Do you guys think that Deadfire will be speckled with rices of social justice/liberal writing? I remember the first game, when Obsidian was forced to remove the joke or some content, iirc?

I think that maybe even Obsidian would introduce characters wherewhich would appeal to the SJW audiences, rather than upset it. This is fair game for their new game, I personally don't see a matter either way but was curious for your thought.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Probably a bait post, but what the heck, I'll give a serious reply - POE is a game with a timeline inspired by real world's Renaissance period, where bigotry and slavery were abundant. Nobody cared about SJWs back then and nobody should care about them in a fantasy game, period. All SJWs can go and get triggered somewhere else, by some real world problems, leave devs their creative liberty. And if you are seriously, not just for lulz, get pissed off by some showcases of intolerance in a fantasy video game you are a sad, sad person.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 13

I expect this thread to be full of insightful, thought provoking, and respectful posts those body will be a shining example of the best of us⸮…

Edited by kierun
  • Like 5

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

I think you can expect to socially liberal writing when it comes to sexuality (especially with the new romances involved), but that's probably about it. In the PoE 1 development there was talk about potential themes of racism and the Orlan being discriminated against, but it was barely touched upon in PoE 1, so I doubt they'd change course in PoE 2 by starting to try and champion/mirror real world issues. It's also not really something people are looking for in a fantasy game, the fantasy genre lending itself heavily to escapism more so than any other style of genre - and people who are looking for escapism don't typically wanting real world issues rubbed in their faces.

So no, I doubt it.

Was the point here that the PoE 1 minor scandal that disappeared overnight more or less would influence PoE 2's writing? I guess I'm just not seeing why it would be suggested that a sequel would adopt a different approach to its selection of narratives compared to the first of the series, people expect some tonal consistency.

Edited by Jojobobo

Probably a bait post, but what the heck, I'll give a serious reply...

Without a doubt a bait post, but I'll bite too. 

The content that they were forced to remove was created by a backer, not Obsidian themselves, so we have no reason to distrust their writing. It also doesn't seem like romance is a major thing in Deadfire, so I doubt that characters will need to discuss their sexuality. 

The only "delicate" topic as it were, is Eder's racist beliefs towards Orlans. But that seems pretty reasonable considering the setting. Good for them for including mature themes. 

All in all, I'm hoping that the SJW thing was a 2017 craze, and that it won't resurface in 2018.

• Like 1

We know Deadfire will contain party members who are openly non-heterosexual. The setting already contains people corresponding to different real-world ethnicities, rather than everyone being European. The themes of racism and sexism have been brought up, though admittedly the racism is entirely fictional - Orlan are discriminated against, rather than people of any given skin colour. But the issues Pallegina dealt with back home, or the nonsense Durance spouts on a regular basis, are much closer to reality.

So... according to the standards of most people who fret about "SJW writing", I'd say the game is already a lost cause. But it seems the goalposts have shifted, and the mere inclusion of diverse characters and viewpoints is no longer "pandering", whatever that even means to begin with. So what exactly are you worried will happen? I'd like to see some concrete examples for once.

• Like 4

We know Deadfire will contain party members who are openly non-heterosexual. The setting already contains people corresponding to different real-world ethnicities, rather than everyone being European. The themes of racism and sexism have been brought up, though admittedly the racism is entirely fictional - Orlan are discriminated against, rather than people of any given skin colour. But the issues Pallegina dealt with back home, or the nonsense Durance spouts on a regular basis, are much closer to reality.

So... according to the standards of most people who fret about "SJW writing", I'd say the game is already a lost cause. But it seems the goalposts have shifted, and the mere inclusion of diverse characters and viewpoints is no longer "pandering", whatever that even means to begin with. So what exactly are you worried will happen? I'd like to see some concrete examples for once.

I agree. What are people worried about happening? "SJW writing" isn't really defined so it's hard to understand what the potential problem might be.

• Like 3

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I still don't see any concrete examples here relating to PoE2 specifically. I don't think there will be any "safe spaces" in Obsidian's writing in PoE2.

As for people's sexuality in game, well it might come up I suppose, since there seems to be some sort of relationship feature in the game for a limited set of characters, but I think it is a pretty safe bet that you will be able to avoid the issue completely if you so wish.

I still don't see the problem.

