please.

• Like 1

Well, at least the main question of the thread is still very valid and the thread shall continue to grow strong as people continue to give glorious insight to our hopes and dreams that is Deadfire :)

So far I've really enjoyed everyone's response as I've learned alot. I am but a nudey in this, naked and deprived of any opinion it seems. A spectating soul forver lost in the void that is the wonderful black abyss, as I read while I eat me fresh can of pork n beans.

mmmm..... pork and beans....

• Like 1

The most important step you take in your life is the next one.

It's their decision to create as many black female paladins and deranged women-hating priests as they please.

It's funny, now that you mention it, I've got to admit that Durance and Pallegina were my favorite characters in PoE1. Then I saw the Joshugina portrait and everything got ruined, I'm still having nightmares. If only Durance was in Deadfire :/

• Like 1

Missing my point.

Devs built their world with foundations such as Vailians being mostly humans with dark complexion, etc. This is a fact known from the start, You may check the guide book, it's right there. Other SJW topics were not considered in the world building - or we are not aware about them, yet.

That is backwards. You started off by talking about majorities and minorities, but then point to what the devs created. That means you accept anything as long as it was part of the world building and it also means majorities and minorities is, in your case, irrelevant.

At any case, I have yet to see a definition of "SJW writing". I see no reason for the alarmist posts.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

It's their decision to create as many black female paladins and deranged women-hating priests as they please.

It's funny, now that you mention it, I've got to admit that Durance and Pallegina were my favorite characters in PoE1. Then I saw the Joshugina portrait and everything got ruined, I'm still having nightmares. If only Durance was in Deadfire :/

Aww man... I'll miss Durance and his angry ranting so much.

• Like 2

You know what is so funny? Hollow Knight was designed as agender. They are intentionally never refered to as he or she. Literally a "SJW" avatar.

Are you provokingly insinuating that I'm supporting SJW impartiality by choosing Hollow Knight as an avatar? If so, you're wrong. I picked this specific avatar because Hollow Knight was one of my goty for 2017.

Furthermore, the Knight is a negotiate of the elders so it makes sense for the Knight to be genderless, it's like a doll that came to life to do their bidding and nothing more. Sure there is patrionized fan-fic of te Knight falling for Hornet but this was all false as the Knight cannot and does not show emotion. It's simply a thing summoned to bring back order, so with that I'd say the game or Team Cherry aren't the SJW type.

Are you provokingly insinuating that I'm supporting SJW impartiality by choosing Hollow Knight as an avatar? If so, you're wrong. I picked this specific avatar because Hollow Knight was one of my goty for 2017.

Furthermore, the Knight is a negotiate of the elders so it makes sense for the Knight to be genderless, it's like a doll that came to life to do their bidding and nothing more. Sure there is patrionized fan-fic of te Knight falling for Hornet but this was all false as the Knight cannot and does not show emotion. It's simply a thing summoned to bring back order, so with that I'd say the game or Team Cherry aren't the SJW type.

I think he meant it as an interesting coincidence rather than trying to insinuate anything.

Missing my point.

Devs built their world with foundations such as Vailians being mostly humans with dark complexion, etc. This is a fact known from the start, You may check the guide book, it's right there. Other SJW topics were not considered in the world building - or we are not aware about them, yet.

That is backwards. You started off by talking about majorities and minorities, but then point to what the devs created. That means you accept anything as long as it was part of the world building and it also means majorities and minorities is, in your case, irrelevant.

At any case, I have yet to see a definition of "SJW writing". I see no reason for the alarmist posts.

You know full well what people mean by SJW writing, quit pretending otherwise. It's kinda obnoxious.

My POV in other words:

• if I meet 3 Vailians in the course of the entire game, then cool, I've met some Vailians
  • if I meet 100 Vailians in the course of the entire game, then cool, them mates are seriously into seafaring

Now:

• if I meet 3 gay characters in the course of the entire game, then cools, I've met some gay characters
  • if I meet 100 gay characters in the course of the entire game... it will be odd

Luckily Obsidian knows how to handle their Veronicas, Arcades and Menahas smoothly.

Statistically speaking, it's not terribly likely to survive a Biawac and then just happen to run into the leader of the Leaden Key going about sinister business. High fantasy RPGs have never exactly run on what's statistically likely to happen.

Well, strictly speaking, the two events may not have been completely independent because they both had to take place near Glanfathan ruins.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I think people take issue with 'SJW' additions to a game when they feel forced....shoe-horned in, rather than subtly added, almost like one needs to fit a quota of 'diversity' for a cast or spectrum of characters.  For eg having to have at least one gay and one bi npc/party member in a relatively small pool of potential team mates to choose from, just to show that there is diversity, rather than sometimes having them in, sometimes not (for main npcs).

Thats ok depending on story and setting, just as in real life there being small percentage minorities that arent always represented every, single, time, and when theyre not, it doesn't necessarily mean discrimination, just that it's ok to not always have to fill a quota that the vast majority don't always fall into, otherwise it feels too artificial.

It's the forcing of and cliche passed off as diverse, rather than the natural occasional implementation thats the issue.

Ironically, diversity in writing these days usually falls into cliches only for sexual diversity, or a minority taking the role of a traditional stereotype i.e. female warrior in a stereotypical male role, like a 'look we are bucking the trends in an considerate and diverse way'.

Diversity and uniqueness in writing would also encompass characters who are likeable yet also have unsavoury traits (Durance is a perfect example of good writing in that way).

• Like 3

"If you would, you could become all flame" - Abba Joseph of the Desert Fathers.

Well, strictly speaking, the two events may not have been completely independent because they both had to take place near Glanfathan ruins.

They were very connected though, right? Biawac’s were an effect of using the machine to harvest the souls. You running into both a Baiwac and Leade Key was not unusual. Not getting your soul sucked out was.

• Like 1

Durance and Pallegina and Eder are tied for my favorites. Aloth is straggling behind. I think Durance is less inclined to become lasting friends with The Watcher, but I'd like to have him around for another go.

Mostly to me it seems like people encounter a gay character and freak the **** out. I wonder if these are the same people who freak the **** out when they encounter an actual gay person.

In KOTOR I Force Persuaded somebody into giving me money because I could. In BG I murdered children. In Fable I killed like a half-dozen of my "wives". In Fallout 3 I *sold people into sexual slavery*.

But including gay characters is *right out* for these people?

I simply do not understand.

• Like 3

God, another "games are being sabotaged by SJW's" post. yay

It's not though... Nobody here is complaining that it will be sabotaged or otherwise. It's a simple question askimg this specific audience what they think will happen with the new game is all. Nothing more, nothing less but to those who don't like these kinds of posts, they're welcome to avoid it.