The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Yeah I don't like the wording myself.  'Considered offensive' That sounds like textbook PC. On the other hand it was kinda gross and pointless. 

Textbook PC would be a decent way to define these forums as a whole. It isn't crazy over the top PC where everything is considered offensive, but it also isn't a wild west setting where anything goes. There is a reason I hang out here and not on Bioware (do they even have forums anymore?) or RPGCodex. There are probably a billion other places you can go to see a skeevy ratings system for women.

If it had a male counterpart, that would balance it somewhat, but it still seems like a weird setting for it.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah I don't like the wording myself.  'Considered offensive' That sounds like textbook PC. On the other hand it was kinda gross and pointless. 

Textbook PC would be a decent way to define these forums as a whole. It isn't crazy over the top PC where everything is considered offensive, but it also isn't a wild west setting where anything goes. There is a reason I hang out here and not on Bioware (do they even have forums anymore?) or RPGCodex. There are probably a billion other places you can go to see a skeevy ratings system for women.

If it had a male counterpart, that would balance it somewhat, but it still seems like a weird setting for it.  

I'm not so sure about that. Feeling offended on behalf of someone else, which is usually what PC is,  is not an exact science, it's not objective. It gets out of hand very easily. But we have certain tonal considerations as well, sure. I guess if it had been important somehow it would have stayed in. No none really needs an explanation of what the 10 scale is anyway.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

It'll probably be succesful as hell, judging by similar products. Parents really like sharing the games and toys they love. World of WarCraft: Traveler is a good example, though it helps that it's written by Greg Weissman (Gargoyles) and features art from WarCraft style codifier Samwise Didier himself.

Funny how Games Workshop takes a lot of directional cues from Blizzard these days, considering Blizzard became what it is by expertly ripping Games Workshop off.

Sidenote, ever have those moments where you write a word correctly but it just looks weird to you? I spent a good while trying to rewrite 'cues' just now. Almost wrote down queues. *insert anime style sweat drop here*

Yep, a lot of people are upset at this making Warhammer 40k for kids (uh...go figure that one) or are just wondering at how they'll make the OTT grimdark stuff acceptable to show children.  As well some bleating about how this is the thin edge of the SJW wedge and soon we'll have feminist marines or something. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

EM Drive tests not promising: https://phys.org/news/2018-05-team-feasibility-emdrive-mach-effect.html

Looks like ion propulsion is still the best bet

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yep, a lot of people are upset at this making Warhammer 40k for kids (uh...go figure that one) or are just wondering at how they'll make the OTT grimdark stuff acceptable to show children. As well some bleating about how this is the thin edge of the SJW wedge and soon we'll have feminist marines or something.

Hope someone will let them in on the fact that grimdark stuff IS for kids.

• Like 2

Elon Musk wants to do a site that rates media and journalists for "credibility", and is ironically naming it Pravda (yes, that Pravda, the propaganda mouthpiece of the Soviet Communist party). http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/23/technology/elon-musk-media/index.html

Given the problems inherent in internet rating systems, might as well have reddit rate the media and journalists.

Unless it's based on empirical citation backed by Wayback machine.

Of course the issue of impersonation and identity theft are always a thing in this age.

Sometimes I just wish the world moved slower, if enforced accountability prevented those from playing loose and fast from setting the world stage then I think that would be an improvement.

I wonder if Musk will team up with Thiel to see his vision through?

Considering my marriage track record I'm sure this will f--k up for me too: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/6366262/marry-robots-sophia-harmony-hanson-2045/

Of course in 2045 I'll be 74 and with my drinking habits I expect it will be a hard 74. A wife, android or otherwise wouldn't be much use to me anyway. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Apparently at the University of Balamand in Lebanon...

33517742_1352529138179863_17798364660970

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Observer - George Takei accuser changes his story of drugs assault

----

The New York Times reporter Emily Steel spent six months investigating the sexual misconduct accusations against Bill O’Reilly before publishing the story that eventually got him off of Fox News. Before his passing, my own mentor David Carr twice nearly exposed the Harvey Weinstein allegations and twice didn’t print what he thought he knew because he couldn’t confirm the whole story on the record. Ronan Farrow worked for 10 months before finally printing that story in The New Yorker.

These were massively consequential reports and pivotal to the ushering in of a long overdue era of justice for victims of sexual harassment and crimes.

But once that dam broke, the power of and interest in these stories has led to an incentive for the press to get them out quickly and for our polarized social media to quickly weaponize them. It’s easy to forget that every story has its own subtleties and nuances, and the consequences for getting things wrong can be severe.