Edited by Rosbjerg
removed post quote

Personally, I'd love more mature games that don't give a crap about SJWs, like the Witcher series, for example. Mistreatment of women, bigotry, racism and intolerance - medieval daily life in all its glory! Sold like hotcakes too :)

What do you mean my “SJW”? Is it enough to have characters with more liberal sexuality or is it: “women in out society has always been treated as equals because it is GOOD. We also embrace gay people. Arent we GREAT? Isn’t it NORMAL? I don’t understand how someone could OPPRESS those poor buggers. Oh look here comes Lady Cathrine. She is a warrior but she is also a WOMAN. She kicks men’s butt all the time. Even though she is a WOMAN. It’s so NORMAL I don’t even know why I am pointing it out sooo hard”.

Second one won’t happen because Obsidian hires actual writers.

• Like 3

Personally, I'd love more mature games that don't give a crap about SJWs, like the Witcher series, for example. Mistreatment of women, bigotry, racism and intolerance - medieval daily life in all its glory! Sold like hotcakes too :)

But have Obsidian ever shied away from such topics? I do not think so. I think it was stated fairly early on in the development of PoE that they would pursue any type of story and topics they wanted in the game. Nothing was really off the table by default. I believe the same goes for PoE2.

What do you mean my “SJW”? Is it enough to have characters with more liberal sexuality or is it: “women in out society has always been treated as equals because it is GOOD. We also embrace gay people. Arent we GREAT? Isn’t it NORMAL? I don’t understand how someone could OPPRESS those poor buggers. Oh look here comes Lady Cathrine. She is a warrior but she is also a WOMAN. She kicks men’s butt all the time. Even though she is a WOMAN. It’s so NORMAL I don’t even know why I am pointing it out sooo hard”.

Second one won’t happen because Obsidian hires actual writers.

It is hard to understand what you are trying to say. 

I think that maybe even Obsidian would introduce characters wherewhich would appeal to the SJW audiences, rather than upset it. This is fair game for their new game, I personally don't see a matter either way but was curious for your thought.

SJWs represent the liberties of minorities. I'm all for equality for everyone, but minorities are - well - in minority. As such they should be present in minority (if at all) in movies, games, books etc., unless the foundation of the work says otherwise.

• Like 2

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

What's wrong with it? Why should I have less right than you to start a thread? People seem to enjoy it...

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

SJWs represent the liberties of minorities. I'm all for equality for everyone, but minorities are - well - in minority. As such they should be present in minority (if at all) in movies, games, books etc., unless the foundation of the work says otherwise.

By that logic basically all (human) characters in PoE2 should have an asian appearance in PoE2. They are the majority of earth's population after all.  

• Like 1

It's easy to say oh well, this developer includes bisexual, lesbian or gay characters therefore they are advocates for diversity. But most these developers accommodate players who don't want to deal with diversity. For example in Skyrim you can marry someone of the same sex but unless you wander about with the marriage seeker amulet you would never know any male character would marry a man. Skyrim itself has no gay characters. All couples are heterosexual. The same is true for Stardew Valley. Unless you enter a romantic relationship with a bachelor or bachelorette of the same sex there is nothing gay or lesbian in that game.

In New Vegas some gay and bisexual character will only reveal their sexuality if you have the Confirmed Bachelor perk. It's hidden from those players without it. In Divinity: Original Sin 2 you can have sex with every single companion but Fane will talk about his wife and daughter and the Red Prince will talk about having sex with a Sucubus and he's in love with the Red Princess. None of the male companions mention a former male lover. The same is true for virtually all bisexual male characters including Fallout 4 and Dragon Age.

The people who don't want to deal with sexual minorities don't have to. They are very much considered and taken into account. Only the radical extremists who hate the very presence of sexual minorities are ignored because there are not many of them and exactly because their opinions are so irrationally hateful.

• Like 5

Wow, another one...Would some moderator revoke this dude's thread starting privileges? Pretty please.

:lol: Well, a couple of things:

Theres nothing wrong with the OP's question. It doesn't break any forum rules.

These threads are useful for consolidating these type of discussions.

And my personal favorite, these threads bring out the ignoramuses for easy identification. Just look how hurt they are that may feel inclusion. And the internet never forgets.

• Like 12

By that logic basically all (human) characters in PoE2 should have an asian appearance in PoE2. They are the majority of earth's population after all.  

unless the foundation of the work says otherwise.

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...