The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Seems like not a big deal changing it. Is that motto sacred or something?

We changed our anthem this week for similar reasons http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/anthem-bill-passes-senate-1.4513317

What annoys me is the notion that is must be changed because it is pronoun specific. It can't just be accepted that "him" is a generic term in today's parlance. It can't be accepted that the quote is 153 years old and uttered in a time when only men served in the military. But it is no less appropriate today with the understanding that the VA cares for ALL veterans. Not every goddamned thing needs to be spelled out in gender neutral terms to be accepted as being inclusive.  Step one on the journey back to sanity begins with the understanding that institutions like the VA are not excluding anyone because they chose a quote from Abraham Lincoln when the Department of Veterans Health (which later merged with other organizations to become the VA) reorganized in 1919. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can't really say I've encountered much use of 'him' as a generic term, but might not be in today's parlance and well that's the time we always live in, so. Really don't see the fuss about it that much, would imagine most people paid the motto no heed in the past (but yet a good fraction will get up in arms, regardless :lol:). Nothing insane about it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Is this a fad? Or is gender dysphoria more widespread than we thought? I'm guessing the former. https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-just-boy-girl-more-teens-identify-transgender-050223523.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'll say one thing for sure. As fads go it's a heck of a lot healthier experimenting with cross gender stuff than eating laundry detergent. 

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

I'll say one thing for sure. As fads go it's a heck of a lot healthier experimenting with cross gender stuff than eating laundry detergent. 

Yeah, but how many crazy parents would rather their boys eat tide pods than wear a dress? :p

What was it Aristotle said? Some vices miss what is right because they are deficient. Others because they are excessive. Virtue is found in the mean. Repression of behavior and overindulgence in that behavior certainly strike me as vices. And the latter often follows the former (looking at you Prohibition). As a society we haven't found the mean on trans-gender stuff yet. But we'll get there.

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, but how many crazy parents would rather their boys eat tide pods than wear a dress? :p

Probably a good chunk of them in the US. :p

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Some Enki Bilal artwork to commemorate the milestone:

0uro0234__enki_bilal__die_mauer_berlin.j

ce29214f963f717ad80ff2aef266c631--berlin

975d75899fcf7f11e3c19fd75549636d.jpg

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

didn't quite deserve to be in the funny thread.

canned unicorn meat-- on sale

e5a7_canned_unicorn_meat-257x300.jpg

is clear not a new thing, so is likely others will scoff at Gromnir's ignorance o' the product.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You pay so much for a college education there days. I think some of us might be getting ripped off: http://reason.com/blog/2018/02/09/this-sociology-professor-insists-austral

College professor says Australia is not a country huh? :lol:

Thomas Sowell

Sounds like an adjunct (aka part-time) professor who was teaching a course that they probably were only marginally qualified to teach.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The impression I get is that most of these online courses are being taught by people that are barely qualified. I've taken a few. Of course, they are typically easy A's and you are just paying for a few extra credits to boost your resume, rather than actual academically challenging classes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/12/malaysian-newspaper-sinar-harian-publishes-how-to-spot-a-gay-lgbt-checklist

Newspaper in Malaysia publishes a checklist on how to spot a gay person. We probably should not make light of this because there is an ugly sentiment behind it. But mocking news stories is how we deal with crap so here we go: the most foolproof method IMO is to proposition someone of the same sex. If they say yes, you spotted one!

Of course if they say yes and you were not serious they are going to be disappointed.

Thomas Sowell

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/12/malaysian-newspaper-sinar-harian-publishes-how-to-spot-a-gay-lgbt-checklist

Newspaper in Malaysia publishes a checklist on how to spot a gay person. We probably should not make light of this because there is an ugly sentiment behind it. But mocking news stories is how we deal with crap so here we go: the most foolproof method IMO is to proposition someone of the same sex. If they say yes, you spotted one!

Of course if they say yes and you were not serious they are going to be disappointed.

"In England If you wear an earring in your right ear... means you're gay. If you live in Australia, which I do, it's when you put your **** in another mans arse.."

NSFW

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Vermont police shoot and kill a man pointing a gun at his own head: http://www.thestate.com/news/nation-world/national/article199680904.html

Wow, it's a good thing those "heroes" were on hand. That poor bastard might have shot himself. Can't have that. The State Trooper, one Christopher Brown, can cut a new notch on his pistol grip. This is the third man he's killed in the last six months.

Oh, and by the way, the "heroes" fired 12 shots and hit the man three times. Only one of those three was a fatal hit. Good thing no one else was nearby. They might have been "served and protected" by one of those stray shots.

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Well they will say that he was armed and walking towards them and they feared for their life.  Cops will nod and call it a good shoot, ho-hum.

They really should send these cops to Brazil to fight in the favelas or something.

As concerned as I am at the heavy handed treatment, they fired 12 shots at a man sized target and only cut paper 3 times. And only one of those was in the x-ring. That's nine rounds flying past him at 1100 fps hitting God knows what or who behind him. That is atrocious marksmanship.

In fact it sounds more like panic fire. Which would be even worse.

It's no secret I have very little respect for police. It is a profession that seems to attract a disproportionate number of bullies, cowards, and people of low character. Those kind of people relish having authority over their fellow citizens. The kind their flaws prevent them from earning any other way. Someone who wants power over the other humans is usually the last person you want to have it.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Or just, you know, train them not to use their gun in every situation.

Nah, they'll just push back saying they have a right to go home, etc.  Sending them abroad to fight heavy criminals is a win-win.

After seeing who made the cut it makes you wonder just how bad the people who get rejected are. I've heard some horror stories from high school friends who now work for the Border Patrol.

And now for something completely different, Valentine's Day 2018 falls on Ash Wednesday. Can Christians have sex?

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21