These stakes merit taking our time and taking into account more than the typical web news report merits: things like number of accusers, corroborating witnesses around the time of the event, context, patterns of behavior, consistency and credibility of sources, and smoking-gun evidence (hush money, lawsuits, etc).

And in the absence of those things, when a “he said, she said” is left open to interpretation, the stakes necessitate taking into account the neuroscience of the fallibility of human memory and the psychology research that says humans are bad at reading each other’s intentions—especially when intoxicated. We owe it to both the victims and the accused to investigate all sides of a story before we unleash it for the masses to devour.

Experts estimate that only 3 to 5 percent of sexual assault accusations turn out to be untrue, while only 1 in 1,000 accused rapists end up in jail. Further complicating this, victims sometimes take back their accusations for their own peace of mind.

Now that we’re finally listening more to victims, we might risk not being able to finally punish the 97 percent who get away if we get act too hastily. Likewise, we’ll greatly disserve justice if we use rare, complex or unclear cases as an excuse to ignore or disbelieve accusers in other cases.

One activist I interviewed while writing this story told me, “If good people like George Takei get mistakenly swept up in the net of #MeToo, perhaps that’s a sacrifice they should be willing to make for the cause.”

Whether it’s appropriate to ask people to make those kinds of sacrifices should be up for debate itself. But one thing is clear: If we let the pendulum of justice swing too far and falsely equate lesser crimes or misunderstandings with more heinous sexual abuse accusations, such sacrifices can easily become moot anyway.

Whatever really happened between Brunton and Takei all those years ago, the meta-lesson here might just be that while our society has long failed victims of sexual harassment and crimes, correcting these monstrous injustices, while remaining ourselves just, will continue to be difficult.

I don’t fault Brunton for feeling wronged or for waiting all these years to cry foul. And just because he is inconsistent in his accounts does not mean we should jump to the conclusion that none of this happened at all. Victims often change details, out of panic or memory fallibility.

Neither do I fault Takei for feeling unfairly judged, or, at 80 years old, for not remembering Brunton.

But the question remains: What do we do with stories like this now?

“I don’t want to sound like I’m so vengeful, but, I mean, you do want to get back at someone like that that has done something like that,” Brunton told me. “If it just tarnishes their reputation a little bit, well, that’s what you get for doing what you did.”

What should you get for something like Brunton says Takei did? For making too bold a move on a date who, it turned out, just wanted to be friends? What kind of sacrifice should be asked for when an accuser feels hurt but says it all could be a misunderstanding?

Should your name go on lists alongside rapists and pedophiles? Should you lose your livelihood? Have your political voice muffled? Should the story of your human rights work be deleted from books? Should the accusation appear in your obituary?

Brunton didn’t really want all that; he says he just wanted to spur an old friend to reach out and to say sorry for an unwanted situation. The rest of those things are on us to decide.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, seeing how this is the topic for Everything Else, and I’m new to the forums, I have a honest (yet perhaps stupid) question:

Is it just me, or do the folks of this subforum interact very little with the rest of the boards?

So, seeing how this is the topic for Everything Else, and I’m new to the forums, I have a honest (yet perhaps stupid) question:

Is it just me, or do the folks of this subforum interact very little with the rest of the boards?

For good reason. :p

• Like 2

"So, seeing how this is the topic for Everything Else, and I’m new to the forums, I have a honest (yet perhaps stupid) question:

Is it just me, or do the folks of this subforum interact very little with the rest of the boards? "

Why are you trolling? Go spam elsewhere if you aren't going to try to contribute. Ridiculous.

"WAA... thes epeople don't interact with poor little me. WAAAAAAAA."         

Seriouslyl, people ar egonna post where they want and interact with who they want. No need for some whamby pamby to come complain about it. You ar enot the boss of people and what they can or cannot do and who they can or cannot interact with. PERIOD.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There are other parts of these boards?

Honestly though WoT and C&C are all I can really keep up with. The individual game sections have their own thing.  

Yes. We do not like the plebs of... the other... boards.

• Like 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Late answer, I don't remember exactly which game it was that brought me here initially, probably KOTOR 2, but I stuck around because I enjoyed the community. I poke around the Pillars boards a little but I don't spend much time with the rest because I either never had a reason to or I didn't bother with the game.

Also, this is where I get my video game news. The fine folks here have somewhat similar interests and tend to let me know what needs knowing without me having to sort through it myself.

• Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21